Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Strange email from LBS regarding cranks on my Bionicon
  • weeksy

We’ve tried to fit Shimano SLX cranks to this model in the past, but the Shimano Hollowtech 2 BB is too narrow to work with the suspension system.

Basically i was looking to take off the GXP and Truvativ cranks and fit an SLX/XT/Shimano set of cranks…

Anyone work anything out in what he’s saying and what he could possibly mean ?

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Chain rubbing against the swingarm (behind the chainset) with a narrower Shimano BB? The swingarm looks pretty chunky to me so a wider BB would prevent that.

pickle
    Free Member

So i take it they are saying that the the frame pivot point comes out to far to allow for the SLX crank set to be fitted?? what a pile of old tosh! maybe they are talking of the old internal bearing BB and crankset? surely the standard new holowtech external BB and crankset is no diferent from the one you have fitted? 😕

Tebbalot
    Free Member

Maybe they mean that the bb length, i.e the axle isn’t long enough for the cranks to clear the suspension on either side. Not sure why that would only affect a particular model of cranks though?

EDIT: what they were saying

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Truvativ and Shimano BBs are different dimensions as I recall.

pickle
    Free Member

i would think that with the spacers provided all external bearing BB’s are made to the same standard measurements?

Rickos
    Free Member

How wide is the BB? You may have to go Saint or something if it’s a wide one like some DH bikes.

weeksy

Answer unknown mate, bike is being couriered down to me as we speak.

pickle
    Free Member

I’d upgrade those pony pedals as well while you’re at it 😉

weeksy

They are only on as he said “it doesn’t come with pedals”…

“can you throw a set on please!”

was my reply…

They’ll be kept as generic spare pedals for this and my 29er.

ltheisinger
    Free Member

I believe your bike has an 83mm BB and the SLX only do 68/73mm BB width, so I think that could be your problem.

I_Ache
    Free Member

It could be an 83mm BB spacing.

Edit: Balls beaten.

weeksy

I believe your bike has an 83mm BB and the SLX only do 68/73mm BB width, so I think that could be your problem

Interesting…. what would my options be if that were the case ?

I_Ache
    Free Member

Get an 83mm crankset such as saint or any other DH specific or just keep the one on there.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=83mm+BB

Militant_biker

Careful of that shock! I had that one fitted to my Ironwood (mistake by the factory) and whilst it’s a great performer, it’s pretty fragile. Mine decided to deconstruct itself in the Alps on day 2, require mucho bodging to get the bike to work. Bionicon sorted me out with a new, and correct, shock after that.

toys19
    Free Member

Might be a wide swingarm , on my Mountain Cycles Battery they needed wide cranks, mrp camber. Dead nice too.

pickle
    Free Member

well every day’s a school day 🙂

ltheisinger
    Free Member

As said above – Saint is the obvious one, but Race Face do some and there are others.

83mm Cranksets

D0NK

So

We’ve tried to fit Shimano SLX cranks to this model in the past, but the Shimano Hollowtech 2 BB is too narrow to work with the suspension system.

should be

they don’t do slx in that size

?

weeksy

Thanks lads… much appreciated.

dandelion
    Free Member

A guy in the village had the same problem with his Supershuttle – I managed to fit OK to my Edison, but front derailer hit the bash guard when in climbing mode – I had to remove material from inside of bash guard to make clearance. Think he settled for Truativ double in the end.

weeksy

Hmmmm that could be a VERY interesting point there mate. I was out on Thurs (with new Blackspire bash-ring)
    and noticed a noise when in climbing mode…

I guess i’ll be putting back to standard this week and seeing…

I was chatting to my neighbour (with the Tesla and Edison) and he doesn’t get any noises when climbing
    so now you mention that, i rekon you could very well be onto something.

Would be a terrible shame though as the Blackspire looks great LOL

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Strange email from LBS regarding cranks on my Bionicon’ is closed to new replies.