Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)
  • Sram XX – is 2 x 10 the future?
  • tinsy
    Free Member

Get a lot more crap at the back, it wouldnt last like an alloy front ring, but I guess thats not its main priority as you say its damn light, think I would realistically be more interested in a lower in the range 10 speed setup that weighs more and lasts a bit longer.

But I fully understand why you would do the bling flagship model first.

njee20
    Free Member

But an alloy middle ring gets used 50% of the time (all things equal), whilst an alloy cassette sprocket gets used 10% of the time.

Obviously it doesn’t work anything like that, but you know what I mean!

tinsy
    Free Member

Fair point, something in my head doesnt like the sound of an ally ring in the cassette… Or surely someone would have done super light cassettes on the cheap before? Like the racer only ally discs.

Could just be me though… 😕

Northwind

26/39 on the front with the 36T rear sprocket gives pretty similiar bottom gearing to 22T on the front and a 32T rear sprocket. 1.45 vs 1.38. I don’t see that as a dealbreaker personally. Obviously you also lose a little top gear with that setup, but who cares?

If it’s reliable, and once the prices are sane, I’d consider it myself I guess. We do carry around an awful lot of overlapping gears as it stands.

clubber
    Free Member

Also, alloy sprockets in the middle gears (eg 16 to 20ish) have a lot fewer teeth than 36 which is a big part in considering wear.

njee20
    Free Member

KCNC do cassettes with alu sprockets, various other manufacturers do them too, they don’t wear well, but no one’s done a 36t sprocket before. They also tend to snap, but where the sprocket joins the carrier, the fact they’ve done away with the carrier makes me think it’s alu.

Northwind

I guess it’ll depend on the surfacinging as well, that can make a huge difference. This isn’t pushbikes, but renthal make a hard anodised allymotorbike sprocket which lasts a little more than twice as long as most ally sprockets, and about 2/3 as long as steel if looked after. I assume something similiar could be used for mtbs, if it isn’t already.

tinsy
    Free Member

I would love 36t on my bike, thats why I am interested, OK am convinced on the ally thing, 1×10, yeah sounds right to me, and not an overlapping gear in sight. Where do I sign up?

oh and need to see the shifter pods on their own, if you got a pic of that in your pocket!! 🙂

UpQuickDownSlow

Cranks are available in either Pressfit 30 or GXP, with a Q factor of 165mm

So the Pressfit/BB30 and GXP options both have a Q-factor of 165 mm? One of the advantages of BB30 is supposed to be reduced Q-factor.

tinsy
    Free Member

Your right northwind, I think clubber has got that sussed its the ammount of teeth MX sprockets are huge… I am now convinced, ally no trouble.. bring it on..

MrAgreeable

This is no different to 8 to 9 (or 7 to 8 or 6 to 7 or 5 to 6) – there are always (still…) people who say it’ll be a disaster and never work and the reality never actually reflects that.

My commuter with 7-speed gets used every day, never cleaned, left outside in the rain, and I typically get 3 years’ use out of a drivetrain before I have to change everything. Plus it’s a lot less sensitive to poor set-up and filthy cables than 9 speed gearing. And that’s built up with stuff that’s below even the level of Deore!

It’s not a disaster that there’s fancier stuff coming out, but each change gives pretty minimal performance benefits at the expense of reliability and longevity.

bikerbruce
    Free Member

bb30 is lighter as bearing go straigh into the frame…ie.no need for bb cups.
    The q factor is suspect givern is for the bb30 anyway.

Raouligan
    Free Member

Shimano make a 12-36 cassette I think Madison have them on teh website, only deore level though.

With a White Induistries VBC chainset you could have it all now 9speed….

njee20
    Free Member

Yes they’ve just started doing a 29er specific cassette with the 36 you’re right.

I wondered if the chainset weight was for BB30, in which case it’s not that impressive.

tinsy
    Free Member

great, was just about to buy a new cassette… OK then poke your 10 speed… until I can afford it at least!!!

clubber
    Free Member

BB30 chainsets seem to be coming out a bit heavier but apparently a lot stiffer…

njee20
    Free Member

My S-Works one is 530g (plus bearings admittedly).

Dave
    Free Member

Not read all the comments yet but here’s a couple of close ups of the cassette

That Sram XX cassette in close up

Dave
    Free Member

Front shifting is nothing like Duo, you can change when you want, under pressure up and down no problem. The rings are mathematically designed to have more pick up and release points than standard rings.

clubber
    Free Member

Interesting to note that it seems to be using the powerdome type fitting with splines only at the top and bottom – not good for alloy freehubs…

Dave
    Free Member

Sram XX forks

Fork story will be all there when I’ve popped over to the truck to take pictures.

njee20
    Free Member

Doesn’t actually seem to be that much of a problem with Red cassettes, I wonder if it’s alright because it’s 2 wider splines, as opposed to 4 thin ones, distributes the pressure more evenly.

clubber
    Free Member

Yeah, could be I suppose – twice as wide halves the load which is quite possibly enough to make all the difference.

zaskar
    Free Member

Nice option but wonder how much it will cost?

(-fed up of spending more money on bike than a car!)

njee20
    Free Member

Someone muttered at £260 for a cassette I think it was. Seems about right, based on Red.

clubber
    Free Member

Yeah, but no one serious will be buying that – it’ll be for sponsored riders and people with more cash than sense. The rest of us will be waiting for the X9 or X7 versions or using 10 speed Shimano.

UpQuickDownSlow

SRAM Red OG-1090 cassettes seem to be available from £120 – £145 online.

Cross-compatibility with SRAM road groups will be nice. Could use XX front derailleur plus chainset or rear derailleur plus cassette to put low gears on a road bike.

Dave
    Free Member

Standard Q is 156 compared to Noir which is 171 that’s with a GXP b/b. The wider Q is to fit different frame designs.

Dave
    Free Member

But the real question is, out of all the staff the mag could have sent to preview the latest top-end race groupset, why the one who rides a singlespeed and sings the praises of cheapness?

Surely the obvious choice if you want the non-fanboy opinion 😛

(I do own and ride geared bikes you know)

Dave
    Free Member

Images of the XX trigger shifter here;

Sram XX shifter close up

Raouligan
    Free Member

Is the cable pull of XX compatible with teh road groups then, that could allow all sorts of fun options?

Reluctant
    Free Member

It’s only SRAM – not like anyone’ll buy the stuff. When Shimano do a 10 speed off road set up, then I guess we’ll have to consider the pros and cons.

mrmo
    Free Member

but the question remains will be mech snap at the sight of a twig, i guess there won’t be much change from £250??

more interested in what can be done with the new FSA chainset and shimano mechs.

TimBle
    Free Member

jeez not even launched and the NIMBY’s are out in force.. or seeing Red, looking for a rival….

36T sprocket = aluminium.
    Since its seldom used, and made of a nice hard 7075 Al it will last well.

2×10
    don;t knock it till you try it. I had 2×9 for many years and been running 2×10 fir a while. brilliant! bring it on.

For Racers only..?
    Put the NIMBY mindset away for a while and think about this clearly.
    3×9 gives you 13 usable ratios, 2×10 gives you 14… nuff said.

XX uses Road 10speed cable pull ratio therefore it isNOT compatible with X.0, X.9 or X.7
    It will work with road Double tap flat bar shifters,…apparently,…so I’m told.

Brakes are strng enough to kill you with a 180mm rotor.

avdave2

I think I’ll stick with my hub gearing.

AdamT

I’d certainly give it a go when it trickles down to xt level. Perhaps it’s the latent roadie in me?

Dave
    Free Member

Sram XX – the low down.

Bit more info here.

Any more questions for me to ask the designers? I’ll be chatting to them at lunchtime…..

brant
    Free Member

Any more questions for me to ask the designers?

Ask them if they get hacked off with inane questions or statements like “It will snap off in the first crash” or “That will dig holes in an alloy freehub”?

clubber
    Free Member

or if they get hacked off with grumpy bike designers 😛 You miserable git, Brant 😉

Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘Sram XX – is 2 x 10 the future?’ is closed to new replies.