Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Squirt – out of season
  • timwillows
    Free Member

I have been using squirt to lube my chain for a while, but it seems to be struggling a bit not that it is really wet and grimy. Anyone else thinking of going back to oil over the winter?

GW
    Free Member

I can’t get mine to squatt over my chain, no matter what season it is 😕

Zoolander
    Free Member

Yeh I tend to agree – have gone back to wet lube for the winter and might change back in the spring.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

I use it all year round, but apply more regularly. But then I hate having to clean stuff if there is a way not too!

Northwind

I love this stuff for the summer but it seems to be almost completely useless as soon as there’s a lot of mud around, constant chainsuck.

carlphillips
    Free Member

its a pain i think to use in the winter, i have to pretty much lube everytime i go out, something you never have to do with oil…its pretty much a summer lube ime

Stiggy

Yup, great in the summer but gone back to wet lube for the mud.

coastkid
    Free Member

er…nope still on Squirt although winter looming!!,
    though to be fair my local coastal trails are sandy based and of course the beaches i also ride is the same all year round 😮
    still havent found a better lube for beachriding and have tried a few others lately…
    i relube the chain of whatever bike im going to ride before hand re; the above comments…wet lube has been for me like grinding paste in the past,

xcstu
    Free Member

I found it struggled in the summer by dry out 🙁

where as in the winter comes into to it own… 2 coats and let it dry before setting off.. perfect 🙂

coastkid
    Free Member

xcstu i think as you said its about getting a layer of the wax built up..
    love how clean the drivechain is with it…

plop_pants
    Free Member

I am utterly impressed with the cheap chain oil I bought from a Super-U in France recently. Stinks like old engine oil but lasts really well and sheds crap like no other. Only 2euros for a large pot.

damo2576
    Free Member

anyone tried motorbike lube? might be good for winter.
    i’m using finish line wet lube but finding it gets lost in the mud/wet

carlphillips
    Free Member

tj to the forum…..putoline wax is his favourite.

coastkid
    Free Member

i used to use castrol chain wax for beachriding as it didnt wash off…but it slowly built up on the cassette until the chain kind of stuck on it-kinda like rear chain suck!
    its not as bad on an Alfine/SS set up but i have found longest chain life from using squirt,putoline max is also quite good-as TJ will testify 😮

Northwind

I don’t even use motorbike lube on my motorbike :mrgreen:

nuke

Was using Squirt in the Autumn but since it’s got colder I’ve switched as if I put the Squirt on the chain whilst its in the cold garage the day before a ride it would still be milky white when I came to use the bike. Now using RnR Extreme.

Only thing with RnR is whether it’s okay to put it on whilst the chain is still wet. If I leave the chain to dry over night after a ride, the chain is the colour of Luzocade 😕

hambl90
    Free Member

Gt85 all year round

DickBarton

I’m loving the stuff. Bike is washed weekly and gets a fresh coat of the stuff. Lasts very well in my experience. I’m not planning on using anything else.

superfli
    Free Member

I’ve found squirt to be fine through the wet +mud on S.downs. Just make sure you apply it per link roller and if poss do a couple of coats. It does take time to apply, but tis very good IMO.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Squirt – out of season’ is closed to new replies.