Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • South Downs Way Randonee Sat 26th June – Who's riding it?
  • Paceman
    Free Member

I'm signed up for the full 100 mile challenge this Saturday. Looking forward to it in a sadistic way :twisted:. The South Downs trails are in great condition at the moment, so just hoping its not too windy now. Done the training, got my bike set-up sorted, and my food strategy planned. Bring it on!

Anyone else riding it? (35, 65 or 100 miler?)

BHF Link

5lab

I did the route in may with a pair of mates. Was exhausting, and won't do it again, but glad to say I've done it.

Incidentally, was on a 45lb playbike with 2.5" tyres, as we only decided to do it 2 days prior. Some preparation may make it a bit easier 😀

Tiger6791

100 miles 31st July

Paceman
    Free Member

was on a 45lb playbike with 2.5" tyres

Ouch 😯

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

I'm doing the 65 miles, training was going ok until I got gastroenteritis a few weeks ago so didn't bike for about 2 weeks, back on the bike now and did a 42 miler on the South Downs yesterday so hope to be ok, only thing I'm not looking forward to is a very early train to get to Winchester to make the start time. Oh yeah, and hopefully no wind, or a tail wind, the downs is a right pain if the winds the wrong way as it's so open!

plop_pants
    Free Member

Did Eastbourne to Amberley and back yesterday and the trails were great! Very cold start though and had a head/side wind all the way out. Met my mates at Amberley (they started at Winchester) and did the return. Sadly most of them were alot fresher than me and I was grovelling to keep up at times. But after an ice cream, coke and cheese sandwich at Ditchling, went much better.
    Having the water stops waymarked on my gps was really useful as some are easy to miss especially when your chewing the bars. Can't recommend enough having a cheese sarnie or two in the back pocket to take the edge off all that energy drink.

Paceman
    Free Member

Good luck Kojack, especially with the train journey, Southern rail can be rather unhelpful to cyclists at the best of times 😡

luked2
    Free Member

I'll be joining you this Saturday.

100 miles.

Taking the rigid SS 29er this year, having done it with gears and suspension the last couple of years (which is cheating, obviously).

Not yet made the sandwiches though. Probably go for cheese and honey!

plop_pants
    Free Member

respect to the luked2!

limeybloke
    Free Member

What is preferred tyre choice? Currently running Maxxis Ardent – but concerned about tyre wall damage.

Any thoughts?

Paceman
    Free Member

Maxxis Aspens for me Limeybloke, you'll want something fast rolling IMO. My riding buddy is using Conti Speedkings. Both have worked well on the downs over the last couple of months.

Clink

100 miles 31st July

Me too. Lets hope conditions are as good.

Taking the rigid SS 29er this year

Same here – was thinking of dropping from 32×18 to 32×20. What are you using luked2.

elaineanne
    Free Member

tis my birthday that day ..what shall i do 😉

luked2
    Free Member

@clink: I'm using 36×21.

But I have no idea if that's sensible or not. I tried a couple of the hills towards the end on the 26" bike earlier this year, and at 2:1 they were doable (just). So I've geared down a bit from there.

I do know that I used a very similar gear height to yours (46") at Afan, and that was just about right – got up everything but I had to *want* to get up 🙂

tis my birthday that day ..what shall i do

It's a fantastic ride, but quite hard work. I think anyone with a modicum of fitness and determination can do the 65 mile ride. The 100 mile does a get a bit tiring towards the end!

limeybloke
    Free Member

Are Maxxis Ardents too lightweight?

i.e danger of tyre wall damage?

Clink

I'm ruunung Racing Ralph/Maxxis Aspen at the moment and bit worried about tyre damage too…

luked2
    Free Member

I used Racing Ralphs last year. I had a couple of punctures but that was all. I think if they'd been tubeless they would have been fine.

The pinch flat two miles before the finish was particularly annoying!

5lab

I'd strongly reccomend dual ply highrollers with dh inners. Mine didn't puncture once 😀

Paceman
    Free Member

You're only real risk on the South Downs apart from thorn punctures etc is tyre damage from flints, although this has only ever happened to me once in over ten years riding the area, on a brand new Bonty Mud X mid-winter 😐

Your Maxxis Ardents will be absolutely fine, maybe just take a something to use as a tyre boot/patch if you're worried about the sidewalls. or carry a spare tyre 😉

luked2
    Free Member

Just as a followup, I managed to put a sidewall tear in my front Maxxis Ardent today, cycling to work along the Cambridge Guided Bus of Doom.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

A fella I was out riding with on the Isle of Wight at the weekend was doing this – then riding it back the other way on the Sunday. 😯

Maybe I should have explained to him. "On the mainland, see, they have these things called trains…"

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Looks like it's gong to be a scorcher of a day too!

Good luck to those doing the full 100 miles 🙂

Paceman
    Free Member

Lots of info including water points, GPS details, road crossings etc here…

South Downs Way Double website

Getting enough fluids in could be an issue if this weather continues 😕

malibu_babe_28
    Free Member

I'm doing the July 65 mile route. Does anyone know whether there are any water / snack stations along the way. The impression from the blurb I received was that there weren't any, but I'd like to know for certain.

Paceman
    Free Member

Good luck Malibu, see the post above for a link to water station details.

Paceman
    Free Member

BBC are forecasting 26C temperature for Saturday 😕

luked2
    Free Member

Does anyone know what time it starts at Chilcombe?

There seems to be nothing on the BHF's website, and nothing in the bumpf they've sent me.

doglover
    Free Member

imagine it's an early start, prob 6-6.30am for the 100 miler, it was 6.30 when last did it 10 years ago..

Paceman
    Free Member

It's in the "Information for the day" leaflet" they sent out.

Registration open 5:15am, 5:30-8:00 start time for the 100 and 65 miler rides.

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

I phoned them today, the only water along the way will be at the SDW water points, none at any check points, it's supposed to be a self-supported thing, so make sure you fill up at every available tap? They are giving out maps with the tap points on but these could be missed, although judging by the forecast you'll see plenty of riders around them to get water? But, there will be water at the finish points.

Paceman
    Free Member

Good luck guys and gals, i'm off to get the train to the start 😀

wwaswas

interesting program about the Gurkhas annual 'run the sdw' event each year;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b00sqfsc

record is 9 hours 50. but I think they start at QE Park so 70 miles. still, it's quite quick for 2.5 marathons.

spacemonkey

Remember, if you like your energy drink powder then take some in a sandwich bag so you can keep adding it to your refills. Could just give you that extra 10% you need.

spacemonkey

record is 9 hours 50. but I think they start at QE Park so 70 miles. still, it's quite quick for 2.5 marathons.

That's obscene, especially given the number of hills along the way.

doglover
    Free Member

Best of luck anyone doing the 100/65 miler tomorrow ! The view down to the sea at Eastbourne makes it all worthwhile…

Chardo
    Free Member

Good luck to all! I thought about it but did the 100 last year and the pain is a little to fresh. 🙂

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘South Downs Way Randonee Sat 26th June – Who's riding it?’ is closed to new replies.