• This topic has 27 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Jamie.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • sober October ?
  • iainc

Anyone doing this ?

I heard some folk chatting about it so thought I’d have a dry month. Not for any fundraising or whatever, just to have a healthy break. Not really noticed it although could kill a nice Rioja right now 😆

rascal
    Free Member

I am.
    11 days without.
    Used to have a beer pretty much every day.
    Can’t say I’m missing it that much TBH.
    Weirdly felt like eating more though 😕

wrightyson
    Free Member

**** that!

julianwilson
    Free Member

Not for charity, no but the other day i realised i hadn’t had a drink since the 19th or so, so i thought i might as well carry on everything else as normal (ie food, sugar in coffee, riding to work etc) and see if anything fantastic happens to my muffin-top. Not expecting much, i suppose even if i switch off my ‘GP and helath screening forms’ filter i suppose it wasn’t more than 15 units a week and usually less. I would find it much harder to go without cheese than booze!

Jamie
    Free Member

Nope. Although I am planning on quitting soon. As drinking a little bit too much at the mo.

DT78
    Free Member

Becks blue is half decent. Didn’t drink feb to sept for medical reasons. Back drinking the odd beer now when out but have non alcholic at home

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

**** that!

+8
    Someone has to pay for the NHS.

taxi25
    Free Member

Unless you think your drinking to much I’m not sure I get sober October.
    Going to my local and having a couple of pints is one of lifes pleasures to me. I might as well say I’m giving up cyling for a month 😯

bearnecessities

Ah, Mr Rascal, you did it then? Congrats. I was waiting for you to post a link up.

Bob it to me on email or post it here and I’ll happily oblige.

rascal
    Free Member

Taxi –

Unless you think your drinking to much I’m not sure I get sober October.

This comment really pissed me off.
    People do it for all sorts of reasons.
    Mine? My mum died of cancer 6 months ago so I’ve seen Macmillan bods in action.
    Yes I drank a fair bit but the over-riding reason I guess most people are doing it is to get much needed money for this brilliant cause.
    I hope for your sake you don’t get to go through it.

vickypea
    Free Member

I hardly drink these days because I get a lot of migraines, so not much point in giving up my average of 2 glasses of red wine a month!

bearnecessities

Mr Rascal, don’t get pissed off.

Drinking is one of those things where “No chance, I work too hard” is still an acceptable response to giving it up for a month for charity,.

Not said as some evangelist tee-total, far from it, but boozy-woozy is the last socially ‘acceptable’ killer, for now.

taxi25
    Free Member

Thats a pretty aggressive reaction rascal. Sorry about your mum, but cancer has touched my family several times as well 🙁
    For what its worth I’ve helped raise thousands of pounds for numerous cancer charities including Macmillan.
    If anyone wants to do S/O good luck to them. Personally I’d prefer to “do” something rather than not do something as a charity fund raiser.

rascal
    Free Member

Mr Bear
    Normally I wouldn’t react like that…but it’s been a shit year 🙁
    I’m not preachy about it and believe me in November I’ll be back on it big time!

Here’s that link – anything much appreciated. Cheers.

https://www.gosober.org.uk/profile/waynerees

rascal
    Free Member

Soz Taxi

bearnecessities

Thats a pretty aggressive reaction rascal.

What do you expect, he’s pissed sober. 8)

Donated Mr Rascal; stick at it please.

rascal
    Free Member

Blimey Bear…that’s very generous of you chap – thank you.
    I will 100% stick at it…cheers

Drac

Pffft! Not a chance it’s one of my pleasures. Just done 7 days at work totally about 90+ hours so I’m off for a wee nip.

DrP

I’ve given it up for this month.. Not for charity or anything, just as an exercise in ‘self limitation’ I suppose.

Not a big drinker by any means, but noting the new to make an effort some nights..

DrP

rascal
    Free Member

21 days/3 weeks tonight was the last time I had anything alcoholic.
    Pretty pleased with that 🙂

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I’m going to do sober October in November, the pub by where I’m staying with work during the week has the best beer I’ve had in a while and that job should be over in a week or two.

_tom_
    Free Member

Kind of. I haven’t been pissed for about a month now but I’ve still had the odd beer or wine with a meal. I do feel much better for it as well. However I’m going out in London on Saturday so I expect to get absolutely plastered.

Mugboo

Does knocking 3 nights of the week on the head count?
    I worked out that, unless you count being I’ll, I’ve had a drink every night for 18 yrs. My body/belly needs a bit of help now I’m nearly 44. It won’t do my mortgage any harm either.

I might even reward myself if I make it into the new year 🙂

scotroutes

Enforced abstinence due to antibiotics (tick bite/Lymes). Not that I’m a regular or heavy drinker but you don’t half miss a wee beer when you can’t have one and I’ve had to give up bivvying as it would just be wrong not to have a hipflask of whisky.

rascal
    Free Member

Last night on the wagon…

iainc

indeed 🙂 can’t say I’ve missed it so planning on having a couple of glasses of wine tomorrow and then keeping it very much to a minimum. Dont feel significantly halthier/fitter although my Sat am swim time has gone doen a few minutes so must be helping

kayla1
    Free Member

Nah. We started doing it and ended up having a post-ride beer about a week in. We’re grown ups, we don’t drink too much to start with and I did the Dryathlon in January.

Jamie
    Free Member

Enforced abstinence due to antibiotics (tick bite/Lymes).

Isn’t that a myth? Or rather, 98% of antibiotics are fine to drink on, apart from a couple.

http://www.drugs.com/article/antibiotics-and-alcohol.html

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘sober October ?’ is closed to new replies.