Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 162 total)
  • So the beeb lose another sport!!
  • uplink
    Free Member

news corporation own a 39.1 % controlling stake though

and the Murdoch’s only have a ~12% stake in News Corp [although all voting]

CaptJon
    Free Member

phil.w – Member
    I can help out there,
    Per viewer hour ‘9.7p for Casualty’ and ‘3.5p for EastEnders’.

As you said there are lots of other costs to factor in but I would be interested to know how it compares.

Interesting. Where did you find those? And are there any figures for sport rights?

cp

different slant on the figures… Casualty is on for what, an hour? F1 has hours of viewingness per race weekend, so, on a per hour of tv basis, I wonder how it compares?

Eastenders et al are crap and should be disregarded 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

Whilst corporately/legally it could look on paper that he does not own or control it he is effectively the boss – he is the CEO of News International for example and answer to whom exactly? is it the chairman* ?It is a mute point that could be argued either way but does Murdoch strike you as the kind of person who would give away his power within his own empire?
    He is the chairman as well

In August 2005 the Murdoch family owned only about 29% of the company. However, nearly all of these shares were voting shares, and Rupert Murdoch retained effective control of the company.

The stw Geeks now need price per viewer per hour…good luck
    Seems quite cheap when viewed that way tbh

phil.w
    Free Member

CaptJon – Boring morning at work so decided to do some of my own research, found the figures here. Also that the BBC’s sporting budget is £300m a year so that £40 odd million it gives Bernie is quite a large portion.

As yet I’m still undecided if I think it’s money well spent or not. Mostly as I can’t find the true cost of the F1 to the BBC.

MSP

different slant on the figures… Casualty is on for what, an hour? F1 has hours of viewingness per race weekend, so, on a per hour of tv basis, I wonder how it compares?

Eastenders et al are crap and should be disregarded

Thats one of the biggest problems with F1, qualifying, the race and 10 mins before and after the race is all that’s required.

Woody
    Free Member

Thing is, they’ll still be employing This Lot + all the support staff, so the cost of reduced coverage is probably still very high.

I find it very sad but just hope they leave Moto GP alone.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Good link, phil.w, thanks. I’m not surprised ‘enders is so low per viewer as it is relatively cheap to make soaps once they are established (economies of scale etc) and it gets silly viewing figures. £300k and hour is less than half the cost of an hour of (proper) original drama which is about £750k ish.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Good. F1 has become a snore. There are many cheaper and more interesting motorsports and no reason why the beeb should bend over and take it just because Bernie wants them to.

F1 has tended to look east in developing in recent years. The views of 4 or 5 million Brit viewers may not be that important to Bernie.

Junkyard
    Free Member

£1.50 per viewer reducing to 75 p with this deal on BBC news
    apparently the Olympics coverage is also to blame

binners

The views of 4 or 5 million Brit viewers may not be that important to Bernie.

Wasn’t he seriously considering letting the British GP drop from the calander a few years back, unless his Dr Evil style demands were met? As fans of any sport, you’re nowt more than a cash cow for the powers that run it. You’re not generating enough income I’m afraid, you F1 fans. So your opinions count for nothing.

Its just going the same way as football.

There is a limit to this. A lot of my mates have been season ticket holders at Old Trafford for years. Since the Glazers took over, they’ve all now given them up. Sick of being milked for every penny. Bernie, in conjunction with Rupe will continue to do the same until people start voting with their feet.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Good. F1 has become a snore.

I assume you haven’t watched it this season then?

thepurist

I’m not sure we’ve heard the last of this – apparently Ecclestone is meeting the teams this afternoon to discuss the news. I’m wondering if we might see teams arguing for a delayed ‘as live’ transmission of the races or similar.

Also, further to binners’ point about this deal being driven by the greed of Mr E, this blog is suggesting that the deal may have been driven by the BBC trying to offload the sport while still in contract (to the end of 2013). So while it’s Bernie’s commercial decisions that set the price the BBC paid for the rights, they haven’t necessarily been outbid by $ky for the current deal.

thepurist

And according to Bernie (via Martin Whitmarsh) ”The BBC will show every grand prix in full, half of them live and half of them deferred, so free-to-air is available to everyone.”…”Bernie assured me, and I asked him several times, the deferred coverage will not be highlights, it will be a full race.”

Stu

Not many happy folk on the BBC blog comments either…

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/sporteditors/2011/07/f1_coverage_to_be_shared_betwe.html

stevewhyte
    Free Member

If thats the case thepurst then it might not be too bad, but to be honest in another few years the BBC will ditch it and the whole lot will be on Sky, so we are defering the inevitable.

Small glimer of hope mind thanks. 🙂

thepurist

BTW, if anyone’s properly disappointed about this then rather than bicker on here, email someone who can make a difference.

info@teamsassociation.org is the address for FOTA, the Formula One Team’s Association. Tell them what you think.

uplink
    Free Member

I’m fine with a differed full race, I tend to record most of them for Sunday evening viewing anyway

kimbers

i wonder if murdoch ever mentioned this to dave on one of his many unminuted meetings at no.10

Junkyard
    Free Member

Nah he was to busy telling dave what to do next.

CaptJon
    Free Member

grahamh
    Free Member

Is this not the same debate that happened when the BBC lost the rights to F1 to ITV all those year ago?

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

No, it’s completely different.

Over 2100 comments on the bbc blog now

zokes
    Free Member

?”We will give F1 the full Sky Sports treatment with a commitment to each race never seen before on UK television”

– so that will be moronic commentators and adverts every 5 minutes then?

Although no longer in the UK, it’s the BBC’s feed we get here in Oz. Suspect Murdoch will swipe it back to FoxTel now 🙁

Dibbs
    Free Member

They said on the BBC news that the BBC had a 5 year deal with F1 and they re-negotiated it to save money gave it away to part of the Murdock empire.

retro83
    Free Member

TheFunkyMonkey – Member
    No, it’s completely different.

Over 2100 comments on the bbc blog now

4,200 + now. Feel sorry for the poor sod moderating that lot. 🙂

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

M-F

The odd bit actually. Still tedious. LH has attempted to improve it… In money per viewer terms, and in interesting racing move per lap terms it remains pants.

Klunk
    Free Member

i don’t understand why they think having half the races is a good idea, it’s like sharing alternate halfs of world cup matches with sky. If you don’t have sky you won’t bother watching it so you might as well not broadcast is at all.

MartynS

They have all the races, its just that half of them will be “extended highlights”

The F1 generates very little extra revenue The race footage is whats costing the money, commentary is sold on but won’t make a massive amount.

FWIW I think its a shambles but cuts had to be made, Salfords not paying for itself….

andyl
    Free Member

I am sooo pi$$ed off about this. I hate Sky and I hated F1 when it was ITV. The racing was bad enough but the coverage and commentary was just dire.

One hope is that Martin Brundle will sod off to Sky.

The F1 really need to get a grip. Stupid rules that make it more like a Playstation game – i mean WTF is all this DRM zone crap about. Let the drivers decide when to run low drag and stop messing with stuff and rule changes right before an event – sod off FIA!

Hopefully the main daytime races will be on BBC.

Oh and I see the teams are not happy as this could seriously hurt UK viewing figures which means they are less valuable to sponsors.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Rich man’s sport now viewable in full only by those in a position of Globally relative affluence.

As for Footy, I can watch live games for free down my local park. 🙂 Even take part. How much is a ticket to a decent enclosure/stand at Silverstone? And how often would you get the chance to participate yourself?

F1 needs telly to survive, unlike Footy. Well see what a good decision this was of Bernie’s in a few years.

Right for the Beeb to cut it though, simply to expensive and greedy a ‘sport’.

They could cut Golf too, to save money. I wouldn’t mind.

andyl
    Free Member

Bring back decent WRC footage.

El-bent
    Free Member

What a bloody joke! No point in paying a license fee these days with all the stuff the bbc is giving away to other companies.

All part of the deal between Murdoch and Cameron to cripple the BBC. Sky has completely balls-ed up football in this country.

jimc101
    Free Member

20 weekends back a year, and 9 this year isn’t too bad, with this season being OK at best, stopped watching the practice yesterday morning, have zero interst in it anymore.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Won’t be the end of the World though really, will it?

CountZero

I’d happily swap F1 for a season of Touring Cars and the Bathurst 500 in Oz. Touring cars are, and always have been, much more exciting than F1.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Rather watch German DTM than our crappy touring cars.

thepurist

More news on the BBC F1 deal – seems the latest news is that all races will be shown in full via the red button about 3hrs after they’ve finished. That works for me! 😀

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/sep/02/bbc-reruns-sky-formula-one

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Why didn’t the BBC partner with C4?

Personally I’m getting fed up of paying the tv licence for F1 and MOTD.

I’d rather use the money to pay for sky or cable.

Race thats 3 hrs late? Would you settle for a dinner 3 hours late?

BBC is $hit.

higthepig
    Free Member

Would you settle for a dinner 3 hours late?

Yea, but I’d call it tea. Can’t remember a race that was 3 hours late, the end of the Canadian GP was late, but then how often does that happen?

BBC is $hit

And the alternatives are?

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 162 total)

The topic ‘So the beeb lose another sport!!’ is closed to new replies.