Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • "so"
  • deviant
    Free Member

So our new Polish neighbour knocked –

So…. CX Bikes

So what’s your plans for Christmas eve?

So, who is going to win Strictly?

So I am sat here waiting for my wife to go into labour –

All thread titles on the front page of the chat forum at some point today, what does the “so” mean at the beginning of these sentences, surely it’s not actually required?

Maybe i’m just not down with the kids….

Junkyard
    Free Member

this thread is so so

loum
    Free Member

So does starting a sentence with ‘so’ annoy you?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today/newsid_9644000/9644002.stm

househusband

So what.. it’s all part of the ever-transmogrifying language that is English, innit.

Pukka.

😉

scaredypants

like junky, I find this thread so so-so

RustySpanner

Doesn’t bother me that much, tbh.

Certainly not as much as the word ‘shipping’, which appears to have taken over from ‘postage’ or ‘p&p’.
    Especially amongst the particular sub-species of wannabee Americans who also consider ‘swap out’ and ‘fry/cook off’ to be acceptable English.

I hope they all choke on their green beans and candied yams. 😀

Junkyard
    Free Member

FFS cheer up fella
    Happy Holiday 😉

You are not wrong

RustySpanner

Eh, I AM cheerful!

Happy Holiday 😉

Go away quickly.
    🙂

peterfile
    Free Member

Read the classed ads on pinkbike if you want to get down with the kids, every ad starts:

“So here we have….”

skaifan
    Free Member

Would you morse code just an “s” in the event of an emergency?

Three_Fish
    Free Member

‘So’ is used verbally as a means to getting the attention of one’s audience. There are innumerable tones and inflections which serve to prepare the listener(s) for what is coming next, which is why its transition into typed communication can be somewhat clumsy.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I find the use of so so so so so

Northwind

My boss doesn’t just overuse so, he does it incredibly loudly, you can hear it from about quarter of a mile away? Has he got someone in his office? You don’t need to knock, you just wait a minute til an earthshaking SO erupts forth.

bigblackshed

So is a great album. An 80s masterpiece.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Dammit, beaten to it 😡

daveh
    Free Member

Must admit it irritates me too.

maxtorque

So d off……. 😉

bearnecessities

“Well”…(intake of breath)

dannyh
    Free Member

It’s just one of those ‘tics’ that take hold of people from time to time. Like the footballers’ tense, or starting every sentence with ‘look’ a la Martin Keown.

It just makes everyone who uses it sound a bit unimaginative.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’d be taking a hard look at my life if this kind of thing made me start a thread on STW.

boxfish
    Free Member

As you sow, so shall you reap, like…

monkeychild
    Free Member

Soooo, where’s this thread going??

cynic-al
    Free Member

dannyh – Member
    Like the footballers’ tense

What is that?

gwaelod
    Free Member

Certainly not as much as the word ‘shipping’, which appears to have taken over from ‘postage’ or ‘p&p’.
    Especially amongst the particular sub-species of wannabee Americans who also consider ‘swap out’ and ‘fry/cook off’ to be acceptable English

amongst the younger females of this household “shipping” means to link an individual romantically with another individual…which is confusing

bencooper
    Free Member

I use “shipping” because “postage” usually implies using the Royal Mail – and I don’t use them much. Perhaps I should say “couriering” or “delivery”…

jon1973
    Free Member

All thread titles on the front page of the chat forum at some point today, what does the “so” mean at the beginning of these sentences, surely it’s not actually required?

Is it any more necessary than putting multiple full stops at the end of your sentences?

CountZero

deadlydarcy – Member
    I’d be taking a hard look at my life if this kind of thing made me start a thread on STW.

Absolutely

Is it any more necessary than putting multiple full stops at the end of your sentences?

An ellipsis, you mean?

World English Dictionary
    ellipsis (??l?ps?s)

— n , pl -ses
    1. Also called: eclipsis omission of parts of a word or sentence
    2. printing a sequence of three dots (…) indicating an omission in text

[C16: from Latin, from Greek elleipsis omission, from elleipein to leave out, from leipein to leave]

el·lip·sis (-lpss)
    n. pl. el·lip·ses (-sz)
    a. The omission of a word or phrase necessary for a complete syntactical construction but not necessary for understanding.
    b. An example of such omission.
    2. A mark or series of marks ( . . . or * * * , for example) used in writing or printing to indicate an omission, especially of letters or words.
    [Latin ellpsis, from Greek elleipsis, from elleipein, to fall short; see ellipse.]

Kahurangi

dannyh

cynic-al
    What is that?

“We was”?

aracer
    Free Member

It’s the new “content” http://singletrackworld.com/forum/tags/content

JulianA
    Free Member

Starting with ”So’ is really annoying, as is starting with ‘Yes’, ‘No’ or worse still Yeah, no’ or No, yeah’.

kayak23

[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=s7DqwRKqyMk&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Ds7DqwRKqyMk[/video]

geoffj

Three_Fish – Member
    ‘So’ is used verbally as a means to getting the attention of one’s audience. There are innumerable tones and inflections which serve to prepare the listener(s) for what is coming next, which is why its transition into typed communication can be somewhat clumsy.
    POSTED 18 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

But it sounds **** when people start a sentence with it verbally.

ar sub-species of wannabee Americans who also consider ‘swap out’ and ‘fry/cook off’ to be acceptable English.

Can we add build out to the list too? There was a piece on radio 4 yesterday where the interviewees continually referred to building out rather than either just building or building houses.

cloudnine
    Free Member

So…can I get a cod and fries to go.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

But it sounds **** when people start a sentence with it verbally.

To you, it does.

Can we add build out to the list too? form an Académie Anglais to stop all this interfering with our wonderful language.

😉

bencooper
    Free Member

So…can I get a cod and fries to go.

Cod? Fries??

You’d get laughed out of a Glasgow chippy ordering like that 😉

geoffj

What’s this our business? 😡

kimbers

its better than ending a a statement with ‘no?’ to turn it rhetorical
    the no is completely unecessary

jon1973
    Free Member

a. The omission of a word or phrase necessary for a complete syntactical construction but not necessary for understanding.

So what is the omission in this case then?

It still looks like unnecessary dots at the end of a sentence to me.

RustySpanner

I blame Poirot for the ‘no’.

Innit?

pondo

cynic-al – Member

dannyh – Member

What is that? [/quote]
    “So Dave’s gone round him and Ian’s made no attempt to get the ball, he’s just gone straight through him. But other than that, he’s played a blinder, he’s gone down the wing and got the ball in, and John’s risen like a salmon and nodded it in at the near post. I thought we done well today etc etc”

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘"so"’ is closed to new replies.