Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Sliced finger in disc, re-constructive surgery on Wednesday. Ouch.
  • crazy-legs

The mechanic in a bike shop I used to work in was working on a track bike one day – put his finger on the chain to check the tension and absent mindedly spun the wheel at the same time.

His finger went right round between the chain and chainring and it sliced the top third of his index finger clean off. All we heard upstairs on the shop floor was this yell and a string of very loud expletives. Ran down and found him standing there, white as a sheet and now totally silent staring in horror at the tip of his finger lying on the floor.

They managed to save it, we packed it in frozen peas and got him to the hospital quickly.

newbey
    Free Member

Slightly different from the biking injuries, this was done at work in a bar. I made a round of cocktails and then was cleaning up afterwards and didn’t notice that the boston shaker glass had broken around the rim. I was cleaning inside the glass and did a wiping motion and heard a crunching sound. That was the sound of the glass on my bone.

I shouted to the waiter to bring the drinks back to the bar (in case there was any of the glass in the drink) and then I went to A&E. As I was getting X-rayed I took a quick and dirty photo.

Initial cut by hopsinjoor, on Flickr

I ended up needing 5 stitches, and luckily had no lasting nerve damage.

mmmm stitches by hopsinjoor, on Flickr

It looked pretty cool after the stitches had been removed.

after stitches removed by hopsinjoor, on Flickr

miketually
    Free Member

There was someone on here whose young daughter took her finger off on the disc while helping daddy clean his bike.

That table saw is amazing!

My great grandad had a home-made table saw. And 8 fingers.

Those two facts are related…

lemonysam
    Free Member

@alpin,
    Yes, I was slightly anaesthetised. Though I could easily have done it sober to be honest, I was walking along and turned to say something to someone then as I turned bag to face forwards, wham!

Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Sliced finger in disc, re-constructive surgery on Wednesday. Ouch.’ is closed to new replies.