Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Since when did £3k get you this type of crap!
  • argoose
    Free Member

Must be good they’ve sold out LOL

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

On sale at that price for a while so it can be massively reduced and then offered at a mahooooosively reduced sale price.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

OOOOFFFFFFFFTTTTTT

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Bit harsh – want to explain why you think the bike is crap?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

# Shimano Deore XT 30-speed gears
    # Shimano Deore XT chainset and BB
    # Shimano Deore XT hydraulic disc brakes
    # Schwalbe Nobby Nic Evolution 26″ x 2.10″ tyres
    # Fulcrum Red Metal 5 Disc rims
    # Carbon fibre monocoque XC frame
    # Rock Shox Reba SL remote lockout forks with 100mm travel

Seems a relativly high spec

trail_rat
    Free Member

Doesnt look bad and doesnt look like a shite bike halfords made up ( or a boardman)

In 08 i bought a similarly speced bike which rrped at 2599 …..

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Wow. Rebas, XT and Fulcrum 5 – for £3k. They’re hoping to see *someone* coming.

headfirst
    Free Member

What’s crap about it? You ridden it or can direct to a review?

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Or you could head over to Paul’s and pick up a nice carbon 2011 Giant XTC Composite O with similar drive train, and a pair of F100 RL2s and trouser, erm, just over £900 change.

sc-xc

Or you could buy that Inbred that was advertised over, and over, and over, and over, and over again 😉

trail_rat
    Free Member

Ok but how about you talk like for like and compare current models

2012 Scott scale 20 with sids and xt 2899

So just because you dont know any other bike brands other than those that are pushed in your face by your favorite bike magazine or local bike shop ……. Im far from being a halfords fan but you have quite clearly dismissed something you know nothing about …..

getonyourbike
    Free Member
    unovolo
    Free Member

A quick google reveals you can have the same bike for £2365 from life cycles.co.uk.
    Either way it doesn’t really float my boat so my 3k will be staying put.

headfirst
    Free Member

Oh. I didn’t realise crap meant ‘worth between 1.5 to 2.4k’. I’m so out of touch

mrlebowski
    Free Member

The OP is conspicuous by his absence..

irc

Or you could head over to Paul’s and pick up a nice carbon 2011 Giant XTC Composite O with similar drive train, and a pair of F100 RL2s and trouser, erm, just over £900 change.

But only £250 difference at RRP. One is on sale, one isn’t yet.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Is it because you’ve never heard of the brand that its crap?

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Fair do’s – but they’re both available now, and if I were fortunate enough to have £3k knocking about all at once, then I’d do my research I think. “Crap” by the OP is perhaps a touch harsh, but it doesn’t represent fantastic value in my book.

EDIT: “Only £250” isn’t a term I use very often either! 🙂 And I’d also argue the spec on the Giant to be better. There are plenty of other very good carbon framed hardtails around (I headed off to On One for a comparison first of all, then to Cyclestore to look at their Spesh / Giant options and then to Pauls, where you could also pick up a nice Cannondale Flash). I’d be happy saving £250 and getting arguably a better bike.

Finally – I’d do my research and if it was that particular bike that I really wanted, I’d do as previously mentioned, head to a quality LBS like LifeCycles and save over £600. 😯 Sub £2.4k, prepared and serviced by people who know their stuff it looks a lot better value.

paddy0091
    Free Member

Classic Halfords diss.

As others have said it’ll be reduced soon enough as that’s what all large retail chains do. High price for a while > then reduce.

Wouldn’t call it crap either. In all honesty I’d rather ride around on that than a Specialized or Trek equivalent.

chakaping
    Free Member

Crap = fair comment IMO.

Maybe worth half that at most.

headfirst
    Free Member

Hmmm, crap is what I use to describe BSOs, not 1.5k carbon framed xt specced bikes.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Sorry but that looks hideous value! Wheelset is currently £140 on CRC. Rebas are dirt cheap OEM entry ones currently on Merlin for £250.

First bike I plucked out of the air: Whyte 20-CS £2500 http://www.whytebikes.com/2012/bike_page.php?ModNo=W-1-007-12

And if the 19 Carbon is anything to go by, a universally well-regarded bike offering better kit for significantly less money. You’d need your head checking to buy that Halfords bike IMO.

GaryLake
    Free Member

And what the hell is going on with that seattube, seatstay, toptube junction!? 😯

mtbtomo
    Free Member

A full XT groupset is £800rrp, Rebas £400rrp, Fulcrum wheels £200rrp…..that leaves £1600 to buy a frame, tyres and some contact points….and assumes paying full rrp.

It might not be bad kit, and it might be as good kit as you need but £3000 is a plain rip off.

Its not about it being sold in Halfords. Its just not good value.

Northwind

CaptainFlashheart – Member

On sale at that price for a while so it can be massively reduced and then offered at a mahooooosively reduced sale price.

Incredibly obviously this.

iDave
    Free Member

“Allowing oneself to conquer that fascination of wild nature, to be lived together with BORN FOR RUNNING bicycles.

When the craving for adventure and high technology meet, new proposals are born, destined to become legends. Whistles’ claim starts here: a passion without barriers, where freedom reaches out into the territory of advanced engineering research.”

Fab. I want one.

Junkyard
    Free Member

i want some of the drugs used by the person who wrote that.

overpriced for what it is. Whilst this is true of almost all MTB it is particularly true of that one irrespective of where you can purchase it

boltonjon

I got the same wheels on my Zesty and they are dreadful! 😀

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

Wot flashy said.

it’ll be half that price at some point in the near future.

RustySpanner

paddy0091 – Member

Wouldn’t call it crap either. In all honesty I’d rather ride around on that than a Specialized or Trek equivalent.

Just out of interest, why?

kevolution
    Free Member

They don’t give any info on the grade or lay up of the carbon fibre. It might be really good quality composite and a bargain, just not a recognised brand that markets it’s qualities in the UK yet.
    The spec is good, so if the frame materials and construction match it, halfords could have a good bike there. Shame it’ll be prepped by teenage oiks.

Woody
    Free Member

About the Whistle Brand

Allowing oneself to conquer that fascination of wild nature, to be lived together with BORN FOR RUNNING bicycles
    Shoorley that has to be a dodgy translation?

boltonjon

There is clearly some ‘anti-Halfords’ brigade on STW, and i’m sure they have their reasons.

Personally, i hate them and wouldn’t consider buying a bike of them, but that’s nothing to do with my experience in buying bikes of them

It comes from previous experience from buying car parts. When trying to find car parts for a repair, they typically had the right part 10% of the time. Then, when you asked a question, you were served by a gormless spotty 17 year old who knew nothing about cars, except how to fit a stupid stereo or body kits.

Since getting back into biking, i’ve wandered around Halfords and its a cycle shop set up for families. Full of family cycling stuff.

The staff are still as gormless as ever.

Yes, i think the Boardman bikes are good, but i’d never buy one. I’d much prefer a brand from my LBS

Would i buy the bike on the link above – hell no. If i wanted a cheap far east carbon frame with some nice bits. i’d go to On-0ne

Call me snobbish, but if i’m spending £2K+ on a bike, then i want a quality & recognisable brand – not a stupid marketing exercise of a sh*t shop

andypaul99
    Free Member

joke right?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Jimbo, Northwind, good to see some folk grasp the simplicity of retail!

(Jimbo, hope life’s good for ya!)

juan
    Free Member

Just out of interest, why?

Well ride a specilized and then you won’t have to ask this question. The SO as one, and to be fair it is very well marketed, but not the best bike to ride.

Paceman
    Free Member

Price it high so they can give it a massive sale price reduction later and still make money on it.

julianwilson
    Free Member

Nice looking bike, but given the parts hanging off it, unless the frame is made from platinum and parts greased with unicorn tears, they will be expecting to sell them for £2k not £3k.

Halfords have long been the ‘officers club’ (as in 70% “off” clothes shop) of the bike world when it came to Apollos and so on, whereas in recent years I thought that Voodoo, (most) Carreras and Boardmans were pretty reasonably priced at ‘full’ price. I hope this is not a sign of this happening to ‘proper’ bicycles there too. 🙁

RustySpanner

Juan,

I’d better get rid of my steel 2001 Rockhopper then.
    It’s been ridden all over Britain, on and off road, raced, toured and commuted.

Thanks for letting me know, I didn’t realise that such a light, comfy and fun bike was actually a steaming pile of crap. 🙂
    I’ll dump the Trek road bike whilst I’m at the tip as well.

Amazing what you learn on here isn’t it? 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Since when did £3k get you this type of crap!’ is closed to new replies.