Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Silencing a pro II rear hub with grease
  • sonofapitch
    Free Member

Is it just a case of cassette removal and then packing the freehub body housing with grease?
    Question is how much quieter is it and how long will it last?
    also will it not just attract dirt and crud

LenBuch
    Free Member

Why would you want to silence that wonderful sound!

wwaswas

a little bit quieter for a while.

no more crud than normal if you clean the outside of the seal once you’ve refitted.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

If its quiet it means the pawls are not engaging properly. Sorry even packed with grease it will not be quiet for long an you run the risk of non engagement

neninja
    Free Member

I found putting a load of gear oil inside instead of a smear of grease made it quieter. I missed the noise and cleaned it out and replaced with grease though.

ahwiles
    Free Member

Why would you want to silence that wonderful sound!

because it’s bloody annoying?

a bucket full of grease took the edge of it, but not for long.

wwaswas

I run Pro2’s on all my bikes now.

Walkers have stopped telling me I need a bell so it’s not all bad.

zoota

Yep pawls will Stick closed if packed with to much grease but a excessively noisy hub does also mean it may need a light greasing

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

I was always of the understanding that you should never put grease in the freehub, only oil as the grease will cause it to stick. That’s what I do anyway although I could be wrong.

honourablegeorge

Why do you want it quiet?

What have you got to hide?

Speshpaul

Pro 2 free hub + horses = SNAKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cp

they come from Hope with grease in. At least mine did.

Anyway, DONT pack loads of grease in there – as TJ and others comment, you wont get full pawl engagement which even if it works, could lead to limited life span.

Embrace the click 🙂

letmetalktomark

I can second chain lube – have used on non Hope hubs in the past.

Less of a chance of the pawls not engaging.

My two sets of Pro II Evo hubs came with a smearing of grease – I love the sound 😆

kaesae
    Free Member

The Pro 2’s have too much drag because of those springs that make that lovely noise!

Compared to my bulb rear hub on my Trek Fuel the Pro 2 on my DH bike slows down and stops far too quickly for my liking.

As for making it quiet without risking compromising it’s functionality, hit and miss!

If you want to alert people that you are approaching I can heartily recommend a mongol or comanche battle cry, works every time 😉 !

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcIt4ON1_vY[/video]

messiah
    Free Member

I use oil in mine. Quieter and less drag… it’s a win-win :mrgreen:

fivespot
    Free Member

I use a semi fluid grease, doesn’t cause pawls to stick, and doesn’t spread out like thick grease, causing the pawls to become noisy again. Simples 🙂

mttm
    Free Member

I’ve used Pace RC7 grease in ProII freehubs for years. It’s a really slick grease (it used to be badged as “suspension grease” but is now officially “general purpose grease”, or something like that). Anyway, you shouldn’t pack it in, but you don’t have to be mean with it either. Shuts them up beautifully – mine are all nearly silent. Non-engagement has been a complete non-issue.

messiah
    Free Member

I’ve tried using the Pace grease and Manitou M-prep stuff but the hub got noisier over time. Oil sloshes around inside and hence works better… IMHO etc etc.

bigjim

I pack mine, and it works quite well, no issues with engagement whatsoever. Well it worked until I last jet washed anyway!

float
    Free Member

the noise is there to remind you to pedal 😉

ramalama
    Free Member

You can make it a bit quieter if you put some grease in to the free hub, but you need to be cearful because if you put too much in there, or use a thick grease it can make the ratchets clog up and can lead to the free hub dragging or non engagment.

jimmy23cricket
    Free Member

My pro 2 is no louder then a rippling mouse fart. I think down to uber grease packing by the guy who built the builder.

I specifically had wheels built around them as I quite like the idea of loud ratchety sounds, reminds me of riding with spoky-dokeys as a kid and that’s just an awesome feeling.

I feel that I have been swindled in some way….

kaesae
    Free Member

I’ll stick to the cartridge bearings and good quality cnc hubs myself to be honest 😀

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBNIyJPHFSw[/video]

wwaswas

the noise is there to remind you to pedal

🙂

I notice this on my singlespeed – I tend to spin and coast on flattish bits and the noise reminds me it’s time to spin a bit…

epicyclo

The Hop hub ABAWD* is one of the best reasons to buy them – where else could you get such an advanced training tool that lets you know you’re slacking without involving a fortune in electronics?

*Anti-Bludging-Audible-Warning-Device

cp

I also like it as an alternative to a bell on trails or round town. Folk here you coming.

sonofapitch
    Free Member

Just stripped it down and noticed one of the spring pawls has snapped.:-(
    Any of you nice chaps got a spare spring?

Sum
    Free Member
    jameso

I had some success shutting up that godawful racket (tbh it grew on me, but after having a totally silent SS screwq-on hub I wasn’t a fan at first) by packing the area around the pawls with thick grease and flexing the springs in a tiny amount. Less forceful click and sound-deadening / reduces the sound box effect it seems.
    Too much grease can stop them engaging it’s true, but packing the freehub mechanism out, rotating it for a while with the bike in a stand moves the grease out without risking damaging un-engaged pawls from pedal load. It came back a bit after a month or so’s riding, but has never been as loud as it was new. Now it’s more new-Shimano level, ie I get used to it and ignore it but walkers still hear it if I’m approaching slowly.

Haze

I love the sound of my Pro2, things just weren’t the same after I changed the bearings.

Thankfully it’s getting back to it’s best!

adstick
    Free Member

Actually the noise is not there to remind you to pedal…

It’s to remind the person in front of you that you’re not pedalling. 😉

coatesy
    Free Member

Springs are also available without the pawls, around £2 or £3ish for a set(if 1 goes, the other 3 won’t be long joining it).Any Hope dealer should have them, we’ve always got at least 4 sets as they’re regarded as general service items in our workshop.

eshershore
    Free Member

don’t want too much grease in there, just retards the free movement of the pawls / springs and will accelerate wear and tear as well as reducing freehub performance under load

always rebuilt mine (2 sets of wheels) with a couple of drops of Finish Line Dry chain lube after cleaning, and gotten very good performance and long durability, with plenty of clicky Pro II noise to enjoy when freewheeling

done this for plenty of customer’s wheels with no issues to report

if the clicking irritates…you are not pedalling fast enough 😉

bm0p700f
    Free Member

I can’t say I have ever noticed the sound. I must have got used it blotted it out. I love my hopes and I don’t think I will ever ditch them.

Haze

Don’t blot it out, embrace it 🙂

martinxyz
    Free Member

spray it with GT85 every weekend.

martinxyz
    Free Member

(workshop is quiet,need more work) ;O)

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Silencing a pro II rear hub with grease’ is closed to new replies.