Home Forums Bike Forum Sick as a dog so, show me you Bivi / Bikepacking / Adventure racing gear…..

• This topic has 2,850 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by NZCol.
Viewing 40 posts - 2,521 through 2,560 (of 2,851 total)
  • Sick as a dog so, show me you Bivi / Bikepacking / Adventure racing gear…..
  • richpips
    Free Member

Alpkit drybags but otherwise DIY.

[/url]
    Nice weather please[/url] by RichSeipp[/url], on Flickr

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

What size dry bags are people using for there home made seat packs ??
    Ive got a 8 ltr one to try but think next size up would be better ?
    think next size is 13 ltr

richpips
    Free Member

We went out last night to test out our bivy bags in the wind and rain.

All good 🙂

[/url]
    Bikepacking[/url] by RichSeipp[/url], on Flickr

@stumpy_m4 I use an 8 litre one, I found a 13 too unstable.

DrP

Here’s the results of the inspiration…

Want to have a go making a seat pack system too….!

DrP

cvilla

RP, what bivi bags are those please, they look useful when it’s windy outside.

richpips
    Free Member

Good work DrP. In my experience making a seat pack is a good bit more tricky.

@cvilla

They are Integral Designs Cocoons which Rab have rebranded as the Ridge Raider. http://www.needlesports.com/ have them on a 1/2 price sale atm.

DrP

In my experience making a seat pack is a good bit more tricky.

I can imagine…
    I’ve made some mock ups in cardboard as there’s a bit more ‘3d modelling’ involved.
    Did you try to copy a current design (i.e wildcat tiger’) or just wing it?

DrP

slugwash
    Free Member

Sterling work DrP. In these days of butterfly stitches and keyhole surgery it must be difficult to pick up the necessary sewing skills 😉

I really must get around to cobbling together a frame bag for my Inbred sometime soon. I’ve been gazing at the material for the last two years.

richpips
    Free Member

Did you try to copy a current design (i.e wildcat tiger’) or just wing it?

I took the pattern for mine from the link below, but my translation was not thought through properly.

My current set up has no harness just 4 webbing straps. 🙂

http://www.bikepacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,2611.0.html

TBH for the work involved in thinking it all through and maybe making a prototype or two I would say it’s worth in this instance just buying one.

Another consideration is, unless your machine will handle a thick thread is that the harness unlike the framebag has a good deal more stress on the stitching. I exploded my harness stitching quite easily cinching it all down nice and tight even though it had all been double stitched.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

DrP … frame bags looks excellent what size frame is the scandal ? ….only asking as im about to try and make one for my 16″ scandal and looks quite small compared to yours 🙁 …
    Keep em coming people

DrP

The frame is a medium -18 inch, but the internal triangle area is a lot smaller on this frame compared to most other similar sized frames…
    My old steel frame would have a bag with perhaps 10 more litres in it, for a similar sized frame… Skinny tubes etc..

DrP

DrP

Little halloween solo bivvy adventure last night – started out calm and mild, ended up blowing a hooley in the pouring rain!!

DrP

AlexSimon

Well done for getting out DrP! Overall still a positive experience?
    Or just character building? 🙂

DrP

..mostly character building…Plus, I wanted to ‘test out’ the frame bag wouldn’t fall apart on it’s first outing.
    The bivvy spot is only about 10 miles from home, so wouldn’t be the end of the world if it’s innards spilled all over the South Downs….

However, bivvying is more fun with
    a) friends
    b) nice weather…

DrP

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

How stable are these large seat packs ? …. do they move much or are they rock solid ?

AlexSimon

Just noticed that the Lamina 35 sleeping bag is £60 on Sport Pursuit at the moment.
    I’ve had it for the last 3 years and loved it.
    Cheapest lightest synthetic bag I know of.

DoctorRad
    Free Member

Thanks! Got the Lamina 45 as I wanted a left-hand zip and probably won’t be doing much when it’s too cold…

yorlin
    Free Member

Minor PSA – Salsa Anything Cages (the new 2014) version available just now… not sure how many he has.

http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/new-2014-salsa-anything-cages-fargo-enabler-3762-p.asp

Got mine, they seem pretty strong, 146g for the cage, 177g altogether, which is a fair bit more than what the packaging says, guess it’s the old packaging though. Seems like a decent bit of kit. If it breaks off I will report back! 😮

luddite
    Free Member

richpips
    What size dry bags are they?
    Does the front move about much wi just one strap on it?
    What’s in them?
    And re the rear one how do you manage to keep it up for so long? 😉

richpips
    Free Member

richpips
    What size dry bags are they?
    Does the front move about much wi just one strap on it?
    What’s in them?
    And re the rear one how do you manage to keep it up for so long?

13l on the front of mine, all the others are 8l.

Surprisingly stable, though you could add another shorter strap to the headtube if you were caning it over big stuff.

Bivvybag and sleeping bag up front, clothes behind.

The rear I used 3 straps which all needed to be tight. Really fiddly to get it right. Since then I’ve gone back to a conventional seatbag: more weight empty, stable, and quick to get things in and out of it.

jmatlock
    Free Member

Massive thanks to Stuart at Bear Bones Bikepacking.

Ordered a MyTiMug Stove kit on Sunday night. It came today.

He put up with a fair few noob questions from me.

Thank you Sir.

cinnamon_girl

Has anyone used the Wildcatgear Tiger seat bag?

Thinking of credit card b & b for a few days, don’t want to use panniers so wondering whether this plus a backpack would be sufficient.

Thanks. 🙂

Tiger6791

Yes and it’s very good.

It basically holds a dry bag very secure so you can just unclip & remove the dry bag to open / take with you.

Makes for very easy to use storage

AlexSimon

I use mine with an 8L bag, but it could probably manage a bit more.
    Try packing a dry bag and seeing if it will hold all you need.

I would think you’d manage, but it depends how many changes of clothes you want to take 🙂

jimbothejetset
    Free Member

What’s peoples tarp recommendations. Looking for 2×2 or bigger, plenty of attachment points and eyelets that won’t rip with a bit of a wind. I’d say a decent tarp is my only let down and the moment.

I await some wisdom, cheers all.

Tiger6791

Alpkit Rig7

Rig 7

cinnamon_girl

Thanks Alex and Tiger for your replies. I don’t have a dry bag and don’t really think I need one although do have a rucksack liner that could be adapted.

I’ve done minimalist before but, in any case, this would definitely be a Spring or Summer adventurette. 8)

Tiger6791
    cinnamon_girl

Ah, thank you Tiger. Looks useful!

I can’t seem to find out the actual measurements of the Tiger pack, could anyone give me an idea? Thanks. 🙂

jimbothejetset
    Free Member

Looks good that one Tiger, nice size and weight too.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Looks good that one Tiger, nice size and weight too.

Unless you want something very specific the Rig 7 is hard to beat.

Bear Bones guide to the Rig 7 – part 1

Bear Bones guide to the Rig 7 – part 2

Tiger6791

I can’t seem to find out the actual measurements of the Tiger pack, could anyone give me an idea?

Here you go with 8L

Blackhound

You won’t get much more than a 8l bag in a Tiger but they are excellent.

I use my Tiger for shorter trips in good weather as I get my sleeping bag and a few bits in there. For longer trips I end up using a Porcelain Rocket seat pack which holds a lot more.

Tiger6791

Tiger, nice size and weight too.

Errrr, thanks, I think 😕

😀

jimbothejetset
    Free Member

No problem, colour and circumference is also a winner…. Lol

Tiger6791

A photo from the weekend;

Bike + Sun[/url]

AlexSimon

Well done for getting out!

composite
    Free Member

Photo from this weekend just gone.

Houns

Apologies for this. I have seen comments on this site sometime ago about such bivvy tents, but can’t remember where and I’m not going through 74 pages on this thread to see if it was here.

Anyway

Anyone use this type of thing? Your thoughts??

Viewing 40 posts - 2,521 through 2,560 (of 2,851 total)

The topic ‘Sick as a dog so, show me you Bivi / Bikepacking / Adventure racing gear…..’ is closed to new replies.