Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Show me your ST4's and rate them.
  • Chipbutty
    Free Member

Been looking at Orange ST4s as an all round trail bike. Anyone fitted a 140mm fork to one? How does it handle? It would be for riding local trails such as Strathpeffer and Learnie, with bigger days out in the Cairngorms and like. Im currently riding a Heckler, but fancy something a little lighter and sprightly.

DPM

I have one & am growing to love it. It’s only 4 weeks old & to be fair it has taken a little while to get the fork & shock bedded in (maybe why it gets such rubbish mag reviews…??), but after a big weekend riding in the Howgills last week & a little more fettling, this weekend all of a sudden it suddenly clicked & was amazing!

I love the look & feel of it. Mine has 140mm forks on it which I think really works.

It is def light & sprightly – it climbs like a goat & feels awesome. I’m not one for super lightweight bikes so for me the ST4 is a perfect compromise of something burley enough to feel ‘solid’ but agile enough to nip around singletrack with. My main riding is around the Peak, so this feels perfect for that.

I’ve bought it as my UK trail bike – I’ve a Patriot for ‘big’ stuff, so seems to make a great team.

GRAEMEJONES

I really like mine, I’d buy one again if it broke!I was thinking of the 140mm fork option but iirc the frame is only recommended for up to 130mm.I’ve done big rides on the gnarly stuff in the Lakes, that was the only time it’s felt like it was pushing it as far as travel wise.It’s mainly used in The Peaks, 7 Stanes.
    No complaints so far anyway. 😀

Paceman
    Free Member

Is an ST4 lighter and more sprightly than a Heckler??? Maybe a little but I doubt you’ll notice a huge difference.

granny_ring

At last!

Just finished putting mine together, not been out on it yet. Need to make a few adjustments. Looking at pic above think I need to route rear brake hose under the bb.
    Anyhow pleased with how it looks.

Any ideas roughly how much air in shock for 13st rider?

davo
    Free Member

nice bike but whats that stem all about?

billybob
    Free Member

I came very very close to buying one… in the end I was seduced by a specialized camber, mostly as I thought it was far better value for the money.

GRAEMEJONES

I’ve just checked my rear shock, 90 psi, and I’m 12st ready to ride. So I would guess have a start at 100psi in it and see how that feels to you.
    HTH. 🙂

flow
    Free Member

That stem is offensive.

http://www.mojo.co.uk/sagsetup.html

granny_ring

LOL about stem.

FWIW its a hope 70×25 deg! Need front to be fairly high but as I haven’t ridden off road yet left room for adjustment and got a thompson to swap over if needed 🙂

Cheers Graeme, I’ll try that as a starting point.

Not weighed it yet but reckon it’s around 28-29lb so not that light.

binners

I have to confess to lusting after Graham’s ST4 on Saturday’s rivi ride! Gorgeous! And I never thought I’d say that about an orange! I’d just worry that I was a bit too… Ahem… Substantial for one

And he was right up my chuffed all the way down San Marino!

DaveVanderspek
    Free Member

More offensive than that stem, are the red hoses on the first bike………They really look messy.
    However, i’m getting to like the look of the ST4, sort of like a SC superlight but not as pretty!

GRAEMEJONES

Binners, we(well I do !} need to do that ride or one very similar soon, please 😛 you’d be right on a st4, just not a short leg friendly one like mine 😉 granny-ring, your pics have gone! I can’t see them now.. 😕

granny_ring

They’re still there when I look at the thread?

You are covered using a 140mm fork I checked, got the forks set at 130 at the mo, easy enough to wind in/out to 120-140

GRAEMEJONES

Pics are back now 😉 As for your brake hoses,I just replaced mine because I could, in Red 😀 and that’s how they were routed from new.Mine was a full bike on the Cycle to Work Scheme, I would think if you have no issues as yours are now don’t bother moving them, there’s less chance of them getting struck by rocks etc, just a thought ! 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Show me your ST4's and rate them.’ is closed to new replies.