Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Should I buy a Cove Hummer
  • Pezzers
    Free Member

Opinions on these please, I am thinking about adding a Hummer to my stable which already consists of a Stiffee and a Hustler. Stiffee is good but very harsh and a bit of a brute. Hustler is great but overkill for most stuff and I find myself only riding it for big days out trail centres etc. Both current bikes are 30lb plus and I ride them for everything and everywhere. I fancy something a little more comfy than the stiffee but a bit lighter and quicker uphill than the hustler.

Obvioulsy both of these would probably go but anyone got a hummer they love or anything to say about them I would be interested to hear.

Thanks.

yossarian
    Free Member

Lots of reports of them cracking on here recently.

Personally I’d sell the pair and buy a short travel trailbike like an ST4 or a spearfish if you are liking the big wheel ting.

DuggieStyle
    Free Member

Lots of reports of them cracking on here recently.

Personally I’d sell the pair and buy a short travel trailbike like an ST4 or a spearfish if you are liking the big wheel ting.

By lots do you mean one?

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Great bike just watch the sizing they come up big.I had a 2005 one in 18″ was to big for me at 5″9.Got a 2009 17″ great.Your love it.There was a new one on here for sale a while back 09 at £900.

Lovely ride.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I really like the hummer but would find it hard to justify one over the handjob, which is a stunning frame and lovely to ride not to mention less than half the price of the hummer.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

True but depends how long you keep it!!!.There doesnt seem to be many Cove dealers anymore.

loum
    Free Member

ElShalimo

HJ is lovely
    Merlin sell cove frames and some custom builds.
    I’ve seen some HJ frames in the sales recently around £400

pebble
    Free Member

Hi, I have a 2009 18″ full bike on Ebay at the minute. I would be willing to sell just the frame only though which came from Moonglu. I have the receipt available. The bike has not been ridden as I have been riding my 2002 Rocky mountain Blizzard the last few years.

Anymore details, just get in touch

Rob

oldfart

Here ya go Pezzers http://www.certini.co.uk/COVE-Hummer-p9777.html
    price is a bit friendlier !

slackalice
    Free Member

Do it!

I bought a little used 09 Litespeed Hummer last April and I’m loving the sublime feel of the ride! I’m 5’10” and the 17″ frame with a 90mm stem and low rise monkeylites suit me perfectly – but we all seem to like set up in our own ways.

To put into some perspective,I bought my first mtb in 1988, and a succession of 2 steel framed hardtails including a paint splatter Explosif (which was fab!)until 2000 when I got my SC Superlight. I also have a P7 that my SO rides now as a daily commute bike. I love my superlight and still ride it but since getting the Hummer, I’m torn as to which one I take out!

It feels strong yet light and nimble (I’ve put some 100-130 TALAS on it), certainly comfy enough for long days out and whilst I’m not a phat air type, for the kinda XC stuff I do with the occassional launch off steps n drops, it feels like it could do more than I can/want to.

Chain suck is a bit of an issue, but I’ve yet to fettle with the chainline, so I just give it some mechanical sympathy when dropping into the granny ring and back off a bit on the pedals.

There have been reports of Ti frames cracking and whether thats because of the material or some lard-arse dropping and jumping stuff that the XC label isnt designed for, I dont know. As far as I’m concerned, I always wanted to capture the zing of steel with the sharpness just rounded off a little. I was looking for an XC weight and responsiveness with a measure of longevity. I believe I’ve found it with the Hummer.

Other people here will always be entitled to their opinions and I daresay, some are based on personal experiences. This is mine. I love my bike/s!

thegerminator
    Free Member

Have an 08 purchased 2nd hand
    been a fab machine.
    Confidence inspiring, climbs
    really well syths through the
    singletrack and descends almost
    as well as my 5spot.
    Temporarily retired having been
    ridden through the last three
    winters, needs some tlc.
    The titanium “feel” means 6-7
    hours of exmoor, dartmoor or
    the q’s is a blast,it’s a class act.

Pezzers
    Free Member

Thanks guys
    Pebble is yours the latest incarnation of the frame? how tall are you etc?

Oldfart thats a good price but I have seen some for £1199!

emsz
    Free Member

My dad loves his, and he reckons he probably won’t buy another bike, and if his Hummer breaks, he’s going to buy another one.

pebble
    Free Member

Hi Pezzers,

It is a 2009 last of the Litespeed versions. I am 5ft 11″ and the 18″ is fine.

The new version is Lynskey made as are the ones for £1199 on Ebay.

As far as chainsuck is concerned – Shimano rings with a 50mm chain line is the best option.

slackalice
    Free Member

Apologies for possible tangent….

Pebble: Interesting to read your comments re chainline dim and Shimano rings. Mine runs with a RF crankset. Doubtless there will be a thread on here that’ll detail how to check chainline….

Oh, and echo completely germinator and emsz.
    Ta

pebble
    Free Member

Some users have had big problems with chainsuck on the Litespeed frame, some have never had a problem.

I e-mailed Cove about this and this is there response:-

I found as long as the chain line was at 50mm things tended to function properly. Now, Raceface chainrings seem to be the culprit with the Hummer chainsuck problems I have dealt with in the past. As soon as I changed the middle ring to a Shimano things were golden. The Raceface rings seem to have way more pick-ups and pins on the middle ring, combine that with some mud and suck goes the chain

slackalice
    Free Member

Thanks pebble. Great info and top dude for taking the time to post your info. My subscription has already been justified!!

Looks like I’ll go get me a Shimano 32 middle ring… Are the BCD’s compatable?

mccett
    Free Member

We did a demo day a few years back and so i got to ride my 2004 Handjob and then straight after round the same loop, the demo Hummer. It was nice, probably not a grand difference in frame nice as you could put that towards some very nice parts for a Handjob. But, as its one of the few Coves i havent owned i would probably have one one day just to tick off. Think i’d go for an older one though.

My Handjob is the only bike i will never sell.

pebble
    Free Member

Slackalice,

It depends which chainset you are running. I am always about 10 years behind in groupset terms so the Hummer I have for sale is fitted with a Shimano M751 Chainset with BCD of 104 which is also obtainable by Race Face (Prodigy chainset). To get a 50mm chainline with this chainset I needed a 118mm axle length XT bottom bracket which is fitted to the bike.

To prevent any damage by chainsuck,I was going to fit some large tie wraps on the chainstay or an old inner tube. If both the correct chainrings and bootom bracket are fitted I can’t see a problem with the older Litespeed frames.

slackalice
    Free Member

Thanks pebble

Mine is a Deus XC with an external hope bb and given I didnt build this bike up, lordy only knows what length it is (although was assurred by the guy who did that he had set the chainline to 50mm), so I’ll pull it apart at some point/check the RF site for chainline specs/measure yadda yadda.

Ive found the chainsuck issue is very erratic and does tend to occur more in the gloop, so I’m tending to err towards a middle ring issue.

Must confess to preferring the internal square taper bb’s of old…

shiny
    Free Member

yes…I have had 2..the current is a litespeed built one. Currently about to try an Niner Air 9 Carbon so the frame is for sale. I would buy another one in a shot. I am 5′ 9″ and ride an 18″ with a 70mm stem and fit is perfect. Also had a HJ but sold as way too flexy for me.

Good luck and enjoy whatever you decide.

Cheers
    Shiny

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

There was an 18″ 09 for £1099 on stiff a while back.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Should I buy a Cove Hummer’ is closed to new replies.