Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Shortcut on The Beast at Coed Y Brenin
  • dingabell
    Free Member

Going to CYB to do The Beast this weekend, and apparently there is a boring bit (possibly a fireroad climb) that you can cut out. Can anyone explain how we’d go about it?. Also, if we want to go back for another shortish (couple of hours) ride on Sunday, what trail packs the most fun into a short amount of time? Cheers folks.

singlespeedstu

Go past the cafe half way round.
    Carry on following the route uphill until it turns right onto a fire road. Carry straight on up the tarmac until you get to a gate at the top.
    Go through the gate and up the fire road a bit more and the singletrack descends on your left.

dingabell
    Free Member

Nice one Stu. Cheers.

palmer77
    Free Member
    Klunk
    Free Member

after here
    goto here

follow the fire road until you hit the trail head sign

withersea
    Free Member

Yes, a very good short cut, but DO stop at the cafe, you’ll not regret it! Do the old red bull on the Sunday, has a new name, but it’s the one that goes through the horns just before the cafe where everything starts, someone will tell you the new name

nealglover
    Free Member

Minotaur ?

Duffer
    Free Member

Do the old red bull on the Sunday, has a new name, but it’s the one that goes through the horns just before the cafe where everything starts, someone will tell you the new name

You mean Tarw? If that’s the one you mean, then i seriously recommend avoiding it. It’s the worst trail centre loop i’ve ever ridden on – especially when the other trails there are so good, you’d be mad to ride it, in my opinion.

Once you’ve ridden the Beast, a lot of the other trails cover the same ground; Dragons Back and MBR particularly so. Not necessarily a bad thing…

Personally, i’d recommend riding Cyflym Coch.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Or you can up the fire road and take the turn right which also brings you to the gate and then up fire road to ST.

lucien

Buy the trail map from the visitors centre (its £2.50) and you will be able to work out all the boring bits of fireroad climbs

wrecker
    Free Member

Tarw is shit +1
    Avoid.

Northwind

FWIW I really enjoyed the Tarw- it’s a bit too much effort for the reward, I suppose, but I still enjoyed the descents just as much as anything else we did in wales.

rOcKeTdOg

Did that today, not used to rocky trails, right out of my comfort zone loved “..”. Coch and minatour trails, Victoria sponge at the cafe was immense too, currently nursing arm pump with a snowdonia ale or two 🙂

chris_db
    Free Member

See you there! Will be at CyB this weekend, if you see a fat bloke on a black Canyon with a Van RC fitted feel free to laugh…!

rOcKeTdOg

Saw a guy today on a black canyon, he was skinny though

chris_db
    Free Member

Lol, sure wasn’t me then! 8)

tomstickland
    Free Member

I quite like the bit that gets cut out. Having said that, if you do cut it out you a ride that’s the same length as the other longish one and with all the good technical bits.

100mphplus
    Free Member

Did the enduro there the other week and the best trail was one we didn’t compete on and was simply a transit trail – Adams family combo – great fun.

rOcKeTdOg

worth the shortcut long climb if only for the chance to gurn, taken yesterday

2nd attempt by rOcKeTdOgUk, on Flickr

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Shortcut on The Beast at Coed Y Brenin’ is closed to new replies.