Home Forums Bike Forum Short Chainring bolts, Expensive or what?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Short Chainring bolts, Expensive or what?
  • poonprice
    Free Member

Currently off the bike after an Op to fix my collarbone and decided to change from triple chainring, which I only use 1 ring, down to a single Works Components Thick/Thin 32t with Clutch Mech and believe I need to order some short chainring bolts.

Why are these so expensive £10-15 for 4 bolts seems pretty pricey even by MTB standards.

Anyone, suggest any good deals on these? I don’t want to bodge it with washers etc..

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

A set of 5 Stronglight chromed steel bolts retails at £7.99, coloured alloy ones a bit more. You’d likely get a far better price per bolt if you found the supplier and asked for a few thousand.
    You could also spend an hour or so with a file shortening the bolts you’ve got.

earlanderson
    Free Member

I got several sets off eBay seller , can’t remember his name but think they were onza bolts in several colours, were bout £6. They look good and do the job.

happyrider
    Free Member
    captain_bastard
    Free Member

I just brought some for a fiver off these guys (also used them for all manor of bits and bobs, highly recommended) http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/

poonprice
    Free Member

@happyrider

Are they short bolts?

Freester

Charlie the Bikemonger has a set for a bit over a fiver.

poonprice
    Free Member

@Freester cheers for the link, want them in black tho… guess thats why they are a little more

poonprice
    Free Member

Cheers for the replies, going to take a punt on the Onza ones from eBay as I want coloured ones

jekkyl

yeah was just going to say, this is one area where the lbs might be a bit cheaper. I’ve been in a few (2 in fact) and asked about chainring bolts and they’ve pulled a box full of different sizes and had to search through for mine and then charged a quid a bolt.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Just bought the ones boardinbob has linked too and are nicely made and used on a single ring perfectly

BoardinBob

Yeah I’m using them on a single ring set up with no problems.

happyrider
    Free Member

Yes they are shorties

benji
    Free Member

I needed some when building my latest singlespeed, found some old titanium venhill items in my bit box, so turned them down on the lathe.

smorgie
    Free Member

Have you checked you need short ones yet? I recently got a single ring with no counter bore on the inner side (not a Works one though)and the Onza ones were to short when I tried them. (The inner bit didn’t go through the ring to the crank arm….it would have tightened but it would have had no strength.

May not effect you but I thought I would mention it.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Short Chainring bolts, Expensive or what?’ is closed to new replies.