• This topic has 6 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by mboy.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Shimano Zee vs SRAM Guide brakes
  • arcadian
    Free Member

New bike came with SRAM guide brakes, I had Zees fitted to my old bike. Don’t know if it’s due to lack of bedding in or maybe needing a bleed, but the Guides don’t feel as good. Only basing this on a first ride out, which wasn’t full-on.

The Zees were able to stop me from 30mph to a halt without any hassle (same size rotors), lots of power & control there. Don’t have the same confidence in the Guides at all yet.

Just wondered if anyone else had experience with the Guides, maybe have an idea of how much better they get over the first few rides or what I could do to get them feeling better? Or if anyone has used Zee and Guide brakes and has an opinion on what felt better?

Will be selling one set of brakes soon, but wanted to give the Guides a chance. Also the shifter for the bike screws into the brake mount, meaning having to buy a bar mount if I get rid of the Guides.

chrisdw
    Free Member

New brakes, new pads, new rotors. They will need a decent bed-in period before performing as they should.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

I’ve had Avid Code Rs and Shimano Zees on my DH bike. I found the Codes powerful but required me to pull hard on the lever.

With the Zees, it’s almost as if I don’t even need to think about braking, it just happens. Magic! I think the Zees are a bit more powerful too.

I prefer the Zees but the Codes were good too.

jimmy

I prefer my Guides to my Deore, but don’t know how they compare to Zee. FWIW the Deore’s feel similar to a pair of XTs I rode on a pal’s bike and they seem powerful at first but soon enough grabbing handfuls (hands full?) of brake and there’s no more power, like with Avid / Guides that have oodles. Agree with PG that Shimano have effortless power up front (thats how I interpret “Magic” anyway!).

But I figure they can’t be that bad, so maybe its just my experience.

mjsmke

My Guides were performing brilliantly after just one ride. Loads of feel and power with ease. Not used any of the newer Shimanos so can’t compare, but i wouldn’t want to change anything about my Guides.

andyrm
    Free Member

I run Zee and have tried Guides too – definitely not as powerful as the Zee and power delivery is very different too. They don’t have the same “anchor dropping” feel that I like in the Zee.

mboy
    Free Member

Guides are more subtle, they have plenty of power but are very smooth and well modulated. Zee’s are better modulated than the 2pot Shimano brakes, but less modulation than Guides I’d say (although more outright power).

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Shimano Zee vs SRAM Guide brakes’ is closed to new replies.