Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Shimano factory wheelsets… custom hubs?
  • fezzzzzzzza
    Free Member

hey there

i have a shimano xtr m975 factory rear wheel.

i want to change the hub for a 28hole pro 2.

the problem is that the factory wheels are straight pull and the hope is normal.

is this in anyway possible and what would i need to do.

many thanks

jimc101
    Free Member

As the nipples on the M975 (factory wheel) hubs are at the hub; and the Pro 2 needs them to be at the rim, simple answer = no as you would have a wheel with 2 places for nipples, and no place for the spoke head..

fezzzzzzzza
    Free Member

i assume the xtr nipples will not allow normal spokes?

jimc101
    Free Member

Take a look at the tech docs the nipples are not the normal type.

fezzzzzzzza
    Free Member

mine are the m975 wheels, different i think

cynic-al
    Free Member

From the pics i have googled it will work with new spokes…but go to a shop as you’ll end up in one anyway

fezzzzzzzza
    Free Member

nope, just realised that my wheelset is in fact 24hole not 28 hole….. 😳

sorry for wasting your time.

amt27
    Free Member

I have been looking for a 24 hole sp rear hub to rebuild a XT rear wheel, for about a year.

Hope make them, but do not supply them individually, only as part of a wheelset.

fezzzzzzzza
    Free Member

its a shame they dont sell them sepperate, that would be amazing to have one of them on an xtr rim, i’ll give em an email.

amt27
    Free Member

i tried emailing them, they said no, quite annoying when they are seen as a cosy little british manufacturer who will do anything for their customers,

fattatlasses
    Free Member

I have been looking for a 24 hole sp rear hub to rebuild a XT rear wheel, for about a year.

Hope make them, but do not supply them individually, only as part of a wheelset.

Oh bu**er, that’s just what I was thinking of trying with my XT wheel. What a PIA how Hope won’t supply seperately, I bet it’s just because they haven’t got a price listed for them as a single item, and it’s too much hassle for the aftersales person to find out. I’m sure if we could speak to the right person, they’d be able to supply!

(I might have a word with the LBS, as they’re a ‘Hope Tech Dealer’… or whatever they call it.)

fezzzzzzzza
    Free Member

ya maybe lbs might be able to, after all if you got the wheelset and the hub dies, they would supply one then at a cost.

sort it out hope, were trying to make you money.

BigR

I had the freehub fall off an XT775 wheel recently and tried to get a new hub. Madisons don’t have any and there doesn’t appear to be an alternative. Thankfully they replaced the whole wheel despite it being ~2years old.

fezzzzzzzza
    Free Member

I had to pay 110 when my freehub failed on my xtr wheel last time, and that was just for the replacement freehub.

White industries just got back to me (5 minutes after emailing them) and they now do disc hubs in 28 holes. With that efficient communication I already want to use their product.

amt27
    Free Member

if you manage to get some luck through a LBS let me know,

I also tried getting a replacement hub through Madison for my rear xt775, utterly disgusted that shimano don’t supply a replacement, i thought cycling manufacturers were a little better than “one part fails you have to throw it all away and buy a whole new component”,

fattatlasses
    Free Member

The LBS is shut on wednesdays, but I’ll give ’em a try tomorrow and let you know what happens.

fezzzzzzzza
    Free Member
    amt27
    Free Member

cannot see why not,

fezzzzzzzza
    Free Member

I’m going to order one and give it a go… Will keep you posted.

amt27
    Free Member

have you given up on Hope?

fezzzzzzzza
    Free Member

ya pretty much, they are unwilling to sell the hub sepperate. i asked my lbs to ask hope for one as ‘my hope wheel had its hub break’ but hope just asked for the whole wheel to be sent back to them.

gonna give those circus monkey hubs a go and see what happens

amt27
    Free Member

seems Hope have no consistency in their customer service,

I actually wrote off a front Hope Hoop 24 spoke, needed a new rim which are only available through Hope, Hope would have nothing to do with me and said I could purchase a new rim through a LBS for them to build,

fezzzzzzzza
    Free Member

when companies act like this i just give up on them, but at least you can actually contact hope and get responses, as there is no way of contacting shimano direct and their service centre contacts dont bother responding.

if hope and shimano are producing the hubs for these wheelsets why are they not making them available, it makes no sense…… easy money!

oh well fingers crossed for my crazy custom factory wheels

cannondaleking
    Free Member

i ordered some circus monkey hubs last week should be here soon been reading a couple of reviews (as there is very little about them online) they seem good had one blow hard moan about bearing quality but thats simply sorted when the cheap ones fail put in good quality ones 😆

as to shimano i used to work in a busy shimano service centre and madison have gotten worse in last 5 years bringing in less and less spares they now use’s wheels manifacturing for there cones and other parts as there is a better mark up than shimano and you have to buy box sets of cones at lbs level the staff at madison at rep level try but the big boys just arn’t interested as to hope im supprised by this they normally bend of backwards to help shame.

anyway if you hold of the circus monkey hubs for a week il let you know what mine are like just in case they turn up and are cack

fezzzzzzzza
    Free Member

i like hope as they do make the effort when it comes to comunication, just they are awkward.

i’l hold off the circus monkeys for now, i hope there good

simondbarnes

Are the rims on the xtr wheelset that special that it warrants all of the hassle of finding a suitable hub to rebuild them? Surely it’s the absolutely lovely hubs that are the main selling point of the wheelset?

fezzzzzzzza
    Free Member

Ya but if its the hubs that are giving way all the Damn time you might as well try another brand, while keeping the nice rims.

simondbarnes

What has happened to your hub?

fezzzzzzzza
    Free Member

well my rear hub freehub wouldnt coast, and cost £110 for a new one (and that was my lbs doing it cheaper), and its starting to feel dodgy again, when walking the bike the cranks start to spin…. this is how it started last time

and my front hub is lumpy as hell (even after service)

so i have given up on them and might as well give another brand a go.

i do love the rims though, look SWEET. hubs were great while they worked.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Shimano factory wheelsets… custom hubs?’ is closed to new replies.