Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • setting up bars – how do you know its right?
  • rob-jackson
    Free Member

Easton havoc bars have markings on the front – should the 0 degree bee in the centre of the front of the stem clamp?

Taff
    Free Member

Trial and error and personal preference. I prefer the feel of mine slightly back. Depends on the types of bars though ie sweep etc

GW
    Free Member

don’t be stupid

rob-jackson
    Free Member

gw – aimed at me or taff? any constructive help or just usal being a bell end?

RealMan
    Free Member

Whatever feels right, trial and error usually works.

GW
    Free Member

quite obviously aimed at you Cruz.
    But I take it back, if you seriously thought Easton managed to print a line on the clamp surface to allow you to align them perfectly for you you are not just being stupid you actually are stupid!

rob-jackson
    Free Member

so what are the 1-3 degree markings to be lined up with then?

druidh
    Free Member

A late entry for “thread of the year”?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

loving the cock like comments but no help from the smart arses (druidh/gw)

rob-jackson
    Free Member

crikey
    Free Member

Erm, you’re actually serious?

Does your mum sew your name into your undies too?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Rob, take a multitool, and just check and test on a ride you know well..

Just fettle till it feels right..

Just like setting up suspension..

scaredypants

FFS CH !,

have a think about different frames, forks (wheels/tyres) stems – all these will affect how the bit of the clamp on your stem orientates itself to horizontal. Meaningless in any real sense

to set up the bars, bugger about with ’em a bit and when you find what you like, remember for next time (assuming same frame/…/…)

rob-jackson
    Free Member

wtf are the numbers for then?

GW
    Free Member

check Eastons website, they have a huge list of riders, next to your name there will be a number, that’s the exact angle you should set them at.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

nearly a lol

xherbivorex
    Free Member

not that much really.
    graphics. that’s about it. ignore em, and set your bars at whatever angle just feels right for you. it’s that simple.

crikey
    Free Member

Sweet baby jesus…

The numbers are there for the same reason there is writing under where the grips go; to make it look ‘cooler’ in the shop. They might be of use if you changed your bars every day, but you don’t, so they aren’t.

honourablegeorge

cruzheckler – Member

So that when you’ve figured out where you like it, you can easily put it all back together the same way next time you remove them

Pieface

The lines and markings are for relative guidance, so you know how much adjustment you made last time and will inform how much more / less you need to adjust / correct based on the last change you made.

And what everyone else said 😀

druidh
    Free Member

Rob – the idea is that you find your perfect set-up, then take a note of where it is. Next time you make a change, take your bars off or whatever, you can put them back the way they were. It’s kinda like the numbers on a seatpost, ken?

hilldodger
    Free Member

I use them to remember the setting before I tweak it, then you can be a bit more accurate than ” back a little bit” or “a tad more” if/when you come to readjust them

crikey
    Free Member

Round ended scissors for you my lad, you’ll thank us one day.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

surely the designers have an “ideal” position in relation to the horizontal?

RealMan
    Free Member

Round ended scissors for you my lad, you’ll thank us one day.

😆

rob-jackson
    Free Member

crikey – this is coming from the man who “can’t understand how stw is sent throu the air to me”. Wifi is **** easy to understand!!

Pieface

No ‘ideal’ as they do not know what other components your using (eg rise and length of stem) or what angles your frame consists of.

They’re for guidance only.

Where on that ‘Funn’ bar in your picture would be 0? However, it does suggest that there is a range of adjustment that would be ‘too much’ as its off their scale, therefore they have made some assumptions about how much adjustment is too much.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

horizon is horizon tho

RealMan
    Free Member

Wifi is **** easy to understand!!

Is it? I understand basic physics and electronics, but I wouldn’t say I understand wifi. Never studied it, so I barely know a thing about it. Not really something you can deduce using common sense either…

Trimix
    Free Member

What no one has said is that the position will make a big difference to how the bike feels. So play about with them a bit and ride them a bit at different positions, not just five mins – a whole ride.

Too far back and you will be sat upright with a light front end, great for wheelies. Further forward and you will be all over the front – good for weighting the front tire for hard cornering for example.

I recently rode a bike with bars too far back for my liking, but only noticed it when the front tyre washed out on all the corners I normally dont have a problem on.

Changing bar / seat / sag settings will make a big difference to any bike.

crikey
    Free Member

😆

The bars are designed to be used in a range of positions, the marks are not important; you can put them at any angle. Lots of bars don’t have any marking at all, but more and more these days, this kind of pseudo-techy graphic stuff appears.

I deal with the WiFi thing by imagining a very long invisible wire from Hebden Bridge to my house, then to my phone…

Pieface

Horizon is always horizontal but the bars have chnages to shapes in more than one plain, therefore they have to start somewhere and base the sweep / other things based on the majority of the population, rotating the bars around will take into account things like people having longer or shorter arms relative to their height.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Yeah…it was the position of my bars that made me crash,honest Guv. :0/
    Still quite a few people on the sherry still tonight ain’t there?

somouk
    Free Member

Many lols in this thread.

As previously mentioned, set them and see. I recently changed my bar setup and can’t believe how much better the bike rides!

You mention horizon being horizon… That is fine but you have no piece of equipment on the bike to deduce what the correct horizontal is so the settings on the bar could in no way help. The only way that would be possible is with a spirit level or similar.

As for wifi… I’m sure it’s soemthing to do with the devils work!

sambob
    Free Member

Whatever’s most comfortable, I prefer mine vertical, maybe even slightly forward.. The lines are there so you can get the same angle after you’ve taken them off for any reason

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

colournoise

Always set mine up with the rise vertical by eye and then go and get on with riding the bike.

slainte ➡ rob

ruffrider

Having thought about this and I really wish I hadn’t, I would imagine the 0 degree position must relate to the manufactures default position i.e when the 0 degree position is ‘level’ the claimed sweep and rise is as they state. Having said that, I think setting them up for yourself is trial by error as others have said. Apologies for the terrible pedantry…

rob-jackson
    Free Member

suppose i have given Hora break today

rob-jackson
    Free Member

ruffrider thats kind of wheer i was coming from – the 0 degree mark is meant to be the “default” position, and work from there. Again i think i may have articulated myself badly

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘setting up bars – how do you know its right?’ is closed to new replies.