Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • selle smp saddle experiences
  • trickydisco
    Free Member

Anyone here got experiences of selle smp saddles? You know the one's that look weird

I suffered a bit of nerve damage (pudendal) after the HONC. I think most of my weight was on my perineum and as such i had quite a bit of numbness. Yes, I was very worried!

I was using a new saddle (selle slr) which i don't think really works for me (Obvious now)

So after a bit of research it appears these saddles are great as they don't put any pressure on ya precious parts. The only problem i have is finding a dealer I can get a trial. No one seems to stock them (shop)

I was looking at the composite (no padding) and the evolution. i'm wondering If the no padding would be best, after all the brooks b17 doesn't have any padding and that's supposed to be the most comfortable saddle in the world!

matthewlhome
    Free Member

i have tried the cheapest one. It sort of works but is a bit odd, and didnt stay on my bike long. It was ok on the road bike but i dont know how well suited to off road riding it would be.

I also tried a b17 for a good few miles and it was one of the worst seats i have ever used – gave me more pain than anything else i have used – all my weight went on the rock hard nose.

Have tried specialized bg ones which sort of work but the most comfy saddle (and on all bikes now incl. road) i have found is the sdg bel air. It actually supports my sit bones rather than my weight being on the soft bits.

I still have the saddle in my garage if you wanted to try a cheap one to start with – although i think the shape is wider than the 'better' ones.

I also think that Mark Beaumont (the round the world cyclist) may have had one on his cycle the americas bike. might be worth looking up.

trickydisco
    Free Member

i've read about a few cyclists experiences with this saddle is that they have didn't like it at first (because of the different position) and it takes a while to get the feeling dialled. But once they've got used to it it felt great.

yes mark beaumont had the pro version

trickydisco
    Free Member

ell i've just been in touch with the uk distrbutor and i'm going to take a trip to see them with bikes in tow and try them out for a few hours.

They told me the GB cycling team have them on test this week for a few weeks to perhaps use for the olympics.

trail_rat
    Free Member

nose is very fat and causes me to ride bandy legged- i inherritied one with my TT bike and im infact selling it ….

trickydisco
    Free Member

Which version have you got? Not all are 'fat' i'm told

trail_rat
    Free Member

just the basic model i believe

ill replace it with a propper TT saddle i suspect

trickydisco
    Free Member

ah yes.. the basic model is 160mm wide!

Well, I'll see how i get on on friday when i try a few out. Not going to buy one unless it works for me

trail_rat
    Free Member

ah sorry – its the nose i find wide – the one in your picture doesnt look any narrower on the nose at all !

best try it first – i did 200k on mine before deciding i hate it !

keavo
    Free Member

got 2 smp hybrids and 1 209 lite (which isn't actually light).
    1st one i got was a hybrid, because they are relativley cheap and a fairly average 140mm wide. used it on my road bike for turbo training and it was an instant success, in that i experienced no numbness at all. i have never had that (no numbness) on the turbo trainer. the saddle does need a fair bit of experimenting to get it just in the right position. now that i've had it a while i would say the nose is a bit too wide and its a bit too soft, but overall i still like it. then i bought the 209 lite, same width at the back but a narrower nose and firmer. at first i thought i had made a mistake with it, but with more riding i found it better than the hybrid. i've treid them on my mtb's and they are fine but for me the problem they address doesn't really occur on the mtb due to a more upright ride position. they are fantastic on the road bike, riding in the drops or on tri bars ie. anytime i lean forward and into the saddle nose.
    if i was in your position i'd just buy one, and if its no good sell it. if its good but the wrong width you'll be in a position to make a good chioce on another. expensive but i bet you were not worried about the price when you were worrying about your willy. the hybrid and the extra are the cheapest with a fairly normal 140mm width.

WhatWouldJesusRide
    Free Member

I've got the hybrid. It's not as bulky as the TRK and more comfortable for it.

How much you planning to spend?

trickydisco
    Free Member

I'll spend whatever it takes to get one that's right. I see the carbon one is £379!

yesiamtom
    Free Member

i used one of the basic Selle saddles in that style. It was reasonably comfortable but i found it took a bit of fiddling to get it in a proper position as i found i always slipped into the 'hole' in the saddle.

Be prepared, if you buy one of those saddles everyone will be asking you if you bent your saddle and asking all sorts of weird questions.

keavo
    Free Member

prices are ridiculous, and its always a bit of a gamble with saddles. even if you get a test ride you really need one for a few weeks to know for sure.

trickydisco
    Free Member

They said i could have it on sale or return basis as long as i protected the rails.

keavo
    Free Member

nothing to lose then.

zaskar
    Free Member

I loved the wide cut out section after testing for a review 3 yrs ago.

Get in touch with Dillglove near Birmingham/Solihul to see if you can try it out.

Also Spesh BG is a cheaper alternative!

trickydisco
    Free Member

Get in touch with Dillglove near Birmingham/Solihul to see if you can try it out.

Aye see post above.. that's who i'm seeing friday 🙂

matthewlhome
    Free Member

Ah – i forgot that the nose was really wide – that was the main problem i had with it – it put pressure on the wrong places because of the width.

trickydisco
    Free Member

well i went up to Dillglove today to try them out. Took both the mtb and road bike. I thought i'd want the evolution but after going through the range i settled on the lite 209 (same as you keavo). It was a bit wider than the others.

Think it will take a bit of getting used to but will be glad if it cures the numbnes

keavo
    Free Member

apparently selle smp describe the 209 as equivalent to a size 9 shoe, ie. fits mr average. i'm confident it will bring an end to any numbness. good luck with it.

krauskim
    Free Member

Can you give a 12 month follow up, particularly how the saddle helped with the nerve issue?

I am currently dealing with some pudendal nerve damage and looking for a saddle that will let me get back on the bike.

Did you consider the ISM Adamo saddles?

yenrod
    Free Member

Ive rode one of these for about a year now. I’m due to upgrade to a ‘lite’ or a glider.

I feel people dont get on with these as they are used to the PRESSURE of a normal saddle which is unfortunate.

They are the best saddles around and ergonomic & once you try them and ride them for a while a normal saddle will feel BAD !

THEY ARE WORTH IT !!!!!!!!

I’ve done up to 5hours on this and I can say hand-on-@rse (lol) THIS IS THE BEST SADDLE IVE EVER HAD!

trail_rat
    Free Member

wooo 5hrs ….

ive done 24 + on an SLR 135 – doesnt make it a wonderful saddle – just means i have a high pain tollerance….

i like my brooks hammock much better –

trickydisco
    Free Member

Yes I’ve had mine nearly a year now. Very comfortable. Used it riding london> barcelona in august last year. Took a while to get used to it as the pressure is on the sit bones but now it feels very comfortable.

Hadn’t heard of the ISM adamo saddle when i bought it so couldn’t comment

yenrod
    Free Member

-Trail’: I can guarantee you if I did a 5hr on a SLR my prostate would be literally zero’d!

Honestly, these saddles are all in how you sit on them, ok that sounds stupid but if you rotate your pelvis forward whilst riding, as you can use different muscles in the pedalling process then an SMP is definatly for you.

I’ve thought long n hard how i rode a ‘normal’ saddle in all the yrs i rode a turbo & a rolls and its down to this: I had to alleviate my riding & position – accordingly over hours.

I tried soo very very hard to ride an normal saddle – but it was just not right for my soft bits.

NOW its like a dream come true simply.

As for the cost = I spent 180 quid on pedals, speedplays, about 4months back…the frame cost 600 custom, wheels multiple 100’s…

I feel people are short changing their arse in the comfort stakes + the cost of bikes people ride.

Measure the cost 170 compared to the bike cost eg 1000+ – ??????

They are an intelligent choice !!!!!!!!!!

BTW = IVE BEEN ON MY HYBRID FOR A YEAR

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘selle smp saddle experiences’ is closed to new replies.