Home Forums Bike Forum SDW conditions – 2-day ride this weekend

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • SDW conditions – 2-day ride this weekend
  • robbols
    Free Member

Can anyone comment on the current SDW conditions following the rain recently and what it will likely be like to ride this weekend.
    Have a 2-day ride planned Winchester to Eastbourne with a night a Trueleigh YHA.
    How rideable / slippery will it be?
    Fundamentally shall we call it off / shift to a road bike route?
    Any comments most appreciated!

Painey
    Free Member

It’s a bit damp and slippery in places but not bad, I wouldn’t put it off but take care on any chalky descents if they’re not dry. By that I mean if the sun comes out they dry quickly, but if they’re covered then I’d advise caution. Enjoy.

dovebiker

It’ll be dry on the tops, but as said watch-out under the trees where you can get a slick layer of mud over the chalk

robbols
    Free Member

Thanks both.
    That’s reassuring. Keen to go ahead!
    Cheers
    Rob

bikebouy
    Free Member

Sloppy and slippery conditions in the covered bits, dryer on the tops with long squidgy puddles.

It’s fresh and sunny down here now, if it continues then the top of the downs will dry out quickly but the covered bits will need another week of dry weather.

HTHs

(I’ve just been up to Ols Whinny Hill)

thomthumb
    Free Member

shift to a road bike route?

that needs serious consideration – it’s really difficult to do that and stay off major roads plus it turns into a massive day out.

robbols
    Free Member

Thanks for all the feedback and advice. Completed it over the weekend. The odd muddy patch but nothing more. In fact very dry and hard throughout. Exhausted but great experience. Found the second 60km from Truleigh to Eastbourne harder than the day 1 100km from Winchester to Truleigh.

moonboy
    Free Member

Anyone got a current update? Considering an early morning attempt tomorrow morning.

muggomagic

Dry as a bone

scrumfled
    Free Member

Eastbourne airshow is on this weekend… chaos at the eastbourne end.

moonboy
    Free Member

Dry as a bone = good. Air show = bike on train?

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Didn’t that biblical rainstorm this afternoon hit the Winchester end of the SDW?

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Yes, I work around there, it was fairly epic rain.

It should dry fairly quick other than a few puddles though.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘SDW conditions – 2-day ride this weekend’ is closed to new replies.