• This topic has 12 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by hora.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Scotland needs money more than Malawi…..
  • hilldodger
    Free Member

…..according to the African nation’s top newspaper.

Journalist Mabvuto Banda spent eight days in Scotland, joining a police patrol in Aberdeen and visiting several drop-in centres for alcoholics and the homeless in Edinburgh and Glasgow.

Mr Banda was appalled at the level of drinking and hard drugs use which, he said, claimed the same number of lives as HIV and Aids in his country. In 2005, former First Minister Jack McConnell pledged an annual aid package of £3million to help pay for health, education and economic development in Malawi.

Ministers have recently committed £4million to an international development programme in sub-Saharan Africa.

But Mr Banda writes in The ­Nation of the drugs and drinks projects he visited during his trip to Scotland: “I cannot help thinking these organisations fighting addiction deserve it more – despite the positive impact that Scottish money is having on my country.

“If the Scottish Government put more funds into preventing alcohol and drug abuse, many lives would be saved. After all, charity begins at home.”

hora
    Free Member

Mr Banda obviously doesnt understand the term 'pandering to do-gooder Christian voters' does he?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

…..according to the African nation’s top newspaper.

A quick goggle search suggests that in fact it's according to, the British published Daily Express :

http://www.dailyexpress.co.uk/posts/view/117912/-Scotland-needs-aid-more-than-Malawi-/

dmiller
    Free Member

Mr Banda obviously doesnt understand the term 'pandering to do-gooder Christian voters' does he

I don't know – I prefer to think of the UK buying good will with the African states – these guys are going to be very big world powers in about 50 to 100 years and having a decent relationship with them based on helping them when they needed it (well actually about 100 years after they needed it but hey – at least its help) might prompt them to help us when we need it!

skidartist
    Free Member

That story begins with the word "Journalist…….." so you can disregard anything that follows

binners

I saw 3 Glasgow drunks loudly arguing in the street the other day. The source of the dispute appeared to be a can of Special Brew.

I suspect the language/dialect they were employing bore more resemblance to Mr Banda's than it did to the native tongue of the startled/amused onlookers.

🙂

mt
    Free Member

[hora – Member
    Mr Banda obviously doesnt understand the term 'pandering to do-gooder Christian voters' does he?]

What are you talking about?

BigDummy
    Free Member

Hiding to nothing mt…

I'm interested in why dmiller reckons Maawi is a rising super-power though.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

quick hisory lesson for BD,

Britain was a super power, went to america, generaly pissed the americans off (tea party anyone?), fell out, had war

ammerica was/is a superpower, exploited/invested in china, relations tend to be a little frosty ocasionaly.

China is now treating africa like we treated america and america treated china, so finaly we have a chance to be the good guys! Although with the ammount of money it's investing, in Africa its pretty much a case of what China says, goes, right now.

India is the exception, we get along with them very well diplomaticaly and comericaly despite shafting them sideways, seven ways till sunday in the past!

BigDummy
    Free Member

As history lessons go, that was neither accurate, nor remotely directed at explaining the rise of Malawi to global dominance in 50-100 years time. But hey. 😀

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

joining a police patrol in Aberdeen

'nuff said

HeatherBash
    Free Member

>I saw 3 Glasgow drunks loudly arguing in the street the other day. The source of the dispute appeared to be a can of Special Brew.<

The old ones are the best – eh Binners?

Yawn…

hora
    Free Member

mt Christian evangalism, converting Africans to God. Its still a vote winner looking after "poor" Africans to idiot white voters.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Scotland needs money more than Malawi…..’ is closed to new replies.