• This topic has 13 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by eskay.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Scammed? by online store.
  • elzorillo
    Free Member

So I ordered 10 USB memory sticks from what looked like a legit online retailer.

After a few weeks and many emails I finally received today an envelope that was empty apart from a microSD to SD converted worth about 10p.

Website is now ‘unavailable’

What are the chances of Paypal refunding me as I’ve signed for a delivery.

Markie
    Free Member

Pretty good, IME, just follow the process on the PayPal website. Good luck!

Jamie
    Free Member

Goods not as described.

You’ll be fine.

Cougar

What was the site, out of interest?

nealglover
    Free Member

What are the chances of Paypal refunding me as I’ve signed for a delivery.

Quite high.

Considering what you have said, you won’t be the only person complaining to PayPal about this online store.
    I’m sure they are well aware of what’s happened.

elzorillo
    Free Member

What was the site, out of interest?

The company was Moby Memory

https://www.mobymemory.com/

zilog6128

always worth looking up an online store on e.g. TrustPilot before placing an order! Looks like they were legit but things started going wrong last month…

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/mobymemory.com

I also use WhoIs which will tell you where the site is registered and can give a quick indication of whether it’s likely to be dodgy or not although in this case no alarm bells are thrown up so not just and out-and-out scam site like e.g. the ones selling fake goods, etc

burchill
    Free Member

I soon as I read the first line I knew it would be ‘Moby Memory’.

I read their TrustPilot reviews and thought they must be legit – somehow I missed their comically-bad Google Reviews. They didn’t send me anything for weeks so didn’t even bother asking them for a refund and just went through Paypal – got a refund within an hour or so.

eskay

Same for me but paid by debit card. Going to contact my bank to see if anything can be done and warn them not to take any further payments from them.

enfht
    Free Member

Moby. Go.

Cougar

The company was Moby Memory

Give him a ring.

Name:Chris M
    Organization:Newbay Trading
    Street:Unit 10 Lake Business Centre
    Tariff Rd
    City:London
    State:UK
    Postal Code:N17 0YX
    Phone:+44.2088851997

The domain has been registered since 2004, which would suggest to me that either a) they’re just shit rather than actively scamming, or b) they’ve been hacked. Scam domains don’t tend to last for 13 years.

The registrant, admin and tech contacts are all the same Chris M, which could suggest that “they” are a one-man band.

Interestingly, “Newbay Trading” doesn’t seem to exist in a meaningful manner on Companies House, there was one registered in 2008 and dissolved a year later, and another in 2013 that seems unrelated.

eskay

Called my bank earlier and they will try to do a charge back but cannot proceed until 15 days after the initial order…..

jes
    Free Member

I have used moby memory (direct store not eBay) several times over the years for micro sd cards and despite a rather poor Web site have been ok to date, cheap, delivery fine and no product failures.
    However the site seems to be getting progressively poorer to navigate so not used recently.

Hope you get it sorted ok

eskay

I have just spoken to my bank about initiating a charge back to Moby Memory (had to wait a set period of time first) and they have instantly refunded me my money.

Apparently the costs of a charge back claim prohibit claims under £20 so as a good will gesture they have given me my £16 back!

Thanks First Direct.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Scammed? by online store.’ is closed to new replies.