Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Santa Cruz Chameleon. Which Forks??
  • BruceM
    Free Member

Hello,

Welcome to my first post:)

Just bought a second hand Single speed Chameleon – Its the Model before the EBB was introduced.
    It came with some RockShock SID forks(no idea of the model year but would think approx 2003).

Im a fairly beefy rider (115+kg) and want a fork a bit more suitable, type of riding is more xc than am however i want to be a bit'overbiked'.

My initial thoughts are a fox 32 float or talas with around 140mm Travel. Anyone recommend anything else? is QR15 any real benefit?

What sort of price should i be looking to pay for a second hand 2008/9 Fox 32 Float/Talas?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Also does anyone know how to identify what model/year the sid's are?

james-o
    Free Member

go for the 15 or 20mm axle – you'll really appreciate it on that bike if you're a heavier rider.

be careful with s/h fox forks tho, ie if they've not been well maintained they could be expensive to get serviced up to the usual performance standard. a new Reba 20mm / 120mm or Float 15mm / 140mm would be worth the money. Revelations are great too and good VFM.

MrNutt
    Free Member

hmm, can it handle Wotans? they'd be reet tasty oh and +1 for 20mm

mark@joy-riders.com
    Free Member

Hi BruceM and welcome to Singletrack!

I've got an older style Chameleon (2006 I think). I run Rock Shox Pikes (coil) with 140mm travel. They have a 20mm bolt through and are perfect for technical XC/All Mountain and harder riding… The coils are slightly heavier, but they are so much plusher than air (more reliable too in my experience).

I picked up a second hand set in good condition for £200 recently. Very easy to service too – so all you have to look out for is signs of abuse on the legs.

Revelations are also a good choice – more towards the XC end of the market with slightly less travel.

Hope this helps.

Mark

chameleon78
    Free Member

I'm using 2004 fox vanilla 125RLC on mine at 100mm travel they do the job just fine. I prefer 100mm as the steering is quicker. I'd definitely be considering the new vanillas…

nbt

I've got a really old chameleon – probably ten years old by now, I've had it for six. It came with 63mm Rockshox Indy XCs on. Having tried a few different things, running it singlespeed with 100mm fox vanilla forks is workgin well for me 🙂

BruceM
    Free Member

Hmm, a lot to think about guys, thanks for the replys.

Im tempted by the Magura Thor or the Wotan that MrNutt suggested.
    Magura seems to have a great reputation, would that be fair to say?

I can see 2009 Thor's being sold for £450.00 which seems fairly reasonable.

roughneck
    Free Member

RS Pikes coil all the way. just come back from TF tune and there ace. I Ride them at about 130 most of the time.

Tracey

Got Revelations one our three

Tracey

nickc

Got Thors on my 2008 Cham. It's absolutely f**king ace. Without doubt the best bike I've owned.

Del

hello.
    pike coils are a great choice for that frame i reckon. bike outlet in york have some for 270 odd, or 350 if you want the marginally lighter ones. they're 20mm ( well worth having 20mm )
    revelations were 130 travel qr up to 2008, and available as coil and air ( as were pikes, but these were 140mm travel ), then 2009 revs went to 140, air only, with 20mm maxle, and pikes went coil only, and for 2010 revs went to 150mm, pikes stayed at 140mm.
    plenty of people like fox forks and the way they work, they tend to be lighter, and more expensive. at your weight i would definitely not go qr on fox forks.

BruceM
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice guys.

Given me plenty to think about.

RealMan
    Free Member

Revelations here.

Very nice, cant really see the benefits of a pike over a rev, and revs are a bit lighter. The maxle is brilliant, really makes a difference.

goog
    Free Member

160 bombers

timbercombe
    Free Member

A friend's – he loved it with the Lyriks:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Santa Cruz Chameleon. Which Forks??’ is closed to new replies.