Home Forums Chat Forum Sad building, happy building

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Sad building, happy building
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

A simple concept.
    First, post a picture of a building that makes you feel sad. Ideally, explain what and where it is, and why it makes you feel sad.
    Then, to redress the balance, do the same, but for a building that makes you feel happy.

To kick off (As prompted by the ever lovely Cinnamon_Girl)

Old Manor Hospital, Wilton Road, Salisbury. It was a “madhouse”, which in itself is sad enough, but it now lies like a dilapidated wreck in an otherwise lovely city. A sad history, and a sad present. 🙁

To redress the balance, this place;

The Natural History Museum. Every time I go, every time I walk, ride or drive past, I’m struck with the wonder of the place. A sublime building, built to last, but also built to educate and illuminate. A building with purpose.

Over to you, folks.

matt_outandabout

Auchmore House:

Some great history and local stories – such as being damaged by a rather OTT explosion sending rock flying when building Breachlaich dam (a mile or more away up a mountain…), a fire in the roof one evening caused evacuation of the many dam worker families housed there – apart from one hard bitten chap who decided to make use of the fire brigade – and was found inside washing under the shower of warm water pouring through the building from the hoses…it housed interred /pow’s and also recovery for allied troops (at different times)

It sadly ended its days after a fire and then dry rot set in – and so the (mad) owner did this to it. Now a flat field.

Edit

Imagine Killin with Auchmore house and the railway still running over Glen Ogle to the branch junction, plus steamers on the loch…it would be a totally different place.

joshvegas
    Free Member

A simple concept

Evidently not that simple!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Well, as he normally communicates via a series of clicks and grunts, I think he’s done quite well, really.

🙂

pedropete

Doesn’t so much make me sad, but really angry. How can such an appalling building get built?

Wells Cathedral on the other hand just blows my mind. It could grace the set of any sci-fi film. i remember the 1st time i saw this, i just couldn’t believe it had been created by medieval minds.

matt_outandabout

Oi, flipping ipad and copying pictures….grrrr

Anyway, happy building is Cantle – a less grand country house down the loch, but the most stunning views and amazing memories staying there and quiet coffees watching the Ospreys on thier nests.

Caher

Always loved the Natural History – the architect must have been inspired that day. Kinda like that pointy church in Barcelona.

SaxonRider
    Free Member

Cambridge University library is the most bombastically post-ideological pile I have ever seen.

A little bit of Byzantium in London, on the other hand, never goes amiss.

Otherwise, there are many in both categories.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

A little bit of Byzantium in London, on the other hand, never goes amiss.

Mrs CFH grew up in a mansion flat just behind the cathedral. A stunning building, and the interior….!

mikey74
    Free Member

modelled after….

Sanny
    Free Member

If you are ever in Glasgow, you can marvel at the Rennie Mackintosh School of Art and then the green glass turd of a box across the road from it. I sometimes think architecture these days is a game of racing to the bottom where the winners are designs with no merit which then get lauded by other architects for their style and grace juxtaposing modernity with classical design. 🙄 Whenever I hear the phrase “Award winning architect”, I steel myself for disappointment……..

joshvegas
    Free Member

Whenever I hear the phrase “Award winning architect”, I steel myself for disappointment……..

*cough* museum of transport

andykirk
    Free Member

Very sad.

andykirk
    Free Member

Happy. Notre-Dame du Raincy church in Paris. Reinforced concrete can look this good.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Sad building, happy building’ is closed to new replies.