Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Running a Krampus through the winter?
  • jamesgarbett
    Free Member

If the Knards are so poor in mud what do people tend to do – stick some regular 29er wheels on with “narrow” tyres?

terrahawk
    Free Member

don’t use Knards. Use Maxxis Chronicles.

rOcKeTdOg

Chronicles are almost as bad as knards in mud, if the dirt wizard ever materializes in 29 flavour that’d be the one

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Knards are not that bad, i didn’t ride mine this winter, but did last year, no issues really, used it in some terrible conditions, mud clearance on the Krampus is crap though

Robespierre
    Free Member

Don’t know if the Knard really deserves its bad reputation in the mud….a three inch wide tyre is never going to cut through it whatever the tread. Only ride my Krampus in the Peaks where mud is not really an issue. When the Knard finally wears out I might think about putting something with more pronounced tread on the front.

Clobber
    Free Member

Bomboloni or Chupacabra may do a bit better if the dirtwizards don’t show

Anyone mounted a maxxis beaver on a 50mm rim?

Clobber
    Free Member

Surly Dirt Wizards – 29 x 3 – In the Wild

This suggests they are available in the US now

ajantom

Knards are ok, as long as you realise they aren’t, and never will be, a mud tyre.
    I’ve run them for two winters and not fallen off any more than normal. They still grip like poo to a blanket in the wet, but do fill up quite quickly in clay or gloopy muds. But then all tyres do!
    I’ve recently gone to a Chronicle on the front, but it’s been dry since I changed it, so waiting for some rain to try it out in wet conditions.

Paceman
    Free Member

Used my Krampus through the last winter with no problems, grip with Surly Knards on the 50mm rims is easily as good as mud tyres on a normal trail bike, and the Krampus will be even better when the Dirt Wizards and Chupacabra tyres become available. It’s a very fun bike to ride in both wet and dry conditions.

Clobber
    Free Member

A little birdy tells me that Dirt Wizards are in stock in the UK…

cokie

Chronicles are almost as bad as knards in mud

😕
    The Chronicle is infinitely better than the Knard in mud. It shed mud better and the shoulders bite better.

1-shed
    Free Member

A little birdy tells me that Dirt Wizards are in stock in the UK… Where would that be then?

Clobber
    Free Member

or…

You can email Sam at singular cycles , he is getting some in…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Running a Krampus through the winter?’ is closed to new replies.