Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Rubber Queen 2.2 / MK 2.2 decent all round winter combo?
  • allmountain76
    Free Member

Just got some wheels that came with Mountain King 2.2 foldings on. Not used them but they look a bit limp wristed for Lakes riding. Would a Rubber Queen up front (2.2 or 2.4) with a 2.2 MK out back be a decent winter combo?

Ive always used either Nevegal 2.35’s or Swampies for winter.

dave360

Great tyres with lotsa volume, but for winter you really need something with a blocky tread, and more er..aggressive on the edges.

heihei

RQs are pretty good in the wet (hate MK’s by the way), but swampys will always be grippier when it gets really grim.

allmountain76
    Free Member

Ive always found in the Lakes though the biggest issue is wet rock / shale and not so much claggy mud. Thats why i always ran Nevegals unless i was in the Dales and the Swampies came out. Im thinking the RQ will be pretty good on wet rock in the black chilli flavour? The MK arent great as a front i’ve heard but roll pretty well and i dont mind the back sliding as long as the front grips.

ghalltn6
    Free Member

RQ’s only come in the Black Chilli on the 2.4 version, which are massive DH/Freeride tyres.

I’ve been running the 2.2 RQ’s on the front after swapping from Nevegals and I’ve been impressed, inspier great confidence on turning. I run vertical 2.3’s on the back which have also held up really well.

What mud I have encountered has been ok, I can’t be bothered with mud tyer’s so I’m hoping these will do me all year round.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

CRC claims to have 2.2 black chillis. I hope so, I’ve just ordered some.

😕

allmountain76
    Free Member

From Conti Online:

Rubber Queen 2.2: 3 plies / total 180 tpi / foldable / Black Chili Compound / Handmade in Germany

RQ was in 2.2 Black Chill from Feb 2010.

anc
    Free Member

The Ust 2.2 isn’t black chilli the standard folder is black chilli 😉

Can’t understand why they don’t do the 2.2 UST with black chilli as they’d make a mint.

I use the black chilli 4000s on the road bike and its the best compound in wet conditions I’ve used.

takisawa2

Throughout the summer I was adamant my SmallBlock8’s would suffice year round.

And looking up at the russet hues of Autumnal splendour, from a crumpled heap across the trail I reflected on my foolish prediction.

Well spaced, decent sized knobbles. And lots of them.

Gnnr

I’ve got a Non UST 2.2 rubber queen with black chilli as my back tyre.
    Its REALLY prone to pinch flats.

I think its because its so thin, Cont dropped the sidewall protection thats in the 2.4 version to loose weight on the 2.2.

I’ve not been that impressed, I’ve never had so many flats with any other tyre. Good front tyre though as its got loads of grip on wet rock and the usual surface found at GT etc.

dave360

whereas I rode the Trans Provence (350km of the rockiest badassed riding in Europe) with a UST RQ 2.2 on the back with no punctures. It’s a funny old world.

loco_pollo
    Free Member

Just chucked some RQ 2.2 black chillis on after using the 2.4s for a year or so. Great tyres, wouldn’t go back to high rollers now. The only thing they don’t seem to cope with is really shitey stuff but then nothing short of swampys or wetscreams does, and these are crap in the dry.

Gnnr

whereas I rode the Trans Provence (350km of the rockiest badassed riding in Europe) with a UST RQ 2.2 on the back with no punctures. It’s a funny old world.

The UST version is fine, its heavier, so I can only suppose this helps it with pinch flats. I’ve run both. I prefer the UST version. It was fine.

Tis a funny old game etc etc.

chakaping
    Free Member

Were you running it tubeless?

Just got one and contemplating whether to risk going tubeless again. I put a hole that wouldn’t seal in a 2.4in UST RQ and so am a bit wary of rocky badass riding with UST.

chakaping
    Free Member

To the OP: If you’re in the Lakes, I’d flog the MKs and go with the RQ both ends. The standard compound MK is quite treacherous on wet rock.

I’d want a black chili compound one on the front at least though.

allmountain76
    Free Member

chakaping – i was going to go for RQ Black Chilli 2.2 front and 2.2 MK folding rear. Suppose i could sell the MK’s as a pair but i prefer a good lump of surplus grip up front for obvious reasons in the Lakes.

anc
    Free Member

I ran the ust mk’s in the lakes they lasted 5 rides and they were totally goosed… Never again. I’d stick with a more robust tyre like the rq. Current tyre of choice are standard maxxis minions with stans.

Northwind

MKs are pretty substandard, like most older Contis they need the posh rubber just to perform as well as everyone else’s standard rubber. Wet weather not a speciality. I could never decide whether they were too slow for their grip or not grippy enough for their slowness but it’s one of the two depending on whether they were being more annoying for being draggy or for sliding around all over the shop.

Rubber Queen is a decent tyre. Prefer my Nevegals and they’d be my choice for this but RQ is not bad at all in black chili.

chiefgrooveguru

Not many other people are riding these but I recently acquired a Bontrager XR4 and a Specialized Purgatory, both full-size 2.2 (same size as a HR 2.35). XR4 rolls better, probably not as good in mud, both have lots of cornering grip and run well tubeless at low pressure. Not as soft and sticky as a Mud-X compound-wise but good wet grip and in another league to the old Continentals. Purgatory is dual compound, 60a/70a, don’t know about XR4. Both worth a look though!

rudedog
    Free Member

I’ve been running a 2.4/2.2 front back combo (both black chilli) for a good few months now and they are great all round tyres.

You need to really pay attention to air pressure though, especially the rear. They are super grippy on slowish technical rock sections as the high volume gives a large contact patch of sticky black chilli – however, they don’t perform very well when cornering at speed with low pressures and can feel unstable.

There is a sweet spot you need to find that will depend entirely on your weight and riding style – I’m 15 stone and run mine around 20-25 psi on the front(2.4) and 30-35 psi on the rear (2.2)

Swayndo
    Free Member

Winter for me = 2.35 Swampys – 60a rear and Supertacky front set up tubeless with latex. Nothing comes close IMHO.

mikey74
    Free Member

Anyone know the weight of 2.35 swampys?

Swayndo
    Free Member

Would think around 750g for single ply, but not entirely sure.

You don’t need to add the weight of the mud to these tho cos they shed so well 🙂

repatriot
    Free Member

Ran RQ ust F&R for 6 months. Worked well in the drier months But come winter I had to change the rear as it clogged up way to much and the front washed out on wet rocks! Then I tried Maxxis Advantages which I think are one of the best all year tyres out there. Much better rolling than RQ and can handle mudd quite well just wish they did the 2.25 in ust! Running 2.25 front and 2.1 ust rear.

repatriot
    Free Member

Swampies really are for filthy condition only, not worth the drag other wise!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Rubber Queen 2.2 / MK 2.2 decent all round winter combo?’ is closed to new replies.