Home Forums Bike Forum Rsp dropper… Anyone got one?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Rsp dropper… Anyone got one?
  • doncorleoni
    Free Member

Morning all. I miss my dropper…. Not buying another reverb (had two and both failed and needed constant attention).

Anyone got one of these budget droppers…. Yes I know they are only two position, won’t be as smooth as reverb)

Hard to find any real life reviews on this post. Seems to be a rebranded SATORI product (selling on ebay as zoom seatpost).

Seems to be more info out there on the tmars but I don’t like the look of that one.

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/rsp-plummet-remote-dropper-272mm-seat-post-id82603.html

jonk

Tried one out last week – hardly any play, very smooth, not a rocket- quite controlled action and the lever was very smooth requiring little pressure to release the post. Not long term but was quite impressed.

hora
    Free Member

Two things that do put me off going cheap.

In 8months time when the one man band on ebay gets a ‘hey my post is faulty’ how easy is it to get it fixed?

You drop the post then mid descent it creeps or springs back up.

Yes total paranoia but its cost down cheap.

On the jejames RSP I see that 82quid as too expensive compared to a (better?) Hi lo if that makes sense?

Buy better once? Im heavy too and have heard of pin mechanisms snapping under heavy riders.

How about:

http://www.freeborn.co.uk/x-fusion-hilo-100-125-seatpost-2014?gclid=CMy6vYmat70CFZHJtAodp0oAQQ

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Good to know… Cheers. Think I will give one a go! Cannot be any worse (reliability wise) than my reverbs! Basically just a spring in a tube!

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Hora… I supposedly have bought better… Twice with the bloody reverb which was great when it worked! The rsp post is actually a Raleigh product (not one man band) manufactured by SORATA (one of the biggest manufactures of bike parts).

The hilo looks good – but it’s air sprung not mechanical. I could buy x2 rsp posts for that money and when they fail, strip them down easily and hopefully fix.

Get what you are saying though

Will give it a go I think

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Oh and the rsp is a collet mech like the spesh command post. One thing it’s got over the tmars which is a pin in hole actuated mech.

Daniel
    Free Member

I’ve an RSP one. Bought it because it’s 27.2 and cheap – wanted to see what the fuss is about. So far so good. Sometimes need a helping hand to pop up from the lowest position. No play yet but the cable is very short so I’ve changed that which is easy and there are instructions. Decided I really like having a dropper so might look at the Thomson post in the future as I’m a bit of a tart and the RSP one with that rubber boot is ugly.

thepodge
    Free Member

Hora, Harry hated his hi-lo

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Cheers Daniel… By helping hand… Do you mean you need to pull it up or put some weight on it whilst pushing remote? I have heard that is a problem with the tmars one.

Daniel
    Free Member

Just a little pull on the nose of the saddle whilst pressing the lever. Not too much of an issue as it’s to raise the saddle after technical/fast stuff is over and there’s pedalling to do. It won’t lower without weight on the saddle.

ben10
    Free Member

Ya there very good for the money only had mine for 6 months but seems good so far.i went for it over a jap copy as its made buy raliegh bikes so good for parts if needed

hora
    Free Member

Podge Pats had his for years. Mind you he hardly touches the ground when he rides.

smurfly13
    Free Member

I have the Satori Sorata Pro version of the same thing. The rebranded one on ebay is sold by Quattro Sports, who also happen to be the UK seller of the tmars!

I’ve put it through its paces at Cwmcarn and CYB and it’s been faultless!

No play on mine, stripped it down to have a look and seems nothing could go wrong (it uses metal guide slides rather than the tmars plastic ones which have been reported to wear out)

I had an initial problem with the return rate not reaching the top, but increasing the spring tension on the base plate solved that and returns every time!,

When it arrived, the remote cable was a little short for my setup so needed a new gear cable and outer from the garage stock but can hardly complain at that!

For a budget post with 3 height (full up, half way, full down) it’s well worth the money (£72 when I bought mine!)

Do it! You won’t regret it!

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Smurfly… Yup… I just took delivery of the Sorata zoom. Had the same problem initially as you… Stripped the thing down as you do to see how it works. Very simple, not much to go wrong. I ended up stretching the spring a tiny bit to improve the return rate. As well as cleaning and regreasing everything. Jag wire cable is a little short but will do for now.

Actually pretty pleased with the action…. Feels just like the spesh command post. Nice and solid with much less play than either of my two reverbs.

So far so good. For 75 squids delivered I am pretty happy. The boot looks a bit plop but does the job (i don’t think you would want to run without it – your post would not like it as you will see from pics below)

vmgscot

I bought one for the GF’s hardtail (apparently, she can no longer ride a bike unless it has a dropper). Needed the 27.2. Was nicely surprised at the quality for the £75 paid. Had same problem as others with a too short cable run (and the GF’s bike is a small 15″ frame) but a spare mech cable/outer sorted it.

Operation has been fine and GF took no time to adjust from her Reverb to the clunky action of the RSP… the three fixed positions suit her fine.

I have a Gravity Dropper so hoping this simple post lasts as long as that.

GregMay
    Free Member

One of our mechanics has one. He’s treated as a ‘test’ by refusing to do any servicing on it all winter. It still works as good as it did when he got it. I think in 4 months he’s only now changing the cable and housing.
    But, at staff price it wasn’t much of a punt to try it out if it broke – and it hasn’t. Win win.

smurfly13
    Free Member

Good choice Don!! Well worth while budget buy

mindmap3
    Free Member

There was a review on the Dirt mag site and they quite liked it.

I’m quite tempted to try one on my Stanton because I really miss my Reverb that’s on the other bike (my Reverb has been faultless so far and used all winter).

distanced0
    Free Member

Sorata pro here and it’s great. Longer cable added and switch running upside down keeps it out the way. I haven’t touched the post at all internally. Bargain.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Rsp dropper… Anyone got one?’ is closed to new replies.