Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 123 total)
  • Royal Mail Strike(Why we are going on strike)CWU Dvd
  • sootyandjim
    Free Member

I wasn't. I was showing that (Good) service isn't necessarily profit.

Well in that case actually you're wrong there.

Good service from the NHS produces a 'profit' which is the customer not having to continue using the service over an extended period of time. In other words, if the NHS does their job right the first time the patient will cost then (and by them I of course mean us) less in the long run.

Although no actual money has changed hands between the 'customer' and NHS money is saved if the job is well done and this saving can in a manner be considered 'profit'.

The same can be said for any branch of the civil service and the military too.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

In other words..

"Do it once, and do it right"

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

LOL @ Sooty !

and ….

"What does it profit a man if he gains the whole world and loses his soul?"

eh ?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    stumpyjon

Really about time RM employees got into the real world. RM is no longer a public service, it is a business. My dad now works for RM and some of the stories and working practices he's told me about are truly staggering. All rather sounds like the dying gasps of people who's fulltime jobs have evolved into blocks to progress (union reps). Unions have an important role to play looking after individual members, the time has long past where business let the unions dictate how a business is run.

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

sootyandjim fails again.
    If the NHS does it job right, you live longer and need more, not less medical care. If they screw up completely you die and stop being their problem.

BTW did you ever find out where the salmon farms are on the Tay?

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

mick – Member
    well if you window cleaner chooses to clean your windows after his 48hr week then you may do dunno where hes posted but i sure dont do any work in my off time

Well my boss has a regular gardener who is a fireman, and his mate(s) have just redecorated all through his house. How DO they find the time to put in a full time job, and still have the time and energy for second jobs? Assuming that they are actually working in the first place. Remind me again, what goes on during a nightshift? And I've been in firestations at night and seen!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

RM is no longer a public service, it is a business.

Actually it always has been. So nothing's changed then.

stumpyjon

In which case it's one and only reason for existing is to make money for it's shareholders. Most businesses realise that they will make more money if they other a good service but the fundamental reason d'etre is to make money not to provide a service. As for the unions whinging on about the employees rights to jobs etc. and the purpose of the business being to keep people employed 🙄 (although again good businesses usually realise they will make more money with a well motivated workforce, but the primary motive is the profit).

Personally I'm quite happy with businesses being there to make money, if a service is so important to society it should be provided by the government whose priority should be the provision of the service.

firestarter
    Free Member

i dont know chatsworth get round to leeds central station for 7 tonight and you can watch how busy i am if you interested ? 😉

El-bent
    Free Member

RM is no longer a public service

It still is and its about time other "services" like Water, leccy etc be turned back into services for the public instead of a high priced service cut privatised cash cow for boards of directors and shareholders.

It seems some of you still believe that privatisation works. It hasn't worked for the UK public.

DickBarton

I'm still no wiser as to why they are striking and I stand by my comments I made on a previous thread – if they aren't wanting to work – sack them, then they can see how they survive with no money coming in…any money coming in to pay bills is better than none…so let them go and give the job to someone who would appreciate the job…this idea of going on strike because they aren't happy with changes is just alien to me…suck it up and get on with it as you are one of the lucky ones that has a job with an income.

RichPenny
    Free Member

this idea of going on strike because they aren't happy with changes is just alien to me

Really? Seems pretty sensible to me tbh. I take it you are with the guy on the first page then, happy working for a company making huge profits, doing loads of unpaid ot because they've made too many people redundant. Personally I just think you're jealous that they have decent representation and you don't. Ah well, bend over and enjoy your corporate shafting then…

Good luck Rich and all the other posties on here.

Dark-Side

The problem for a lot of punters, me included is I fail to see how the service we receive can get any worse than it has been for years now, so I couldn't care less about your conditions. The wildcat strikes happening now have cost me £50 as my claim for my phone rebate didn't get to T-mobile until after the deadline, and my dads birthday card and prezzie arrived nearly a week later than it should have done. I was stood behind a woman in the post office yesterday who's sister had died and the majority of condolance cards and messages had arrived a week after the funeral. In all honesty would you feel sympathy for Royal Mail workers if you were her?
    Twice this month I have come home from work to find packages on my doorstep in clear view of the street because the postie couldn't be bothered filling out a card and putting it through the letter box. I'm constantly cleaning red elastic bands out of the garden you fail to take with you and the gate is never closed like it was when you came through it. It doesn't happen anymore but we used to get cards through the door saying there was no-one in to receive a parcel whe my wife was at home on maternity leave, resulting in a trek to the local sorting office for a heavily pregant women.
    I don't think it's the organisation thats the problem but a significant amount of Royal Mail workers attitude to the job. Whe you pay us some respect we may care whether you keep your job or not. I'd have privatised the service years ago.

TooTall
    Free Member

One of the coffee companies I use has just e-mailed to say they have chucked Royal Mail because of the interruptions to business and gone with DHL.

Sadly, industrial action is driving business away and damaging image beyond repair.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

"RM is no longer a public service"

It still is…..

imo nationalised companies in Britain (with the obvious exception of the NHS) have almost never been run as 'services' for the benefit of consumers and the general public.

Indeed this is precisely why, for example, British Rail was a failure. In contrast, the French saw public transport as providing a vital and necessary service to the nation, and as a consequence, the history of the French nationalised railways is one of impressive successes.

Furthermore, despite the fact that a nationalised industry might not necessarily create a profit, the "social wage" it provides, contributes hugely to the economic well-being of the individuals within the society.

grantway
    Free Member

Wish you much luck mate
    Unless others worked in such work places and enviroments
    then there will be an understanding.

stumpyjon

^^ 🙄

I actually think it is many of the Royal Mail employees who could do with a dose of understanding what it is like on the other side and before you ask I have, albeit a long time ago, worked for RM and as I said earlier my Dad does so I do have some understanding of the RM work place.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

…..as I said earlier my Dad does

So does the multi-millionaire Alan Crozier.

And ?

guido

When i worked from home a card came saying that it wasnt in etc, but i was sat less than 2m from the door.
    i read it, opened the door to a shocked postie and asked for the parcel as i was in and he had not knocked. He had to then admit he didnt have it and could i go and collect it? FFS.

A couple of years ago i got birthday cards through the mail and each one had been opened. I complained and they said that i can collect my mail from the sorting office if i was concerned.

roddersrambler
    Free Member

I work 9 hour days with no break for 8 hours pay.
    I won't be going on strike as all these problems have been on going for the last 2 years or so,and the timing of this action (middle of the worst recession since pre war) sums up the thick unions.Remember the coal miners striking in the spring/summer ?? Thick as the brown stuff.

I think the problem lies with management.The decisions and waste made by these idiots are staggering at times.
    eg.
    we had a manager who used to work nights and they continued to pay him his substantial night allowance 18 months after he started on days.
    eg.
    designing a barcode scanner (£150 each,1 for every delivery) to be replaced a year later by a Pda that will do the same job. (£1500 each)
    eg.
    When i started 10 years ago we had 2 managers and about 80 staff,we now have 60 staff and 4 managers !

I can't stand unions as i think in general they are thick and lazy and try and justify their fees by kicking up a fuss about nothing most of the time.I would generally agree that it would be in a managers interest to keep staff happy.However when a business is so big and in a position where quality of service is overlooked in order to incease(not turn loss into profit) profits,normal business rules seem to be thrown out the window.
    The sooner they realise that an improvement in service leads to increased profits the better.You can't do the former by cutting services and staff and so the latter is impossible.

Their are also other issues about cherry picking services by private companies etc,but that is for another day !

dmjb4
    Free Member

not bothered to read all the above comments, but being a postie is an unskilled manual labour job. 99.9% of the country can read, walk and ride a bicycle. 85% of the country is licenced to drive a small van.

so this should be a minimum wage job. unfortunately a few union monkeys want to earn £100k a year so posties go on strike all the time.

our place employs 5000 odd people, we've just switched to dx and email / pdf for as much as we can following yet another postal strike messing up things for us. thats quite a few less parcels and envelopes going by royal mail. all the current strike has done is meant a few less postal workers are required in our area. well done boys!

basically posties need to join the real world, accept a big pay cut, and work harder, because otherwise their firm won't exist in 10 years time.

aracer
    Free Member

imo nationalised companies in Britain (with the obvious exception of the NHS) have almost never been run as 'services' for the benefit of consumers and the general public.

Indeed this is precisely why, for example, British Rail was a failure. In contrast, the French saw public transport as providing a vital and necessary service to the nation, and as a consequence, the history of the French nationalised railways is one of impressive successes.
    Indeed not. The workers tended to see them as being provided for their benefit. Presumably that was what you meant, GG?

Unfortunately, the problems with the British railway system go rather deeper into our national psyche than that.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

basically posties need to join the real world

But not as much as you.

Then perhaps, you wouldn't come out with bollox like this : "unfortunately a few union monkeys want to earn £100k a year".

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

aracer – the only difference British railways and French railways, was government policy towards them.
    Simple as.

aracer
    Free Member

That kind of contradicts your previous point I think, but I'm happy to agree with you (though I don't think it particularly contradicts my previous point – it's not as if attitudes towards the railways have improved).

RichPenny
    Free Member

basically posties need to join the real world, accept a big pay cut, and work harder, because otherwise their firm won't exist in 10 years time.

Perhaps if you had read more of the posts above, you would have learnt that RM is making huge profits WHILST posties are working under current conditions.

There are lots of manual labour jobs paying above the minimum wage, why should a postie be different? I'm not happy for anyone to be working for minimum wage, particularly so when the employer is very successful.

ziggy
    Free Member

I really couldn't bring myself to watch that posted link.
    All I would like is my post delivered on time, preferably before I go to work. How is it still posible to get delays and lost mail in the 21st century with our vast transport network and computer driven systems?
    I posted some pedals the other day to Scotland, all for £2.89 recorded delivery, it arrived next day, to me that was a bargain and I would happily pay more for that service. My lunch cost more than that!

I'd also like to thank the postie for not delivering my insurance certificate on time due to strikes as I couldn't tax my car without it.

The RM is aeons old now surely you should have mastered the art of a postal service by now.

project
    Free Member

Last saturday a postie put a card through to say he couldnt deliver a parcel,but i was in, so chased after him, and he said he tried to deliver it the day before friday, but i wasnt in, so didnt bother try today saturday,and friday he said he didnt have any cards to leave.
    so a drive to the office thats open from 07.00 to 11.00 hrs on a saturday, and 07.00 to 13.00 on a weekday,despite staff being there all day.

We as a customer make the effort to deliver the mail to a post box, all the staff have to do is pick it up once a day, sort it and then redeliver it within 2 days.

Or is that to easy. SEEMS SO.

project
    Free Member

Also theyre haveing a national ballot, by post, has anyone told the union theyre on strike and theres 20 million letters stuck in the system, and that doesnt include all the wrongly delivered,stolen or damaged letter already.

What a way to run anything.

RichPenny
    Free Member

We as a customer make the effort to deliver the mail to a post box, all the staff have to do is pick it up once a day, sort it and then redeliver it within 2 days.

Let me get this straight; you think it's a harder process for you to walk to the nearest postbox than the sorting and redelivery part. Despite that requiring enormous infrastructure and thousands of workers. OK. Lets also consider the many thousands of pieces of mail you've received without incident. Do you remember them, or just take them for granted?

aracer
    Free Member

Perhaps if you had read more of the posts above, you would have learnt that RM is making huge profits WHILST posties are working under current conditions.

To be totally accurate, they made huge profits during the last period they reported for (presumably to April, can't be bothered to check, sorry). Doesn't mean they're making huge profits at the moment, let alone going to make them in the future. Exactly the sort of very valid point my company made to us when implementing redundancies this year after making very decent profits last year.

boxelder

Posties and firemen. Last bastions of old school union idiocy

I think you'll find teaching unions can be quite old school too – ours managed to get rid of our maniac, bullying head – we'd be stuck with him now otherwise

Really about time RM employees got into the real world

Is that the real world of job insecurity and shafting whoever you can for a profit – sorry, 'meeting targets'?

There's always going to be rogues in every industry. Every postie I know is decent, hard working but harassed.

management/target/streamlining/b0ll0x just destroys peoples pride in their work.

Good luck Rich, some of us can cope with mail being a little late for a day or two.

RichPenny
    Free Member

The post I replied to stated that unless posties worked harder and for less that the RM would cease to exist. Do you agree with that? Enjoy your ot by the way, I hope you get paid…

project
    Free Member

Rich Penny all the infrastructure was put into place and paid for by us the customer and tax payer, probably

cheers_drive

Really? Seems pretty sensible to me tbh. I take it you are with the guy on the first page then, happy working for a company making huge profits, doing loads of unpaid ot because they've made too many people redundant. Personally I just think you're jealous that they have decent representation and you don't. Ah well, bend over and enjoy your corporate shafting then…

I'm that guy and If I don't like it I can leave the company when the economy picks up. Why don't the posties leave and go to the competitors that are 'cherry picking' all the best contracts?
    What Dark Side says is something many have experienced too which doesn't help your cause.
    Firemen, tubeworkers and postal workers appear to strike more than others and yet fail to justify (to me) why they are striking.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Correct. Same goes for microsoft and intel. But guess what, I still reckon it's harder to develop an OS and a computer than it is to type…

Peregrine
    Free Member

Who cares if the posties go on strike, maybe the crap that comes through my letter box each day will stop for a while. Bills & junk mail.

RichPenny
    Free Member

I'm that guy and If I don't like it I can leave the company when the economy picks up.

Surely it would be better in that scenario to stand up for yourself and refuse to do excessive amounts of unpaid ot? I know you can't do that, but some people can through unions and I don't begrudge them that.

I ignored Darksides post because it mainly appeared to be chuntering on about a single incident which they've used to denigrate the entire business. Did I miss something?

I'm not a postie btw, it just irks me to see peoples rights eroded and then the only comments being that once someones fathers mothers brother got a **** card a day late 😈

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Reckon the CWU are going to be busy, i'm in that union and just at the start of a dispute with BT over working hours and a good few other things too

Think there could be a bit of disruption all round this winter, too many companies have seen the so called recession as a way to intimidate their staff

Terms and conditions that have been fought for over many years are now being eroded or removed at the drop of a hat
    Old gits like me can put up with it for a few years until retirement, but it would be nice to leave the younger generation reasonable and safe working conditions

thekingisdead
    Free Member

The Irish posties are out on wildcat strikes over the same issues. Apparently they're sending out a postal ballot to decide whether to return to work…..

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 123 total)

The topic ‘Royal Mail Strike(Why we are going on strike)CWU Dvd’ is closed to new replies.