Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Router to wifi router / wifi repeater question
  • clubber
    Free Member

I’m in the process of having an attic extension done at the moment.

at the mo, I have a cable modem connected via Ethernet cable to a wifi router.

Having now tested, the wifi signal in the attic is a bit hit and miss so I’m thinking of the following :

– cat5/Ethernet cable running from the existing router to the attic
    – wifi router in the attic connected to the cable acting as a repeater eg it would have the same SSID as the existing wifi.

would this work and if so is there any specific router or type if router I need?

or is there a better way to do it? wifi repeater on the middle floor maybe to avoid the need for cabling (though an internet TV is a possibility for the attic so I might need a cable…)

Thanks!

ask1974
    Free Member

You mean ‘Wi-Fi access point’ not router, but other than that yes a cable from your router to the attic would be best. Especially if you want to install an internet enabled TV as you want the best and strongest signal possible. Better yet a direct cable connection if you fancy streaming movies etc…

There is never any better solution than a cable.

Cougar

Homeplugs, perhaps. Depends whether your attic power is on some sort of ‘creative’ wiring loop tho.

Personally, I’d do what you’ve suggested and run a length of CAT5 up there I reckon.

verticalclimber
    Free Member

personally i’d run 2 cables(if you donts want a hub), will be faster and never be hacked (if your bothered by that).

clubber
    Free Member

thanks all. sounds like the wired AP is the way to go!

clubber
    Free Member

thanks all. sounds like the wired AP is the way to go!

ask1974
    Free Member

echo?

clubber
    Free Member

bump for the daytime crowd (though it sounds like we’ve got a consensus)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Router to wifi router / wifi repeater question’ is closed to new replies.