Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Rough cost of getting on mains gas
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

Presuming the estate across the road has gas .. House im looking at is on oil as it was built many many many years ago ( 110 years and went oil 15 years ago when the house was. Lone house mid nowhere) ) and many of the houses furthr up the road have gas in place

Need to put a new boiler and cooker in anyway so trying to look at options for pricing

Or do i just stay on oil and stick in a non condemned boiler 🙂

richmars

If it’s like our village, several millions! Or not worth it according to (what used to be)British Gas.

project
    Free Member

Expensive.

Sharp intake of breath.

warton
    Free Member

my mum was quoted 20k, but that was for a mile or so of pipe…

tang
    Free Member

Bottles for cooker and wood for stove with rads plus emersion for water? Thats what we had growing up, not that far from mains but was going to cost a load even then (80s). We did live in a wood so plenty of fuel. Could do something future proof with the money? Stoner is the man on this forum.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Aye we are talking being 100 ft from an estate with gas

Ill go oil if i need to im oil atm at my current house. Would mean it freed up utility room as floor mounted in utility room takes up loads of room – could stick an outdoor floor stander in and regain that space… And woodburner would be going in the main living space – we find we hardly use the oil heating due to the fire in the rental property we are in just for hot water – just curious to mains gas as i think it was stoner reckoned for the forseable future it was the cheapest form of heating.

Looking into other renewable ideas also but need to get some form of heating and hotwater put in to live in it if i went for this house and cant afford to go dowm the renewables atm due to needing to spend a chunk on windows,roofing and insulation ( afterall its cheaper to insulate than to continually heat 😉 )

trail_rat
    Free Member

Yes tang im hoping stoner pops up 😉

stevehine

It cost us about 600 quid when we got connected; There’s a fixed price if you are within 20 metres of the main gas supply (I seem to remember – though this was four years ago now) – we were just on the limit.

The hardest thing we had was getting anyone to admit the pipe existed that we were then connected to !

metalheart
    Free Member

Well if it’s outside the house and domestic it’s around £8-900 I think.

You can get a quote from SGN (you in the NE aren’t you?).

I could find out a bit more at work tomorrow as we do ‘conversion’ upgrades as part of our range of duties if you want me too. Domestic jobs, oh joy.

metalheart
    Free Member

Oh and you’ll need a meter (from a shipper) then there’s the internals to do to but that’s separate.

Bear
    Free Member

Why is the boiler condemed?

we just had gas laid onto a property for about £600 for a 25m run.
    With medium pressure meters they are able to get gas to more properties now.

Renewables are nice but as you say if you are able to get gas then it is still more cost effective, and you won’t get RHI payments if you are on a gas network I believe.

Where are you in the country?

trail_rat
    Free Member

No idea why condemned just mentioned it was old old old in the home report and the boiler had – do not use written on it

Internals ? You mean the actual heat system boiler and heaters ? Yeah ive got rough prices done for both oil and gas with new efficient heaters and moving pipework Current system is 15 years plus old and has an electric immersion system for the hot water and a monster huge boiler just doing the heat ……..

I think i need to read up on renewables a bit more as it was on my mind but it would be a longer term plan and would still have to get the place habitable and thus heated

The incentives wont be around for long so im not going to fall into tht trap ….. Like the diesel and lpg trap – get folk hooked at cheap prices and then up the tax once they have outlaid the capital ! – going for the insulate factor first for my green credentials in any property i look at

Im in north east scotland and yeah metalheart ill give sgn a shout tomorrow when im at work

Its in a property im looking at and im trying to get some rough figures together in my head re making an offer its looking like its priced that i could only just break even calling in alot of homers by tradesman family members and plenty graft ….. So needing to do some thinking but it would be a good family home once finished which is what im looking for more than return on investment

Stoner
    Free Member

it shouldnt be too difficult to compare the capital & running costs over, say the next 20 years of Oil (allowing for new boiler as necc), installations of gas (and new boiler etc) or replacement with thermal store + Biomass + Solar thermal. With or without RHI payments.

Gas will continue to be the cheapest source of fuel as well as boilers for quite a while yet, but Id allow at least £100 per metre for trenching on site, then another 2x man-days labour for breakthrough into the house etc. So maybe £5k? just a guess.

Going for renewables though is a tricky thing to do if capital is scarce as its an investment in lower running costs as opposed to sticking with oil which is an increasing operating cost commitment.

It rather depends on your financial outlook as well as just how much of a bunnyhugger you are.

metalheart
    Free Member

ill give sgn a shout tomorrow when im at work

Err, don’t expect an answer in a hurry off them. They work on a 28 day turnaround on proper quotes I think.

Still they should be able to give you a steer though.

Oh they have a 90 lead in after acceptance too iirc.

For internals I mean from the (external) meter into the house and run to serve the boiler and cooker. I figured you’d know about the boiler and heating pipe work… 😀

trail_rat
    Free Member

Tbh what ive taken from this and the figures banded about im probably better sticking in replacement oil boiler and investigating gshp/ underfloor heating and solar electric sources – im young enough i could probably reap the benifits if the technology is proving reliable

Im capital limited at start up due to getting a mortgage at the moment is a chuffing mare and although sticking on a new roof and windows isnt an issue sticking 20-30k into renewables wouldnt be possible till next year at earliest

Stoner
    Free Member

20-30k

Not wholly neccessary.
    You can do solar DIY for c. £2k.
    A thermal store for £1k.
    and woodviking pelletmaster (MCS approved) for £5k

metalheart
    Free Member

I was talking to a local pellet supplier a year or two back who was trying to get the complete pellet heating system installed cost down to under £12k. Don’t know if he managed but he has a vested interest in doing so!

I could pass on his details if you get that far down the road…

spooky_b329

When my parents looked into this, the gas board sent letters to the other 15 houses in the street and if enough people took it up, they installed the pipe and just charged to connect each house. Could be worth looking into if you have a few neighbours.

trail_rat
    Free Member

your on it stoner …..

just lookin into solar this morning and it states that you no longer need planning permission to get solar in – property has a shit load of roof space to utilise

im not convinced by pellets – due to the mrs would just plain forget to fill the hopper and be left without heat then moan (i go away with work regularly)

heat pumps interest me and solar interests me greatly – almost fully discounting the gas connection. It has an electric shower and i could install a woodburner instantly and that would heat the bulk of the house and then use the immersion for hot water till i got sorted with a plan since both those ideas cost a good chunk more than a new oil boiler!

TooTall
    Free Member

t_r – if you installed a bigger stove and plumb it in, you could use it to heat water as well and use the immersion as backup.

Stoner
    Free Member

^ What TT said. The thermal store is your friend here as you can link up the solar thermal and the stove back boiler to it to capture energy when it’s being produced from either source, but you have a different call-for heat supply, say gas or oil boiler that can be swapped out easy as pie at a later date if you choose to change source. You can also use an (or two+) immersion in a thermal store if you dont fit a call for boiler straight away.

cb

This won’t help but I had a pipe laid for a previous house and it was the worst experience of customer service I ever had!! Price changed every time I called (which ended up quite helpful!), they ‘lost’ quotes 3 times and then turned up and started digging across a courtyard that wasn’t mine. This was also the route they told me I couldn’t use previously! I ended up paying about 1200 for a pipe no more than 30 metres long, which included the backhander I had to pay for the pipe to cross land that wasn’t mine.

The company was Trans something or other. Idiots to a man.

richc
    Free Member

which thermal store would you go for in the 1K range, and I am pricing up a system at the moment and the quotes I have had are all around 15K + VAT (WinHager and SolarTherm)

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Rough cost of getting on mains gas’ is closed to new replies.