Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • Rock Shox Pike setup
  • graeme87
    Free Member

Anyone got any good tips on setting up the new rock shox pikes? Just put mine on and wondering if there are any tips kicking about. Used to setting up fox but not rock shox

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Interested in this too, what rebound and compression settings are you all running?

outspoken
    Free Member

Their YouTube channel has a couple of vids, one covers the tokens…

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

I’ve got 160mm pikes running with no tokens
    I’ve tried to set them up like my previous floats with 5/6 clicks from full slow and they felt terrible, everything I’ve read on mtbr ( huge thread about pikes ) says most people run 30% sag and 3/4 click from full fast on high and slow speed. I tried this today and it felt great but that’s just my opinion

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

3/4 clicks fastest rebound? And 3/4 clicks of low speed compression you mean?

jairaj

The brand of the fork has no bearing on how you set the fork up. It’s the same procedure for all. There are many guides on the Web.

The set up is also highly personal so I see little benefit in asking other peoples settings.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

It’s a good starting point though isn’t it , especially if like me you’ve not used/had a low speed compression adjuster before

mikewsmith
    Free Member

My general good starting point is
    Get a rough sag set
    Knobs to the middle
    Bounce – adjust rebound
    Ride
    Tweak
    Ride
    Tweak
    Repeat

Also the settings you get to are not the settings for every trail remember you paid a lot for the extra knobs you can use them when riding different styles of trail.

Llandgela black vs Snowdon for example

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

What exactly is the LSC? Obviously know what rebound does but the LSC I’m not to clear on?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Low speed compression, how much the fork travels on slow hits or under breaking (turn it all off and pull the front brake for a demo)

kimbers

I run mine at 30% sag, 3 clicks compression and 2 tokens- I think they are worth trying out and they are a piece of P to fit

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Ahhh right so it’s basically like the black dial on the ctd forks (kashima version that has soft medium and firm in trail mode)

I guess a medium setting would be a good starting point for that then

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Kimbers what rebound you running?

kimbers

erm a bit more , prob just under half I think way i think, but that may be a bit too slow

I actually managed to bottom the out yesterday was a 5ft drop to flat concrete I was going a bit too fast nose diving a bit

graeme87
    Free Member

Cheers everyone

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

a bump for the midweek folk, care to share any info on these forks?

fozzybear
    Free Member

First thing there is no compression adjustment on the pikes…
    The compression is fixed for each of the 3 settings.

OK that out the way the general thing is 30% sag and have at least 1 token inside (bigger lads get 2 tokens in).

I run 2 click off fastest for the slow rebound and about 5/6 from fastest on the main rebound.

Still tweaking them having used full travel on a big drop yesterday.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

no compression adjust?

they have low speed compression don’t they?

:confused:

warns74
    Free Member

OK that out the way the general thing is 30% sag and have at least 1 token inside (bigger lads get 2 tokens in).

Just fitted mine and was reading this thread with interest but now confused again….what the heck are tokens??!

richen987
    Free Member

tokens are the red plastic bits that come in the bag with the spare seals etc they reduce the air volume in your fork.

here is a video explaining them and how to fit them.

sram fitting instructions

fozzybear
    Free Member

Oscillate Wildly
    sorry i didn’t phrase that well and also made a typo.
    The 3 position compression dial has no adjustment (like Fox Trail adjust).

And yes your right the low speed is a Compression adjuster not a rebound adjuster as i mistakenly typed.
    if you put to much low speed compression on small hits will feel harsh and jarring.
    Run as little of this low speed as you can, enough to prevent fork dive (on braking) and as little to allow the forks to suck up the small bumps.

fozzybear
    Free Member

Sram pike tokens

jairaj

fozzybear
    First thing there is no compression adjustment on the pikes…

Are you sure about that? From the SRAM website for Pike RCT3

Adjustments External rebound, low speed compression, 3-position compression (Open/Pedal/Lock)

There is also a high speed compression stack in the RCT3 damper but its not externally adjustable.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

cheers fozzy for clarifying was just getting to terms with it yesterday lol

so does the low speed compression only work in OPEN mode? im guessing the lock, pedal mode have no adjustment?

so low speed needs to be as fast as possible you mean? how many clicks does the LSC have?

i run my fox’s with fast rebound, well over half way fast at least anyways

jairaj

The 3 position compression dial has no adjustment (like Fox Trail adjust).

Again are you sure? From SRAM’s website explaining the RCT3 damper

In addition to its three distinct modes, RCT3 features an independent adjustment of low speed compression.

It has way more adjustment possibilities than the Fox CTD adjust.

fozzybear
    Free Member

See above..

fozzybear
    Free Member

yes low speed compression ONLY works in fully open mode.

There is external adjustment to the open/pedal/lock modes.
    jairaj seams to be indicating there may be internal but i have the forks and the only external adjusters are rebound and low speed compression.

I think we checked about 14 clicks on low speed but i’m not 100%.
    I set mine all the way to – then went 4 towards the +.

my rebound is fast on my pikes, all the way to fast (bunny) then about 5/6 back to slow.
    works for me.

jairaj

But Rockshox are claiming the RCT3 damper has independent low speed compression adjust in addition to the 3 stage platform adjust?

*edit found the problem. There is a separate web page for the Charger damper with RCT3 which is inside the Pike. This appears to be different to the normal (non charger) RCT3 damper.

As said by Fozzybear the LSC only adjustable in open mode.

fozzybear
    Free Member

jairaj

On the fox you can adjust the compression of the “trail” mode on the fox to one of 3 fixed levels.

On the pike you can adjust low speed on the open mode only.
    the compression for trail (pedal) or locked is fixed and unajustable externally.

So while you have about 14 low speed compression settings for open mode on the pike you have 3 compression options for trail mode on the Fox.

not really “way more” ..

fozzybear
    Free Member

Low speed compression on the pike ONLY works in open mode.
    Edit : hehe 😀

jairaj

yep you’re right, please see my edit above. SRAM website is a bit miss leading.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

cheers fozzy, thats cleared things up for me thank you!

so what exactly is pedal mode? obviously climb is locked out(or near enough?) is the pedal mode for singletrack type stuff (with NO LSC)

does the RED rebound adjuster still have an effect in pedal mode too? or again is that just for the open mode like LSC?

cheers for the info good starting points

how much do you weigh fozzy?

graeme87
    Free Member

I’ve not fitted any tokens as of yet, the forks feel great but not rode anything really rough yet so might try 1 in and ride some nice scottish rock fest trails. I’m about 80kg would anyone recommend me fitting them?

fozzybear
    Free Member

Pedal (trail) mode has increased compression.
    To be honest i use open 99% of the time and pedal (trail) mode for the climbs and Locked for fireroads only.

I think pedal mode is what you make of it.
    I find that the compression is to high for “trail” use and prefer open mode. When i get the fork serviced i’ll ask TFTuned or loco if they can lower the compression internally.

(This is where the fox is better as you can put the trail mode into soft setting, where it is not as soft as decent mode but still has increased compression).

The red adjuster effects rebound for ALL modes but to be honest you should set it in open mode as this is when it will be most effective (and the mode you will be using the fork in 95% of the time).
    Rebound is the speed that the forks return when extending.

NOTE that the pike has a rapid recovery system which overrides the user set rebound in situations where the full stroke of the fork is used.

Graeme
    I’m 80kg (with gear maybe just over) and i needed a single token to ramp up the end of the stroke.
    Pike don’t blow though the mid stroke like Fox do but i can get full travel out them both at the same spot on our loop.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

cheers fozzy, thats really helpful

so is the + dial more divey or fimer on the LSC?

rebound ive no issues with at all, i like to run it just over half way towards the fastest side

fozzybear
    Free Member

+ is firmer.
    It will resist the compression of the forks while braking.
    BUT it will also resist small bumps so try and run it as low as you can.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

cool thats top info 🙂

many thanks for that, im quite light weight so guess that would have some say in the amount i need to run, guess i can run it quite low (minus) being lighter

ill probably start around 3 clicks from – (minus as thats the softer setting)

glad i sort of know what all the bits do now, ive not run LSC before

graeme87
    Free Member

Cheers @fozzybear

fozzybear
    Free Member

yer, you can run it with less effect (i.e. go to the minus and maybe 2 clicks to the +) see how it goes and add more if you need it.

weight also applies to the rebound as your lighter you may need slightly slower rebound than a heavier rider.

Minus for RS means LESS EFFECT.
    so – on LSC means less compression damping which means the fork is more supple on small bumps.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Thanks fozzy really has cleared it up for me! Will be looking at this thread when I have them

Seems all the dials are not quite as scary as I first thought

Didn’t know the lsc only had an effect in open mode either , so open mode really is quite easy to totally customise for any sort of terrain

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Rock Shox Pike setup’ is closed to new replies.