Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Rock Shox Monarch on Nukeproof Mega
  • bwaarp
    Free Member

I”m running about 210 psi and getting about 28/30 percent sag.

Simply put, when I pop off kerbs the shock blows through 95 percent of it’s travel. Is this normal? I want my DHX5 back lol

Blower
    Free Member

Sh1t shock imo.

or sh1t how its set internally. 😕

bwaarp
    Free Member

……I didn’t think you could buy a worse shock than a DHX5 :mrgreen: D@mnit I hate Rock Shox. It’s a false economy buying cheap Rock Shox off CRC. Being a student I’m starving as it is, I can’t afford BOS. I’ve had dodgey Totems with no compression adjustment and blown seals, dodgey Domains etc.

Do they all come like this, I’ve had so many things I’ve had to send back with this build. I don’t want to send this shock back and get it back with nothing done to it, can any tuners rip it apart and give it more mid-stroke compression support?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Run mine at about 180psi to give me about 25% sag. I don’t think it’s the best shock but doesn’t seem too bad. I’m not that heavy (12st) so maybe the standard tune works a bit better for me. Might be worth having a chat to TFT or Loco from here.

bwaarp
    Free Member

Yeah heres the clincher im 11.5 stone and if I run 180 psi I get about 35 percent sag.

Blown seals?

retro83
    Free Member

Sounds like you have a large air can and you need a small. Damping alone wouldn’t account for that much travel use on a frame that’s presumably designed to run quite a bit of sag.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Well mine is an RT3 and the tune I’m guessing is M H3 (no idea what that means though!)

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thanks Blob, had just found that via google. Looks like we have the same tune and are pretty happy with the way the shock is working. Wondering what tune others have?

Have noticed my shock running quite hot every now and again, could it be faulty?

BlobOnAStick

Lord only knows MrBlobby!

I’m watching with interest!

boxxer7
    Free Member

My shock was constantly runing hot and had real trouble keeping up with the bumps. Big hits it would blow through its travel…..add more air dampening gets worse and got very harsh.

Fitted a CCDB, problem solved. Its super responsive and is so smooth. Also pedals just as the monarch did, only downside is the weight.

hth

Dave.

boxxer7
    Free Member

Oh and mine went back on warrenty, apparently nothing wrong….then it started to leak.

bwaarp
    Free Member

I might put a Bos Vip’R on it if it comes back the same. Although when I used to run a Totem and a DHX5 on the same bike it felt whack, so I’m not sure I really want to mix and match F/R shocks again.

Northwind

Nothing at all wrong with the Monarch, it’s broadly as good as an unPush’d RP23 IMO. But sounds like yours may be foobarred or spec’d wrong.

bwaarp
    Free Member

Meh bit pissed off about this tbh. If this is the stock tune the bike isn’t for aggressive enduro like it’s made out to be, the shocks been setup for mincers who just ride a 6 inch travel bike round Coed-Y-Brenin. It’s been setup very very plush (if it isn’t ****) for people who don’t ride quick enough to need a stiffer setup.

mildred

I spoke to TFtuned about the monarch and their opinion was that, based on days of fannying around with one they just couldn’t get it to work properly on the compression side. They don’t like dealing with them now because no customers are that happy with the results.

Interestingly, Push are supplying a tuned Monarch, but only currently if you buy from them, and not available outside the US. I was redierected to TF when I asked them to fettle mine, but TF don’t have the aftermarket kits yet.

Oh, & in my experience, contrary to what’s been written above, they’re nowhere near as good as a standard Fox Float.

retro83
    Free Member

bwaarp – Member
    Meh bit pissed off about this tbh. If this is the stock tune the bike isn’t for aggressive enduro like it’s made out to be, the shocks been setup for mincers who just ride a 6 inch travel bike round Coed-Y-Brenin. It’s been setup very very plush (if it isn’t ****) for people who don’t ride quick enough to need a stiffer setup.

Before you go any further, find out from TF Tuned or Loco how much it will be to get a small volume air can. Looking at the pics from CRC, the frame does come with a high volume can and the smaller one should really improve the things you’re complaining about.

brant
    Free Member

Or alternatively, shim the airspace in the high volume can with official or unofficial tuning shims. Ie: rubber bands.

BlobOnAStick

Before you go any further………

…….make sure the shock you were supplied with is the right one for the frame.

Me and MrBlobby have MH3, what do you have?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Fitted a CCDB, problem solved. Its super responsive and is so smooth. Also pedals just as the monarch did, only downside is its costs half as much as the frame, which is probably out of budget given you bought a relatively cheap frame to start with

FTFY.

boxxer7
    Free Member

Fitted a CCDB, problem solved. Its super responsive and is so smooth. Also pedals just as the monarch did, only downside is its costs half as much as the frame, which is probably out of budget given you bought a relatively cheap frame to start with

Nothing stopping you picking one up 2nd hand it’s a very common size.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Rock Shox Monarch on Nukeproof Mega’ is closed to new replies.