Home Forums Bike Forum Rock Shox Black Box Damper – Where From & Cost?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Rock Shox Black Box Damper – Where From & Cost?
  • letmetalktomark

Looking tentatively for one of the above for a 2012 Reba :?

I am sure I have seen prices on here for similar that didn’t seem too scary :lol:

nixie

Loco sells them I think. http://www.locotuning.co.uk/%5B/url%5D

LoCo
    Free Member

It’d be a DNA moco damper and dual flow rebound damper which is simialr to last years Blackbox dual flow unit, Blackbox is sooooo last year :D :wink: saying that the RCT3 dampered Revs knock spots off last years RLT TI Blacbox kitted revs, and they’ll be reasonably priced too from me :D

letmetalktomark

LoCo – Member

It’d be a DNA moco damper and dual flow rebound damper which is simialr to last years Blackbox dual flow unit, Blackbox is sooooo last year saying that the RCT3 dampered Revs knock spots off last years RLT TI Blacbox kitted revs, and they’ll be reasonably priced too from me

I did drop you a mail via your inquiry form but heard nothing :(

Might you be able to email me details?

Regards,

MArk

LoCo
    Free Member

Mark, strange nothing in the inbox from anyone about BB dampers, anyway mail will be with you soon, all dampers are in stock or will be in a day or two :D

reggiegasket
    Free Member

[hijack]
    I’ve just sent you something about tweaking some coil Sektors Loco
    [hijack finished]

tony24
    Free Member

Loco what are my options with regards to getting rid of my pop lock they are brand new revs but i cannot stand the remote lock out.

retro83
    Free Member

What’s new in the DNA damper? Any performance improvements over normal moco+dual flow rebound?

My compression damper is knocking on extension (seems like a check valve is failing) so considering upgrade instead of replacement.

slinkybike
    Free Member

If it’s knocking on extension it’s more likely the spring or the rebound rod or the bottom of the mo-co cartridge is loose.

LoCo
    Free Member

Tony24, which model fork and damper is it?

Retro the damper is different in terms of porting and function having an extra shim stack in it too, the only pictures I have are not good enough quality to use as off my old phone.
    The quality of damping is improved giving more control across the range, it’s also more custom tunable than the old damper units.
    I’m pretty cynical about new stuff, but I am seriously impressed with my 2012 Revelation RCT3s even as stock before I’ve started to retune things.

retro83
    Free Member

slinkybike – Member

If it’s knocking on extension it’s more likely the spring or the rebound rod or the bottom of the mo-co cartridge is loose.

It only knocks when blue dial is turned to anything other than fully open which is why i think it’s the comp damper. Could be the bottom nut being loose I suppose, don’t recall checking that last time I opened the damper.

LoCo – Member

Tony24, which model fork and damper is it?

Retro the damper is different in terms of porting and function having an extra shim stack in it too, the only pictures I have are not good enough quality to use as off my old phone.
    The quality of damping is improved giving more control across the range, it’s also more custom tunable than the old damper units.
    I’m pretty cynical about new stuff, but I am seriously impressed with my 2012 Revelation RCT3s even as stock before I’ve started to retune things.

Cheers Loco, sounds good.

tony24
    Free Member

Loco they are 2012 Rlt 150 with remote lockout whats my best option ?

orena45

tony24 – there is a DIY method of removing the Poploc that involves taking the damper out and unclipping the spring inside, then replacing the top cap with the standard non-remote top cap. I’m presently in the middle of doing that conversion myself but getting the spring off is proving tricky!

EDIT – guide HERE

tony24
    Free Member

That looks fairly easy tbh wonder if its the same on the 2012 damper really hope so. I take it the travel reducer goes in the opposite side to the lock off part?

unusualbread
    Free Member

LoCo,

Could you go into more detail on what you think of the RCT3 compression. I am thinking about switching my BB unit for one but im curious to know how the shim stack is setup(similar to blackbox?) and whether its easily user adjustable, if there is still a “floodgate” adjustment, and how the low speed compression is set up (looks to be a needle but then how would that work?).

You dont have to go into that much detail but I would appreciate your knowledgeable input before I spend the money to get one.

Superficial
    Free Member

I was just about to ask the same thing – have you had a chance to look at the RCT3 damper? Like you I’m very impressed with my RCT3 Revs but I haven’t taken them apart yet (And I’ve not used the BB damped forks for any length of time, to compare).

LoCo
    Free Member

Yes have stripped mine (RCT3)down when I reduced the travel on my revs.
    The rl and RLT are basically just old style mocos with a different body, not a huge amount of difference performance wise.

Similar to last years BB Moco, with ports that are more or less open depending on the setting (open, Threshold, lockout)

The low speed adjustment, works on a piston that is fitted onto the end of the Moco, the more low speed the more oil passes through the shim stack on the piston.
    This is the interesting bit as it allows scope for a fair bit of tuning of the shim stack, which I’ll be ‘playing about with’ in the near future.

unusualbread
    Free Member

Cool thanks for the input.

So if I understand this right, the second, further out piston, is similar to a manitou abs+ damper that has a low speed adjustable needle port in the center with high speed shims surrounding it working in parallel. All the oil that passes through this piston hits the next piston attached to the dna spring in series. Now this piston has three positions which are: completely opened, closed with a light blowoff(platform), or closed with very heavy blowoff (essentially what the floodgate adjustment does on a RLT).

Let me know if I got this wrong.

unusualbread
    Free Member

So I got the damper and it worked just like I thought. It is a lot more sophisticated than rockshoxs previous dampers. I ran into a compatibility issue though. I bought my revelation used and it came with the PUSH rebound assembly. Well it seems like the rebound assembly is a little longer than stock so it was hitting the new RCT damper close to bottom out. It should not be a problem for people with the stock rebound damper. I am going to get the shorter sid/reba model and ill do a better write up.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Rock Shox Black Box Damper – Where From & Cost?’ is closed to new replies.