Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • Roadie content – what do you take with you?
  • pedalmonkey
    Free Member

Having found myself a new owner of a road bike, and having ridden MTB for 15yr with a camelback full of tools for every possibility, I’m informed that’s a no no in the ‘rules’. So what do you take with you and wheres it go?

Spin
    Free Member

A vague feeling of dissatisfaction at the back of my mind.

oldgit
    Free Member

This time of year. One small pump, two tubes, one lever. Just started carrying a tenner wrapped up in one of the tubes.
    No phone or food.
    All in the pocket

AndyP
    Free Member

Tube, mini pump, multitool, instant patches and coffee money. In jersey pockets, of course, where else?

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Pump on the frame, tube taped to stem. Quid tucked up short leg along with some haribo if I fancy them.

pjm84
    Free Member

2 tubes / 1 DH MTB tyre lever / mini pump and maybe a combination tool.

Then a Blackberry / some money / 2 breakfast bars for 50km ride. 4to 5 bars for a pacy 80km ride. Gillet if it looks like rain and I’m not wearing it.

All in the back pockets.

wwaswas

Just got a cross bike and facing same issues.

So far

Multitool
    2 tubes
    Tyre levers
    CO2 pump
    Normal pump
    Patches

Doesn’t feel like enough after years with a camelbak

AndyP
    Free Member

Pjm84…get any riding done inbetween the eating?!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Bike pump, water bottle, innertube, tyre levers, wallet, house keys. All in my Camelback Lobo

jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

one tube if i have one fixed, repair kit, small multitool, levers, pump on frame, few jelly babies or winegums, + nutty bar things if longer.

phone in a sandwich bag+earphones, keys

winegums have a tendency to break into inhaleable chunks when chewing, i’ve found (twice) so jelly babies are preferable there.

m6dwn
    Free Member

2 x tubes, pump, tyre levers, multi tool, bit of cash

midlifecrashes

For a day ride: One tube, puncture repair kit, tyre levers, small multitool, pump(on frame/bottle mount), cash, 1 debit card, phone with headphones for music/gps/tracker, house key, two cereal bars. All except the phone and food goes in a seatpack. Aim not to eat the food, just have it with me in case I’m hollowed out. Cafe/pub stop part of the ride for me.

crikey
    Free Member

Tube, pump, phone, card, gel.

pedalmonkey
    Free Member

Well I seem to have it covered, just doesn’t feel right being 50km from home without enough tools for a full rebuild!? Any pump recommendations? At the mo using my shock pump clipped to the frame which looks a bit messy.

antigee

tucked up short leg along with some haribo

that is a distressing image

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Any pump recommendation

Lezyne

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

+1 Lezyne,never read a bad word about them

jonba
    Free Member

tool, 2x tubes, credit card, money, phone, keys, pump, gas, powerlink, park patches, water, food as appropriate, jacket as appropriate, map if needed.

Goes in pockets and a small saddlebag.

I use a planet x combo CO2 pump. I can get to about 80psi with the pump alone in emergency but on the rare occasions I get punctures I pump it up a little then use the gas to get it to a decent pressure.

jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

also lezyne.

radoggair
    Free Member

same as above really. Co2 pump with 2 cartridges, 1 tyre lever, patches, 1 tube, small multitool, cash up shorts and food.

If its under 80 miles i’ll ride with 1 bottle and keep all my tools in a big mouth bottle on the frame. Only food and ipod i carry on me. If its over 80 miles then 2 bottles and everything put in pocket

bonzodog
    Free Member

Fizik saddle here, so….

Fizik clip in saddle bag with 2 tubes, levers, gas bottle, tenner.

Snickers & gel, gilet, ipod & mobile in back pockets.

nick3216
    Free Member

pump on frame, 1 tube, 2 tyre levers, small patch kit.

And most importantly two 15mm spanners.

montylikesbeer

Multi tool
    1 x tube
    Tyre levers
    2 x CO2 cartridges and dispenser
    2 x Park patches
    Iphone
    £10.00 note

Bez

Bare minimum for me: Tube, puncture kit, tyre lever, pump, multitool, Backupz lights, munchies.

bonzodog
    Free Member

^^^^ooh yes..forgot me multitool. A tiny Lezyne. Bostin.

thomthumb
    Free Member

airbone
    tyre levers
    tube
    patches
    phone
    wallet
    house key.

maybe a bar/gel if it’s 60km +

simondbarnes

Pump (on frame), couple of tubes, emergency patch kit, tyre lever, joining link, backup lights, food. Will sometimes take a small multitool.
    All goes in jersey pockets (unless I’m commuting, then it goes in a pannier)

Oh, also carry a phone for music, photos & Endomondo

stucol
    Free Member

Nick 3216, do your pedals fall off regularly ? (Or hubs)

edhornby

in little saddlebag, chaintool and powerlinks (learnt that one the hard way) multitool, dumb-bell spanner cos I have one to hand, tyre levers and a few coins with phone in a plastic bag – minipump attached to the frame somewhere

something to eat in the jersey pockets and a packable waterproof if the weather is crappy

GJP
    Free Member

Two tubes, levers, CO2 inflator, Multi-Tool, Phone, Money (may be Credit Card), small lock, HOUSE KEYS!!!!

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Multi tool
    1 x tube
    Tyre levers
    2 x CO2 cartridges and dispenser
    2 x Park patches
    Iphone
    £10.00 note

This

OmarLittle
    Free Member

tube
    patches
    tyre lever
    co2 x 2 and airchuck
    small pump on the bottle cage
    phone
    £10
    missinglink / powerlink
    multi tool – would recommend one with a chain tool. A snapped chain is rare but if it does happen it is a quick and easy repair with the right tool but a ride ender without.

_tom_
    Free Member

At the minute nothing, but I only really do short rides of about 25 miles and the odd 50 miler. When I get a new phone I’ll be taking that as a GPS tracker, find it helps me keep up my speed if I know I’m tracking it!

daleftw
    Free Member

A lot of disregard towards rule #30 here…

In my Lezyne saddlebag – Spare tube, 2 tyre levers, patches, a multitool, house key and an emergency tenner.

This pump on the frame.

Bait and clothes in back pockets.

AlasdairMc

Tube
    multitool
    patch kit with a powerlink inside
    Tyre levers
    Pump
    Water bottle
    A couple of cereal bars and my emergency Fruit Pastilles
    Saddle cover (it’s a Brooks)
    Cash, keys, phone in a tiny drybag

brooess
    Free Member

big difference btw MTB and road is road you’re never too far away from help. worst comes to the worst you can phone a cab to get you home, or to nearest train station. + less to go wrong in the first place.
    So you can go far far lighter on spares, just make sure you have the basics as listed above, phone, cash and card and you;ll be right.
    IME things hardly ever go wrong on the road, in comparison to mtb

Sancho
    Free Member

i dont carry anything just a bit of cash for some tea

Philby

Mini-pump on bottle cage.
    Two inner tubes, multi-tool,chain tool, tyre levers, and patch kit in small Topeak saddle bag. Also have a latex glove which helps keep your hands clean in case of a puncture or mechanical.
    In a plastic zip-lock bag – phone, keys, money for tea / cake, and powerlink which goes in rear pocket.
    Also often take a pack of Wet Wipes – great for keeping your hands clean. Used quite frequently – usually by other people I’m riding with who have a puncture, mechanical or on one occasion a body:road interaction which led to some bloody knees.
    Take a shower-proof jacket or gilet in pocket depending on forecast.
    Also food – normally 2 or 3 gels, energy bars or cereal bars depending on distance. On very long rides I will also take an additional electrolyte tablet (Nuun)to help avoid cramp.

TiRed

Nick 3216, do your pedals fall off regularly ? (Or hubs)

I suspect he’s riding a fixed wheel.

I take in pockets:
    Tube and Topeak instant patches
    SKS micro tool (includes two tyre levers)
    Topeak Pocket Rocket pump
    Jimi Wallet with cards and driving license
    Blackberry
    Nibbles

For the fixed and when commuting, I take:
    Cut down 15mm spanner
    Tube and Topeak instant patches
    Park Tyre levers (2)
    Park multi-tool allen keys
    Spare micro front light/torch
    All contained in a Decathlon water bottle tool bottle

Pocket Rocket pump on the frame.

In pockets:
    Jimi Wallet with cards and driving license
    Blackberry

sheffield43
    Free Member

I can’t remember the last time I used a multitool either on or off road even though I always carry one. Puncture related kit definately used now and again. Chain tool also been used this year after chain snapped. Would always carry a phone for rescue options/telling missus about impulsive extensions of ride. Maybe energy bar for rides over 2-3 hours. Money for cafe. 1-2 bottles water depending on length of ride. Don’t normally carry any spare clothing on road. Energy bars in pockets, everything else on bike (seat pack + bottle cages).

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Roadie content – what do you take with you?’ is closed to new replies.