• This topic has 33 replies, 30 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by kilo.
Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Road pedals: look or shimano? (sorry)
  • docrobster
    Free Member

I currently use mtb SPD’s on me road bike. Thinking of investing in proper road pedals and shoes. Which system is bestest?
    I had a quick “look” (excuse the pun) at the cheapest shimano ones, look keo’s and look compatables and the shimano seem a tad heavier but wider. Anything else that should influence my decision?
    Cheers all

4ags4
    Free Member

Have a look at Time’s iClic system.
    Recently switched to it from Speedplay and Shimano systems before that, and am liking it!

GJP
    Free Member

I have always used Look (using 9 degrees of float, red cleats) and have not had any problems, either with knees or reliability. I used to use SPDs on my MTB, again with no problems, but switched to Time and never looked back.

To be honest I never put much thought into it, I bought Look at the outset 10 years ago and have never seen any reason to change.

v8ninety

Time. (I actually have NO experience of their road system, just like their MTB stuff, and I’m feeling contrary.)

mrmo
    Free Member

using Time RXS? pedals are now 4 years old and going strong. They use a brass cleat rather than plastic so seem more durable than the Looks i used to have

anc
    Free Member

The Look carbon jobbies I used to have creaked like mad, binned them for dura ace spd-sl’s far far better and completely silent.

Haze

Time iClic are serving me well, although the cleats need changing a bit more than I’d like…

boriselbrus
    Free Member

I had look pedals and struggled to unclip with them. Switched to Shimano Ultegra’s and 4 years later I am still very happy.

crikey
    Free Member

I’m using Shimano 105 SPD-SL pedals; I never see the point of buying fancier ones. Pedals get a hard life, especially in the wet and the winter, and 105s work just as well as Dura-Ace for a very small weight penalty. SPD-SLs are essentially Look pedals with more sensible walking stubs, so last for ages and are quiet.

Militant_biker

I first went for Time RXEs, as I love Time MTB pedals.

I HATED the road pedal; I wore through cleats double quick, broke bits off of the pedals repeatedly and never liked the engagement. Replaced them with some entry level SPD-SL units and never regretted it. Now use 105s.

Blackhound

Had no problem with Look Keo’s. I use Campag groupset on the road so Shimano would be a bit of a no-no!

Rorschach
    Free Member

Switched to speedplays.it’s not so much the amount of float but how ‘free’ it is.Add in the double sidedness and extra cornering clearance and it’s a winner for me .

TiRed

I have Look KEO with grey cleats. The kids use SPD-SL. To be honest, the Shimanos are easier to clip into than the Look. But there isn’t a lot in it.

Look KEOs on my fixed wheel commuter. Starting uphill. At a junction. In the rain. Can be “challenging”

EDIT: ANd be sure to buy cleat covers. Available for both Look and Shimano.

docrobster
    Free Member

Cheers for the replies. I think Time and speedplay are out on cost really. Sounds like 105 shimanos are the sensible choice.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

i-Clicks for me. Lovely pedals.

Pauly

Keo2Max carbons for me. Excellent pedals, although I’m currently lusting after the KeoBlades…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’m currently lusting after the KeoBlades…

I love my Times, but I concur with the above. 🙂

MikeWW
    Free Member

Shimano all the way. You need cleat covers with the Look ones whereas the Shimano ones last a lot longer without needing covers

Kuco

I use Speedplay and love the amount of float.

project
    Free Member

Used to have Looks on the road bike, but swopped to SPD,s as you then only need one pair of shoes, also with SPD, the cleat is sunken into the sole, where as with Looks the cleat fits on the sole, making you walk like a duck, and theyre seriously uncomfortable to wear when walking even short distances.

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

cleat covers….do you fooook.

Used Looks for 15 years …..the first system and simply never had any problems. Cleats wear but no worse than any other manufacturer.

You can get keos cheap as chips now and their cleats are cheaper than shimano’s

(the paltform is miles bigger than an spd and the shoes are miles stiffer -there’s no comparison)

clubber
    Free Member

SPD-SLs for me (despite being a Campagphile) – all of the pedals work fine but for me, SPD-SLs have the advantages that they’re reasonably priced and also that the cleats last ages because the working surfaces aren’t the bit you walk on.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Keo 2s great choice great value.

Shimano for MTB, Look for road.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

iClics work really well, BUT you can’t service or re-grease the bearings. They lasted about 6 months.
    Moved on to Look Keo2 Max now, early days but they seem OK.

iainc

just bought Time RXS as my first venture into road pedals on the back of using Time’s on mtb – seem ok so far

djflexure

If I were to do it all again I would have spuds on road and mtb.
    Use Looks in the summer and they are not any bettter than the spuds I use all winter.
    Save the cash and spend it somewhere you’ll notice a difference
    IMO of course!

mudshark
    Free Member

Cycling Plus has a review of pedals this month, they like the Shimano PD R540s, I use them and as you can get them so cheaply (Ebay) it’s worth starting with them to see if SPD SLs are for you.

FuzzyWuzzy

Speedplays, even if you don’t want the float they’re still light, double-sided and have good clearance

MSP

and the shoes are miles stiffer

You use the same shoes for look and shimano cleats.

Shimano for me, zero float cleats, set them up properly, you only need float when they are set up wrong.

njee20
    Free Member

Been on Look for years, previously on SPD-SLs, I’m thinking of changing back. Shimano cleats last far longer, the bearings are better and the pedals don’t creak/click, which both my sets of Keos do periodically! Look are lighter though.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Shimano for me, zero float cleats, set them up properly, you only need float when they are set up wrong.

Absolute bollox.

MSP

Absolute bollox.

Nah its not, but you go on quoting common myths learnt on forums rather than based on facts if you like.

The knee and ankles should track in a straight line, not wobble about as they move through a revolution of the pedals.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

The knee and ankles should track in a straight line, not wobble about as they move through a revolution of the pedals.

Some of us unfortunately dont have perfect form and or injuries/bad knees. Having no float and bad knees is a recipe for painfulness, set up right or not.

kilo

Get whatever is cheapest or whatever you like the look of, as proved on this thread different people have different experiences (Mrs k has replaced spd-sl’s which started clicking, I use time, didn’t like shimano and time cleats last for ages, Look are fine etc, etc) so how your going to get a clear answer is not obvious.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Road pedals: look or shimano? (sorry)’ is closed to new replies.