Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Road bike – why does it hurt so much?
  • marka.
    Free Member

Sounds to me like you’re too stretched out. As already mentioned numb hands suggests too much weight on the front, I’d try a shorter stem or saddle forwards backwards

If you have too much weight on your hands move the saddle backwards so your arse acts as a counter-balance. Get the saddle position correct first, then find where your hands naturally fall and put your bars there.

See the “Saddle Front/Back Positioning” section on Sheldon here.

That’s what worked for me and for my wife, anyway. There was a better web-page than Sheldon’s but I can’t remember where, but it gives the general impression.

ahwiles
    Free Member

the guys in the shop were pretty incredulous aswell, what can i say?

i’m not scared of big bikes – i ride a 20″ blue pig. i’m 6’2″ and have a 36″ inside leg. i’ve always needed big bikes. my old pro-flex 857 even came with a ‘WAAY Big’ sticker instead of the usual ‘XL’

i’ve got a Hemlock, i wanted an XL, but Cy only makes a ‘L’ – so i need a 420mm seat post to get good leg extension.

my specialized allez has a 350mm seatpost – it’s not set at the limit, but i get good leg extension when i pedal.

i have to reach a little to get to the hoods, the drops aren’t too far away.

it’s very comfy.

it’s lots of fun.

54cm = 21″ (yes, i’ve measured it)

roadies are weird (a friend of mine has refused to join me on a ride until i turn my 6degree rise stem the ‘right way up’ (down))

Haze

5’7 on a 54cm with a 90mm stem here.

Can’t imagine anyone over 6′ being comfortable on mine!

ton

my roadbike, a surky lht, fitted with flat bars, barends and a brooks saddle, is as comfy as a nice old comfy sofa………… 8)

phil.w
    Free Member

That’s all well and good crikey, for a standard sizing guide but takes no account for the fact that humans are all different. A good bike fit studio will take into account differences between people in regards to biomechanics, flexibility and riding style.

A prescribed fitting technique will work for the majority but when people have a fit issue this is precisely the time a good bike fitting consultation will help.

john_l
    Free Member

There’s a load of shit spouted on here :o)

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

A friend of ours does the Specialized Bike Fit thing (she’s a physio) where she looks for any areas that might be causing issues – sometimes a wonky leg might mean a cleat needs moving or a long back might mean a longer stem is needed.

I don’t road ride much but my 2010 Allez is really comfy with no hand issues or backache. Something isn’t right on yours. Leg burn is fine, aches and pains other than that aren’t IMO.

tonyd

john_l – Member

There’s a load of shit spouted on here :o)
    Yes there is, but it’s good shit and works as a great diversion from exercise – I promised myself a trip to the pool at lunchtime 🙂

SiB
    Free Member

Has anyone actually asked if the saddle is still on? Would hurt if it wasn’t

tonyg2003

I’d advise a bike fitting too just make sure you tell them what you want – more confort not more “speed”.

I’d add that you could add some under the tape gel to you bars since this will add some confort plus go for a 25mm front tyre and only run it at 90-95psi. All these should reduce the harshness of a stiff frame like the planet X.

Although it may just be taking you a while to get use to the new position.

tonyg2003

I’d advise a bike fitting too just make sure you tell them what you want – more comfort not more “speed”.

I’d suugest that you could add some under the tape gel to you bars since this will add some comfort plus go for a 25mm front tyre and only run it at 90-95psi. All these should reduce the harshness of a stiff frame like the planet X.

Although it may just be taking you a while to get use to the new position.

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Road bike – why does it hurt so much?’ is closed to new replies.