Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Road bike tyres advice
  • Janesy
    Free Member

Ive been recommended these: Schwalbe Ultremo ZX 2011
    http://www.nextdaytyres.com/tyres/Schwalbe/Ultremo-ZX-2011.aspx

Any other ‘great’ tyres. I want speed above all.

Also, 23c or 25c?

sefton
    Free Member

conti grandprix

next…

Stuey01
    Free Member

Also, 23c or 25c?

I want speed above all.

23c…

MrSmith
    Free Member

gp4000s 23c

sefton
    Free Member

25c 😛

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Ultremo’s are made of cheese.

Continental FTW. I run GP 4000s in 23c flavour throughout the year and they’re excellent IMO.

oldgit
    Free Member

Speed at what?
    Racing this time of year fine, but a bit delicate for training this time of year.
    In general all tyres at a similar price point are good, and folk will have different views. For example Contis name is mud in our club and Pro race tyres are banned. yet I know they’re both great tyres.
    I’ve gone from Vittorias to Chalenge, love em.

Janesy
    Free Member

OK, so what does 25c give you? Comfort, grip but more resitance?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Another vote for GP4’s in 23 (the silver ones)

oldgit
    Free Member

Another vote for GP4’s in 23 (the silver ones)

Don’t people favour the Black Chili ones?

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

conti GP4000s in 23, fit and forget.

Janesy
    Free Member

Im seeing a trend here. Thanks

warton
    Free Member

you can get GPs in 22mm as well….

ianven
    Free Member

I’ve recently put GP4000s’ on my ss road bike and am very impressed so far. More grip and feel faster than the Michelin lithons they replaced

warton
    Free Member

if all you want is speed get the conti supersonics in 20mm

oldgit
    Free Member

ianven, but you have jumped up a notch or two there. Lithons are a tyre and that’s about it.

WTF do we have such an issue with Contis down here, especially as I get them trade. Even at cost I won’t use them.
    Is it the Black Chili and constantly wet and flinty roads? Someone I don’t know just threw in a remark about the compound going too soft in the wet?
    All I know is I’m gutted that I can’t fit the top dogs Contis when I get them for pence.

howarthp

Michelin Pro Race. Done ‘000s of miles and NEVER had a puncture

trail_rat
    Free Member

All I know is I’m gutted that I can’t fit the top dogs Contis when I get them for pence. “

why not ? your club has banned a brand of tyre ? – sounds like a bunch of nobbers to me …. much like the club that wouldnt let me ride with them without signing over that i would cease all involvement with my home club !

stevewhyte
    Free Member

25c give you a slightly different profile to the tighter 23c or 19c

The rolling resistance in a stright line is a funcion of your weight and the tyre pressures not the width of the tyre. Narrow tryes usually have higher pressure ratings.

i used to run 19c Slicks on my race bike but now i am riding for pleasure its just the cheapest most puncture proof i can get.

I have the Schwalbe Kojaks on my 26″ road bike, great tyre imho.

oldgit
    Free Member

Calm down missus. We had three different riders have bouts of punctures on three consecutive Sundays over last winter. So it’s just a ‘thing’ so we just make sure we have tougher tyres for the mud, gravel and grit. Still had two punctures on Sundays ride though, those new Mavic jobs.

stratobiker
    Free Member

Another vote for GP4000s here.
    I use the 25 with ones. I use them because they have more volume, and a little more comfort. I don’t find them any slower than 23mm ones. At least I roll as fast as the other guys in the bunch….faster than some.

I also race on them.

They’re good in the wet, don’t cut easily, and last well.

SB

sputnik
    Free Member

There is a tyre review somewhere out there on the web that made me choose GP4000S too!
    It was on a car testing facility, lots of water on the surface and the tester tried to lean as low as possible when he was cornering, so he tested like loads of the top end tyres and the GP4000S was the one that won the test.
    Tester was wearing a serious protective suit to protect him from getting roasties 😀

Found the test for you!

sputnik
    Free Member

Here is the test rider

crazy-legs

Ultremo’s are great tyres; very light, very fast, very grippy but they’re RUBBISH for anything outside of racing as they cut up very quickly.
    The Schwalbe Durano S is a better bet for all-round riding/racing/speed, they’re a lot more durable with very little weight penalty.

Specialized S-Works Turbo tyres are very good and a bit more hard-wearing but expensive. They do a couple of cheaper versions as well.

bm0p700f
    Free Member

I vote for what I ride and stock.

Continental GP4000s 23c or if you want puncture resistance Conti’s Gator Skins, they roll well enough and resist the flints you find around Suffolk and North Essex.

Now I am using Gator Skins I can go for ride and not get a puncture!

I second rolling resistance is a function of rider weight, tyre, wheel diameter (larger wheels equal lower rolling resistance) pressure, tyre sinkage and half the contact width. Tyre width has little do with it directly but tyre width is a function (loosely) of rim width which has an effect of the sinkage factor. The main factors though are weight and tyre pressure.

cynic-al
    Free Member

wider tyres have slightly lower rolling resistance (all other factors being equal) but are slightly heavier, less aerodynamic and rarer in light weight carcasses.

I like a wider tyre as you can run it a bit softer for comfort. Didn’t slow me down, tho I’m moving to tubs.

anc
    Free Member

GP4000’s are the only tyre I’ve used that doesn’t spin out climbing lakeland passes in the wet, brilliant compound for road use.

anc
    Free Member

Whoops double post, singletracktowers server mice on go slow again.

fontmoss
    Free Member

I need to get some conti gp4000s, looks like high on bikes is the cheapest place? Not sure 25 will fit the rear on my road bike but conti mtb tyres seem to come up narrow so might be worth a try?

MrSmith
    Free Member

been using the 4ooo’s and the next one down in a 24c (grand prix?) they both have black chilli compound. they are the perfect combination of puncture resistance, wear rate and grip.

don’t forget the tpi of the carcass and it’s ability to deform, this contributes to grip and ride quality.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Road bike tyres advice’ is closed to new replies.