Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 119 total)
  • Right then by Popular Demand- 'Winter Festival' London Pootle and Drinks
  • Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Keep getting people asking for this so might as well throw it out there.

It’ll be on Saturday December the 16th, and it will go where I say it will. Probbly meet up somewhere central, then head to somewhere like Greenwich for snacks and drinks, giving the option of trains/boats/cycle back to the centre.

There will be no discussion or argument over the route, as quite frankly trying to cater for everyone is impossible and things then just don’t happen. If I simply state when and where it is, then it’s up to people to decide if they can make it or not. None of this ‘ooh I can’t make it on that date but can make it on X date instead’ nonsense. This is a dictatorship not a democracy.

What I can guarantee is a ride full of fascination and wonderful things. History, architecture, art, design, politics, engineering and much more will all be involved.

Will probbly meet up around 11ish, gives a few hours for riding round and eating and drinking.

Bring warm clothing of course, whatever’s necessary for the conditions, and be self-supportive in terms of puncture kits, tools, pumps etc. Will involve a mixture of surfaces maybe but nothing too demanding, so most bikes are fine. No fixies allowed. Will be at a gentle social pootling pace, no hooning about. Full crabon road bikes probbly not the best choice, nor are full on downhill bikes but hey, s’up to you. The cold conditions will inevitably mean having to go inside to eat/drink, so proper strong locks are essential. Common sense is of the essence here. I will endeavour to find places which are better suited to locking bikes up as safely as possible.

Cameras; the more the merrier. Video cams too. Always nice to have a record of the day. 🙂

At the end of the day, it’s all about having fun with others, doing something we all love.

And if you don’t want to come then sod yer I’ll go on me own….

aP
    Free Member

Sounds fun, maybe on the 17th?
    Is we gwan go thru the badlands of New Cross Gate? [gulp] back via Millwall….

allthegear
    Free Member

Sounds good!!

Rachel

TPTcruiser

Pig’s Ear Beer Festival’s earlier in the month isn’t it?

Sue_W
    Free Member

Are non-locals allowed? Especially visitors from far-flung lands such as Wales?

Will be down in that big city for a meeting, so could do the Saturday. Sunday would also be a possibility depending on train times from Norfolk into London.

monksie
    Free Member

16th Dec is a Friday

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Soz; 17th not the 16th. 😳

I shall suitably chastise my PA…..

All welcome, including swarthy foreign types cos we’re diverse an ting down ear, innit? You may need to bring a translator if you speak a funny indecipherable language mind, so’s we can understand you.

The Pig’s Ear beer fest is earlier in the month, however there will still be fine ales on offer, don’t worry about that.

MrBlond
    Free Member

Fixie-ist

aP
    Free Member

But if you can ride down stairs on your fixie then it’ll be fine 🙂
    I think the tandem might be a bit dangerous around the likes of elfin…

allthegear
    Free Member

Sue – you’re in Norfolk???

Rachel

bikebouy
    Free Member

SS’ist..

Will be in that Loonedon that day too..

SS only though.

Sue_W
    Free Member

Rachel – will be at some point that weekend – my folks live there, so it’s a pre-xmas visit. Is that where you are?

Elf – wyt ti’n siarad cymraeg i Llundain? (… thinks I might need my passport to enter foreign Englandshire city …)

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Fixie-ist

I’m afraid so. I’m a member of the Make Fixies History movement. Our aim is to rid our streets of this vile abomination…

Singlespeed is fine, however, indeed actively encouraged. 🙂

Elf – wyt ti’n siarad cymraeg i Llundain?

😯

I beg yer pudden love? I hope you jolly well have not just bin rude. 😳

Passport? You’ll need inoculations!

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Finally, a pootle I can make & theres beer! YAY BEER!

Hey & I is gonna be down wid der yoof doncha know on me bastid SS conversion..

hilldodger
    Free Member

Will there be kebabs 🙂

theflatboy
    Free Member

the missus is working that day. i’m there!

bullheart
    Free Member

On the calendar. I’m in.

But I’m riding a fixie though…

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

No you’re bloody not. 😡

Don’t you have some railway sleepers to pick up that day or sumfink anyway? 😐

HD; there could very well be kebabs. I won’t guarantee it though. I can guarantee good food to be had though, that’s fo sho.

brakes
    Free Member

I’ll come if you do it in North London on the 18th and if I can ride my fixie, naked, without a lock

theflatboy
    Free Member

18th is my first wedding anniversary so I might not be able to make that one… 😆

bullheart
    Free Member

I am.

And it always comes back to the sleepers

Give it up man…

Sue_W
    Free Member

Yey! Have secured passout from family festivities for the day 🙂

(Bit of a tricksy conversation … hello family, I’m coming to visit the weekend before Xmas, but I have an important prior engagement … “what’s that daughter?” … erm, meeting some strangers off a t’internet forum to ride bikes round London … slightly stunned silence on the other end of the phone …)

Will there be tinsel, and funny hats, and mince pies, and slightly tipsy wibbling?

PS – I have a full compliment of gears and brakes (and a pannier rack!) – will I be allowed?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

And it always comes back to the sleepers

Give it up man…

I can’t. It’s an unresolved issue. I’m still upset….

(Wait for it…)

Got to deal with Sue first:

Will there be tinsel, and funny hats, and mince pies, and slightly tipsy wibbling?

I’m sure this can be arranged. Feel free to bring whatever Winter Festival* stuffs with you. 😀

(*So as not to upset any minority groups and that you see)

I have a full compliment of gears and brakes (and a pannier rack!) – will I be allowed?

Well we can take the pannier rack off and throw it in’t river, so you’ll be allowed, just….

Right. Here you go then Bully, I know it’s what you really want:

(He deliberately upsets me just to get this reaction, you know. 😐 )

DrP

No fixies allowed

Is it cos mine’s black? Racist.

DrP

(it is actually black)

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I don’t care if it’s a black singlespeed Lefty forked bicycle with odd sized wheels; if it’s a fixie it’s not allowed. My Pootle; my rules.

bullheart
    Free Member

Fine. I’ll find something else to do.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Will you still be wearing your little sister’s jeans?

Ooh, that’s not a pleasant thought… 😯

Ok ok you can bring a fixie if you must (Jeeze otherwise we’ll never hear the end of it) 🙄

I spose we really should welcome all without discrimination.

Just make sure the bloody thing’s got brakes ffs…

barn
    Free Member

Does a unicycle qualify as a fixie?
    It’s probably allowed as long as it’s not accompanied by ironic knitwear or spray-on jeans right?

Don’t worry, it’s not a 29er uni, so the wheel won’t explode or anything.
    Might stick an inflatable dinghy in my backpack so I can float home if we get the tides right.

bullheart
    Free Member

khani
    Free Member

Workin me… 😕 Soz….

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Ah, Khani; shame. 🙁

I have no idea what Bully’s on about, in fact I think he may very well have gawn mayd. 😐

Maybe the excitement’s all bin a bit too much for him…

Does a unicycle qualify as a fixie?

Ah Jeeze another one! 🙄

Bring what you want. I don’t care any more.

Sob.

😥

Sue_W
    Free Member

Surely ‘what type of mince pie’ is more important at this time of year than ‘what bike’?

… no? … ah, maybe it’s only me that’s already thinking of Christmas food then … 😳

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Sorry Sue you can’t mention ‘Christmas’ as it’s culturally insensitive. 😐

They have to be ‘Winter Festival Pies’ or nothing.

Hackney Rules you see.

Sue_W
    Free Member

Damn, no festive London Pootling for me 🙁

Have been trying to find a way of bringing my bike down with me (5 day trip, multiple places due to work meetings, family and friend meeting etc). But trying to sort out taking a bike on 10 train journeys, involving 3 different companies all with complicated booking proceedures, needing to leave London some time between 4 and 6pm, trying to find secure bike storage in central London – end result: IMPOSSIBLE! So much for encouraging more sustainable travel …

Looked into hiring a Boris bike – but expensive for more than short trips. So unless I can come up with another easy solution for a bike to pootle on for the day, then I can’t come …

Bummer! Was really looking forward to meeting up with folks.

nickf
    Free Member

Sorry, off to Australia then. Have a beer for me though.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Silly Sue. One of my bikes will suit you fine! They’re quite tiny. 🙂

duntmatter
    Free Member

Noooooooooo!

Cannae make it.

Sue_W
    Free Member

That’s mighty kind of you! Although I am smaller than small, so it might have to be you’re tiniest of tiny bikes (have had unfortunately painful close encounters with too high top tubes before – learnt the hard way that adequate standover height is crucial 😯 )

Although have found a bike shop that hires out fixies … am soooo tempted 🙂

aP
    Free Member

So is it still on then?
    What time, what place?

Sandwich

Trip to Brick Lane first Sue for a town runaround 😈

It will be cheap and good quality.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 119 total)

The topic ‘Right then by Popular Demand- 'Winter Festival' London Pootle and Drinks’ is closed to new replies.