Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Riding (natural or otherwise) between Fort William and Oban
  • superdan

Hi all,
    heading to a wedding in Oban in May with my Girlfriend, planning on riding the Fort William DH track (probably the XC loop aswell). What else exists between Fort William and Oban that we should check out (we are both pretty lazy, so an emphasis on quality over quantity, eg less than 30km, nice descents)? I have heard rumours of some excellent riding up in Glencoe. How do-able is the devils staircase type stuff for my Girlfriend (she can almost clean Birkets?spelling? Leap on the Borrowdale Bash on her Orange 5)?
    Is there any riding out of Oban itself?

I realise this is a bit of an open question, but lay your wonderful hivemind knowledge on me. Ta.

Dan

superdan

bump for the Monday crowd.

ononeorange

If you were up for more distance, the WHW between Glencoe and Victoria Bridge is great, then turn right down Glen Kinglass to Loch Etive. The run south down the edge of Loch Etive to Taynuilt is hard though (significantly undulating). Did it with Mrs O a couple of years ago, stunning wilderness ride.

From Taynuilt maybe try to get a boat across to Bonawe the next day, then it’s a quiet and very pretty road round to North Connell. From there it’s 8 or so miles of major road to Oban, but there seems to be a bit of a cycle path being built on some stretches.

superdan

Awesome, thanks!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I am fairly sure the old railway from Connel to ballachulish has been made into a cycleway

superdan

Just to be clear, looking for loop type “all mountain” (ugh, sorry) rides to do as we road trip around the bit of Scotland between Fort Bill and Oban. We are going to be in a van with 2 DH bikes and two biggish trail bikes. The sort of thing where we can park the van somewhere and piss off into the mountains for a couple of hours, then end up back at the van. Cake optional, but prefered.

How gnarly is the Devil’s Staircase?
    Loch Etive to Taynuilt sounds like fun

druidh
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    I am fairly sure the old railway from Connel to ballachulish has been made into a cycleway

Some of it has.

stevious

Devil’s staircase is fine. Quite rocky in places but not committing – you can get off if you need to.

stevious

Also: Most of the West Highland Way between Glen Nevis and Kinlochleven is really good. A few wee loops can be made by just looking at the map.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

A couple of hours? Not gonna find much bar some out and back routes maybe

Devils staircase involves a long ride back round on the road 15 or more miles with a couple of thousand feet of climb maybe?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Riding (natural or otherwise) between Fort William and Oban’ is closed to new replies.