Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Resting Heart rate
  • Tiger6791

So mines anywhere between 75 & 110.

Should I be worried???

Ed2001
    Free Member

It says to me you are worrying too much.

molgrips
    Free Member

75bpm no, 110bmp yes (that's assuming you are lying down fully relaxed)

Resting heart rate is dependent on a lot of factors, genetics being one and fitness being another. Also if you are ill it goes up, if you've eaten a lot it also goes up as it will if you have drunk coffee or various other things.

110bpm is pretty high though I think, unless you are really under the weather. I also have a suspicion thatif it varies a lot then that also can mean something – that's a pretty big range you quote. How does it vary and what makes it vary?

Tiger6791

I worry a lot!

younggeoff

thats high, how much coffee do you drink?

Tiger6791

It's sat at my desk now, got a few things on at the moment, lots of stress at work and a baby due any day.

and I played squash at 1pm for 40 mins.

HRM is now saying 90

2 cups of coffee a day, 4 or 5 cups of tea

Ed2001
    Free Member

If you are genuinely worried go and see your GP rather than listen to the quacks on here.

Keva
    Free Member

seven cups of caffeine drinks a day is a lot I reckon. I do one cup of tea in the morning and one or two cups of coffee during the day, nowt in the evening, watered down fruit juice or just water.

Keva
    Free Member

mines at a nice cool chilled out 45bpm.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

56 bpm, 2 teas, 4 mugs of filter coffee and counting, one smug face.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

YOu get biofeedback effects that alter it when you try to check it yourself. Resting heart rate is also not when sat at your desk. Stress will raise your heart rate

soobalias
    Free Member

im at 49 currently, given the double espresso after lunch and the fact that today is 'year end' im happy with that.

if you are worried, see your gp.

tracknicko
    Free Member

60, but i just gave me first ever lecture at the university! (and i was bricking it)

oldgit
    Free Member

Not neccessarily anything to worry about, mines high (check my old posts)
    On it's own it's just a number and there are people on here with lower HRs than some of the top pros but it doesn't mean they're any fitter.
    I had myself checked out over four months and though my rseting was high, I was found to be fitter than the butchers dog.
    Every other stat was spot on and recovery was excelent. So whilst it still remains high at resting I can punt out four good hours on the road between 155/163 and up to 180 on a normal climb which will drop to about 120 withing seconds of going over the top.
    Last Tuesday it was 103 putting on my shoes for the night ride and was as low as 90 during some of the ride.
    You need to spend some time and get it all into context.
    My wifes a very ill lady and her resting is in the 40s and she wouldn't be able to even get on a bike!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I get stressed whenever I measure mine. So I knock around 20 off. I'm doing just fine. 🙂

leftyboy
    Free Member

Measured whilst watching TV last night, sat on the floor with my back against the sofa (so body/legs in L shape) and I got 52 BPM which rose to 56 BPM when I walked up stairs.

Last time I did a 'proper' just woken up test it was 44BPM.

I'm 45 and I love it when a doctor or nurse take my pulse and then take it again because they think it's too low!

Having had a fair bit of surgery I once set off the 'low' setting after an op because the machine recorded my heart rate as 39 BPM!

oldgit
    Free Member

Tiger mines in the 70s resting. Durning the four months of tests I had at Hospital I was told the average is now anywhere between that and 110.
    It should also be noted that if you have a low pulse rate and you are not in top athletic shape then that would be of more concern.
    My mate did some research for me whilst I was undergoing checks and there are a good few tour riders with resting HRs in the late 60s.

leftyboy
    Free Member

Hi oldgit

Good point about low pulse rates but the key is if you notice a big change (up or down) which you can't account for (i.e. if you're riding more and you're getting fitter your RHR 'usually' drops). I've always had a low RHR even when unfit but when I'm at peak fitness (or what passes for it) my RHR doesn't change much maybe 2 – 4 beats so it's very individual I think.

molgrips
    Free Member

Mine is lower last thing at night than first thing in the morning.

I think it's something to do with the rise in serotonin levels required to get me to wake up and get going also increasing my HR.. stands to reason really.

coffeeking
    Free Member

My RHR is usually around 50 and my BP is about 80/60, despite coffees and stress. That might suggest I'm fit. I'm not. I've just always had such low figures, when I was fit I was down in early 40s RHR.

Keva
    Free Member

Having had a fair bit of surgery I once set off the 'low' setting after an op because the machine recorded my heart rate as 39 BPM!

yeh that happened to me once, same reading 39. I measured mine at 38 a few days ago. freaky!

Kev

singletracksurfer

i never rest…..

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Checked mine as soon as i woke up one morning and it said 37 bpm.Sounds impressive but if you saw me on my bike blowing out of my @rse this w/end you wouldn't think it was that low :D.Like others have said it is not a measure of fitnes,but if it suddanly jumps up from the day before it could mean your heading for a cold because your rundown or your overtraining.

ton

37bpm here too.
    check it every morning.

oldgit
    Free Member

Cancellaras was as low as 28 whilst boonens is in the 50s.

I no longer drink any alchol and caffine is three times a day max since Christmas 2009. That's when my tests started I'll re check RHR in a few months. Though I don't expect any change as it's been high since I started road racing in the 70s, and in 1985 when I was checked prior to doing a full Ironman it was still fairly high. So at least it's been consistant over the last four decades.

Caher

A few years ago 42 tested by the doc – quite interested to see what it might be now.

beinbhan

You should only worry when it hits 0

zaskar
    Free Member

Had an exam the other day and was stressed-95 bpm??!

Relaxed- 70bpm but I'm overweight and can't train/ride for a few weeks.

Lowest=55 from riding/training for 2 yrs and slim.

As long as you are under 40 you have less risk of cropping it but you should get it checked and relax a bit.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I scored a 47bpm the other day, which surprised me TBH. I'm fitter than I was, but not as fitt as 47bpm suggests.

Bunnyhop

I had this problem a few months ago. Was at 90bpm, have been ill ever since 🙁

backhander
    Free Member

Resting heart rate is not an measure of fitness, it can be an indicator but fitness is measured by VO2 Max only.

molgrips
    Free Member

Well depends what you mean by fitness. Speed on a bike is about largely threshold power to weight ratio 🙂

backhander
    Free Member

Fitness is;

capacity of the heart and lungs to supply oxygen-rich blood to the working muscles and the capacity of the muscles to use oxygen to produce energy

samuri
    Free Member

]I get stressed whenever I measure mine. So I knock around 20 off. I'm doing just fine.

If I knocked 20 off I'd barely be able to stand up never mind take my pulse. 😉 shapeau!

Mine's 56 at the moment which is way higher than normal, I have just finished my 100 push up/200 sit up exercises for the day though.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I knew this would turn into willy waving. Just checked mine and it's 26-30 sitting down, rising to 35 when I have a w4nk, late thirties if I'm having a threesome, rising to 195 if the two others in that threesome turn out to be blokes.

molgrips
    Free Member

26? Serious? Cool 🙂

Here's the second definition of fitness off dictionary.com:

The state or condition of being fit; suitability or appropriateness.

So fitness depends on what it's for…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

No, not seriously at all…the bit about 195 though, that's serious 😯

backhander
    Free Member

So fitness depends on what it's for…

My posting/quote was specifically related to cardiovascular fitness.

andy7t2
    Free Member

deadlydarcy your posting made me chuckle

GreenK
    Free Member

I don't have a very low resting rate either, about 65 BPM first thing in the morning. It can drop to about 58 BPM when I'm riding a lot and fit. Sitting quietly in a chair it is usually about 75 BPM. This has often had me puzzled about which figure to use when calculating HRR!

My HR also settles at about 105 BPM after exercise for about an hour, sometimes longer. I've been told that this is not uncommon.

Another thing that I've noticed is that my HR is VERY sensitive to anxiety, stress or excitement. e.g. If I'm excited and really looking forward to a ride I stand around at about 100 BPM. If I'm anxious or stressed then sitting down it is often around 90 BPM.

I do, however, take asthma medication which is well know for messing with your HR so all of the above is probably not that relevant to those without asthma! 😕

One last comment: My heart rate has been this way for decades (I'm 45 years old).

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Resting Heart rate’ is closed to new replies.