Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Recommend me some shoes to use with flats
  • SprocketJockey
    Free Member

I'm using flat pedals (V8s) more than SPDs these days. Unfortunately the pins have ripped the soles of the Merrell approach shoes I've been using to ribbons.

Thinking of getting a cheapish pair of skate type shoes for use with the flats. Any recommendations for grippy, reasonably robust shoes for not much lolly?

stevede
    Free Member

Try and find some discounted vans with a waffle sole. Any skate shoes will do a job though. If money wasn't an issue i'd recommend you some shimano am40's which are worth the extra IMO.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Thanks for that. That's kind of what I was thinking. Have just been looking at the AM40s… I don't doubt that they're good, but by god they're fugly.

stevede
    Free Member

Yeah i agree they are fugly and it put me off buying them for ages but with so many recommendations i gave them a go. Yes they look shite but it doesn't matter once they are muddy – i've kept mine dirty on purpose lol.

ahwiles
    Free Member

i think the AM40's look ace…

if it helps, they're very funcional – the flap over the laces is very handy.

comfy too.

people who've used Nike 6.0's tend to speak very well of them.

grumm
    Free Member

Try TK Maxx – they often have cheap skate shoes. I just picked up some Duffs for £30 that have soles that look similar to my 5:10s (but a bit less sticky). Not tried them for biking though.

wors

I got some cheap skate shoes from windsors. Very grippy but the so.e isn't very stiff.

Resin42
    Free Member

As an experiment I just picked up a pair of these.
    http://www.sportsdirect.com/airwalk-jogger-86-mens-241088?colcode=24108844

Not as clumpy as 5 10s, possibly not as sturdy either, I'll tell you after the winter. They do stick like shit to an army blanket though, grippier than any skate shoe I've used or my Nike 6.0. Pretty much how I imagine 5 10s to be but with out the price tag. For £22 you really can't go wrong.

Northwind

I've had 5 10s, well technically still do though they're retired, I don't think they measure up to my AM40s. Ever so slightly grippier, but less practical- they soak up water like you wouldn't believe, which combined with the general cheapness of the build and the cardboard insole meant they started to fall apart after one winter. The AM40s keep my feet drier, and dry out faster to boot, and are nailed together better. The choice of sole stiffness is nice too. I might consider a different pair of 5 10s in future but mine were just a fairly poor runner up.

Still, I do a lot of riding in an ancient pair of Vans, which aren't quite as good but still do the job perfectly well.

spw3

5.10s: no realistic competition.

jedi

etinies or emaerica. the need for shoes with soles made by spiderman (5-10's) i would question.

Northwind

"no realistic competition."

Have you used the AM40s?

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

Try this:

Here

Mugboo

+1 for TK Maxx

£30 for a pair of Adidas Hi top retro look basketball pumps, superb and tough

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Resin42 – how did those come up sizewise, are they tight or spot on? I'm on the lookout for something other than my 5.10's, they had a good drenching in the alps recently and the cardboard sole thing is disintegrating 😐

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

source bmx are selling loteks for £25 to £30 at the moment.

MadBillMcMad

just seen this Jenson USA

Anyone used them – the price is good

Seb_C
    Free Member

Loteks may be made for BMX/flat pedals, but I find them to be some of the least grippy shoes I've ever ridden in. Avoid.

Cheap Vans (waffle sole) are reasonable, and can be had for £20 in loads of places, just avoid the slip ons.

jedi

how you have your feet is more important than the grippyness.
    i like to move my feet around lots

mimi123
    Free Member

DC'S – TKMAXX …!

akira

Nike 6.0, can be picked up cheaply in various colours and styles and work very well.

Resin42
    Free Member

Kojaklollipop – Member
    Resin42 – how did those come up sizewise, are they tight or spot on? I'm on the lookout for something other than my 5.10's, they had a good drenching in the alps recently and the cardboard sole thing is disintegrating

A bit small on the sizing, I had to go one bigger. I've not gave them a good soaking yet so don't know how well they'll take it.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me some shoes to use with flats’ is closed to new replies.