• This topic has 37 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by momo.
Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • recommend me a short travel 4" or less play bike frame please
  • fd3chris
    Free Member

As above really. All of the frames that spring to mind, transition double for instance , all get bad reviews for climbing due to their slopestyle nature. I’m looking for a frame to take the sting out of the trail for my back ! Thanks

RobHilton
    Free Member

Banshee Rampant owner here – after up reading up on loads of these kind of bikes it was the only one that ticked all the boxes (aside from price – parting with a grand for a frame was a tough thing to do!). Most have a concentric BB which, apparently don’t pedal too well.

Can’t say it’s a great climber as it’s tiny and with a 50mm stem can be an effort – also can’t fit a front mech, meaning technical climbing is very hard. It does work well as an all rounder as it’s light and strong, descends well and is great for jumps and drops.

Not sure it’s what you’re looking for though?

monkeyninja
    Free Member

Commencal hip hop… I had a meta 4x and it was a brilliant frame as long as your not over 6ft you’ll fit one and they climb really well. This hip hop looks like brilliant frame if I hadn’t bought a banshee spitfire v2 I’d have gone for this, also look at gt distortion.

Rorschach
    Free Member

I thought Meta Hip Hop straight away as well.Low,slack and short travel (120mm though).

fd3chris
    Free Member

I’ve looked at the Rampant but it is out of my price range, I have a big f/s and two hardtails so its a want buy not a need buy ! I have read the commencal 4x is a good buy but I’m worried about it cracking as I need to buy in the bad years I guess to keep the price sensible. Thanks for the advice so far .

tymbian
    Free Member

Pivot M4X..

Stevelol
    Free Member

Blur TR. Transition Bandit

thepodge
    Free Member

If you don’t mash the pedals BB pivot frames pedal fine.

There aren’t many fun 4″ frames about especially if you’re looking second hand. You could look at an old trance, they were 4″, later ones 5″ and now 5.5″ but with them now being 5 or 6 years old there aren’t many about

RobHilton
    Free Member

The other frame I would have gone for would have been a Spesh SX, but as they’re rocking horse poo I didn’t have that option – at the time. Saw one (modern design, maybe 2011?) on ebay about 6 months ago that went for about £400. Was tempted, but it would have been silliness to have 2 of pretty much the same thing.

fd3chris
    Free Member

Yes I’ve only seen one spesh sx for sale recently. If bb pivot frames aren’t that bad then maybe a Kona bass might be OK? I will check out an older Trance, thanks as that’s one I hadn’t thought of.

Euro
    Free Member

I have read the commencal 4x is a good buy but I’m worried about it cracking as I need to buy in the bad years I guess to keep the price sensible.

There are no bad years for the 4x. It’s the old meta frame that’s a cracker

‘Play bike’ and ‘good climber’? Good luck with that 😀

fd3chris
    Free Member

I know ! I’m starting to find out no one really does this, which amazes me as in my local woods it would be so much fun.

monkeyninja
    Free Member

If you go for a 4x make sure it’s after 2010. I had a 2007 which cracked and was replaced with a 2009 which cracked and was replaced with 2011 which was solid.. Luckily all under warranty! After the problems in 2009 they changed manufacturers and the difference was really noticeable the welds were a lot stronger and the swingarm was reinforced. The 2 earlier frames cracked at the shock mount but the new 2011frame had a lot more weld round the mount.

I did decide to ride my 09 for a year after I noticed the cracks and they never really developed into anything worse, I was using the frame for jumps drops and dh so it was getting ridden hard. I chanced the warranty and got lucky as it was outside the period.

I just sold the frame in December for £500 and it was in excellent condition I figured I got lucky with the warranty and had had a good time riding these frames so was happy for someone to get a bargain. If you going for one stay away from pre 2010

fd3chris
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice as at the moment that frame is looking the best for an all rounder .

Euro
    Free Member

There you go, i was talking pure shite (cheers monkeyninja!!! 😛 ).

monkeyninja
    Free Member

There is 2 on pink bike now a black and green one and it has the same crack as the one I had, I stripped the paint back and it was the weld that cracked but it was only on the 1st bead. Then there is 2012 blue one you can see the difference in the welds.

fd3chris
    Free Member

I’ve looked at the cracked one due to it’s price and I’m wondering if it is fixable or whether to give it a miss. Do you know if they can take a Hammerschmidt or at the very least a dual ring up front?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Can’t believe nobody has mentioned it yet… A Blur 4X.

One of the best bikes I’ve ever owned. I built it with all sorts of parts… 150mm Fox 36s, 160mm Fox 36s, Magura Thors, 150mm Revelations, 3×9, 2×9, 1×9 etc etc. Best setup was 1×9’d with some 150mm Revelations, big bars, dropper post etc. Wasn’t too bad as an all day bike but was absolutely brilliant on the descents and just mucking about type stuff I generally do.

fd3chris
    Free Member

@daveyboyhwonder, nice bike bit hard to get hold of though I’m finding.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Yeh, pretty rare and getting rarer but if one pops up, its worth it.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Granted it’s 5″, but Kurt Sorge uses a small Trance X as a slopestyle bike. Just so happens I have a cheap one for sale.. 😉 climbs well too!

Rickos
    Free Member

*cough*

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/kona-howler-frame-4-inch-travel-razzer

Can do it for £250 with the original Fox Vanilla shock instead if you prefer.

monkeyninja
    Free Member

The 4x can only take a single up front don’t know about hammerschmidt. I rode 1×9 and you get used to climbing like that pretty quick, you build strong legs fast. I rode my 09 with a crack like that either side of the shock mount and I was riding the bike hard. The crack only developed into the first three beads of weld and there was about 20 either side. I spoke to someone about getting it fixed and he said it could be done. It depends how heavy you are and how hard your gonna ride it.

andymac
    Free Member

Banshee Wildcard? More travel at 135 mm than Rampant but much better climber. Getting reasonably cheap now and a proper Slopestyle bike.

jamiesilo
    Free Member

i’m with you fd3chris!
    i’ve been boring my friends about this frame which ought to exist and perhaps doesn’t, for ages.
    100mm out back. up to 150ish on the front, not necessarily as solid or heavy as a fully slopestyle bike, and still capable of climbing if you put the seat right up. right?
    other contenders. maybe a yeti 4x? or i’m curious about the nukeproof rook, and a cove hooker was the other one.
    pricey options tho. everytime i’ve mentioned on here someone’s suggested a blur 4x. worth a shot by the sounds of it

Karl33to
    Free Member

I think the GT Distortion and DMR Bolt are also similar frames to add to your list.

jamiesilo
    Free Member

hmm, pivot m4x looks nice.
    i gues you could just put up with the extra weight of a bike like that and soon wouldn’t notice

mamadirt
    Free Member

Go for the Howler!! 😛 I’ve owned a couple of Cowan DS frames – similar but with BB pivot so not great climbers but loads of fun. Also had a Kona Dudu (predecessor to the Howler) – lovely little bike. Currently loving my Cove Hooker which is pretty similar to the Howler (climbed perfectly well with its original RP23 but I’m a coil fan so it now has a lovely plush ancient Vanilla shock . . . I’m in no hurry to get to the top 😉 ). There is a new Hooker frame on the ‘bay at the mo’ but it’s hideously overpriced (paid just £799 for mine from CRC just a year ago 😛 ). Oh and the Hooker is pretty long too for a 15″ frame.

iamroughrider
    Free Member

dmr bolt?

cloudnine
    Free Member

I have a dartmoor shine.. Im a short arse though and can get away with pedalling it sat down with the seat post right up..

samcamsdad

Orange blood? Use mine for everything from 30 mile lakes rides to Dh uplifts, and general messing about on jumps. Can still find frames second hand. And there great fun bikes.

mirage

+1 for the blood, brilliant fun and definitely pedals well.

I have a 2006 Trance frame I was going to get around to selling. Will sell for £220 posted with rp23 shock, shimano bb and a headset. Shock serviced and bearings all changed very recently. It is copper colour and has plenty of cable and heal rub but apart from that in perfect working order.

_tom_
    Free Member

DMR Bolt would be ideal, might be a bit heavy though? That Meta Hip Hop looks great as well.. I want a bike like this! Have a scott voltage which is really fun but heavy and often feel 180mm each end is a bit much for what I ride.

Mugboo

Original Hemlock with short rockers, 100 mm travel with 160 forks, perfect. If you do snap the chainstays, Cy does some massive ones to replace them.

It weighs a lot less than all those slope style thingys too.

ajantom

DMR Bolt long? Has a bit more length on the seat-tube and top-tube.

It is a heavy frame, but it is made from steel, so pretty bombproof. My DMR Bolt comes in at 31 lbs as a single speed. Not really trying to make it lightweight – could drop nearly a kilo by changing the Pikes! So potential is there for a 31-32 lb geared build.

Rickos
    Free Member

I agree with mama! Buy my Howler. 😉

momo

I’ll add another vote for the Blur4X, I’m on my second one, first was a medium and was too small for me (I did keep riding it for 2 years though) which I sold last year, managed to pick up a large frame off here which I’m much happier on.

I’ve ran mine with 140mm air forks and shock, 1×9, 2×9, 3×9, currently setup 2×10 with a clutch mech and bashguard and 160mm 36 vans and a DHX5 coil and a reverb.

I do think about changing for something else, but only because I fancy something shiney and new, I forsee the 4X being with me for a few more years yet!

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘recommend me a short travel 4" or less play bike frame please’ is closed to new replies.