Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Recommend me a campsite near York?
  • thomsonru84

As above can anyone reccomend me a decent campsite within an hour of York, ideally towards the coast. Got 2 young kids so somewhere they can ride about on the bikes without to much hassle would be a bonus, not overly fussed about a play area for them but another bonus.

Any ideas welcome as a quick search on ukcampsite brings up loads within the area so previous experiences may help narrow it down for me. Thanks

thomthumb
    Free Member

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/t/Ripley-Caravan-Park-Harrogate-2688.htm

stayed here last summer.

toilets/ facilities all excellent. pool/ games room/ play area / football & bike field for the kids.

we found some of the residents a bit noisy tbh – no one wants to hear a pissed up geordie going on about his ‘back sack and crack’ at 1am.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Spiers house, Cropton forest. Great campsite, used it about 3 times and will be going again next week. You’re about an hour from York and from the east coast, lots of gentle (fire road type stuff) trails through the forest, decent play area, good showers etc.

davetrave
    Free Member

Hagg Rigg Farm or Pexton Moor Farm at Dalby, entertainment for all the family – good MTBing (!) for you, family trails for the kids/SO, play area at the visitor’s centre is brilliant. About an hour to York and not far at all to Whitby or Scarborough…

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Gotta say this place – http://www.howstean.co.uk/

Client of ours and he has teepees. Also has the bonus of having outdoorsy things to do onsite (caves, gorge walking, via feratta etc).

(Unfortunately it isn’t near the coast though).

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Ohh and fiends have stayed here and said it was good – and on the coast.

Has teepees again http://www.pinewood-holiday-park.co.uk/

MoreCashThanDash

@ barnsleymitch – we are there next week as well – do we need some sort of secret STW handshake?

thomsonru84

thanks for all the suggestions, sadly there shall be no major MTBing involved as the youngest is still on stabilisers and there’s no SO to supervise whilst I go off to play.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Morecash – I’ll be the one in the knackered swobo t-shirt / badly behaved chocolate lab / two deranged kids / hot wife combo. 🙂

MoreCashThanDash

I’ll be the one being told by my wife that I could have taken my bike if I’d really wanted 🙄

nbt

Can second Pexton Farm, basic but friendly and right nect to Dalby. There;s also a lovely campsite in Rosedale Abbey, which has 2 great pubs and one OK pub.

dunsapie
    Free Member

Stayed at Ripley caravan park a couple of weeks ago, couldn’t fault it. My 2 boys were out on their bikes (11 and 2), they loved the play park and the swimming pool. Was quite full when we were there because of the Yorkshire show and Jules Holland was playing at Ripley Castle.
    Would definately go back.
    Loads of ducks roaming around, even found some in the awning one evening.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a campsite near York?’ is closed to new replies.