Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Recommed me the Best Cheapish Cable Cutters
  • londonpride
    Free Member

I want ones which last and suitable for brake, gear cables as well as hoses

Thanks

passtherizla
    Free Member

ones from halfords have been totally fine, cut really clean, I have done goodridge gear cables, inners and outers, hydraulic hoses for my brakes all clean and straight, they were £12.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

buy cheap, buy twice….

Get a set of Parks Tools CN-10 and you won’t regret it.

Liftman

and

ads-b
    Free Member

Bought some from ebay that lasted one cable before blunting. Sent back and bought the ones from halfords. Still cheap, but work great.

neil853
    Free Member

Superstar do some, the ol’fella bought some and although cheap seem to work OK. If its just for occasional use they’d be fine, otherwise invest in some of the above Park versions

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I’ve found that hoses and cable outers are best cut with a hacksaw for the cleanest results, mini hacksaw will do and will probably cost less than £5. Cables can then be cut with any decent wire cutters. So long as you don’t try and cut stuff much thicker than gear/brake cables then any half decent wire cutters will last for years.

Having said that I use the Park Tools cutters which are good but not quite as good as the Shimano ones. It all depends on how well you look after your tools. I paid a little more but I don’t expect to ever buy another pair of cable cutters so in the long run they’re cheap enough.

binners

I’ve got a set of these from Maplins after a recommendation on here

http://www.maplin.co.uk/240mm-cable-cutters-217876

They do the job fine for inners and outer cable, and brake hoses. Which you can’t moan at for 9 quid!

scaled
    Free Member
    magowen100
    Free Member

http://www.screwfix.com/p/ck-cable-cutter-210mm/51831?cm_mmc=Google-_-Datafeed-_-Tools-_-CK%20Cable%20Cutter%20210mm&gclid=CIb8_Zb_i64CFQcRfAodjRCf5A

Used for cable inners, outers and brake hoses on the smaller cutting surface, spokes cut with the larger cutting surface and still sharp.

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

Can you cut some Goodridge hose with a hacksaw? I need to trim one down when I build my new bike up? Last time my crappy cable cutters would not touch it ans they have been thrown in the bin!

jimw
    Free Member

the Parks tools CN10 are £27.45 at Merlin if you apply the discount code at the moment

thomthumb
    Free Member

ebay wire rope cutters.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

I have some Park Took cutters and they are OK at best.
    I also have Lifeline cutters and find them better.

Northwind

Ebay cheap wire rope cutter man no longer sells cheap wire rope cutters 🙁

My Park CN10s were one of the worst tool buys I’ve ever made tbh. The crimping tool is nice, but otherwise they cut cables less well than my £2.29 ebay cutters even when they were brand new, and wore quickly as well. I’d not have been impressed with them at a fiver never mind £30.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Recommed me the Best Cheapish Cable Cutters’ is closed to new replies.