Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • recomend me spds' with more float
  • sheephills
    Free Member

I run cheap shimano M505 but my rear foot regulary unclips during bunnyhops, tabletops and tight turns..
    Come from bmx and like to stay more free on the pedals..

druidh
    Free Member

Try something from Crank Bothers – Eggbeaters or Candys

garrrrpirate
    Free Member

Time atac, not crank bros.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Yep, Time are the ideal choice here.

I still use these;

mainly as I simply cannot kill them!

Would love a pair of these, though;

Time pedals offer more float, and are virtually indestructible. After using a pair of ATACs for about 8 years, I handed them to a friend who needed a pair of pedals. Never thought to ask for them back, turns out he’s still riding them (unserviced, same bearings etc) about five years later.

Superb product.

skinnysteel
    Free Member

Times here too. Bought my first pair in 1997. Still going strong. Replaced the bearings 3 or 4 times, but otherwise indestructable.

GrahamS

Why not crank bros?

My Mallets have served me well and have plenty of float without unclipping.

Cos it’s fashionable to slag off crank brothers. Yeah they come in a nice box and some of their stuff is style of substance but their pedals are decent

donsimon
    Free Member

Time.

druidh
    Free Member

GrahamS – Member
    Why not crank bros?

Received Wisdom. Rather than reply based on actual experience, simply repeat what other folk are saying so you look like you’re part of the “in” crowd.

khani
    Free Member

Time..fit and forget.. Got a pair four years old, no maintenance, original bearings, still perfect.. 😀

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I use time, lots of lateral movement, easy clipping in when full of mud, nice ‘clunk’ when you clip in. Mine are quite old and not needed any maintenance.

Simon

+1 for Times. Plenty of float and the springs wear out long before the bearings do.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Time – I have used them for years[about a decade] and only ever had to replace one set of bearings across 4 bikes. was about £2.50 for the bearings and took minutes to do. Lots of float, never block in mud and just work

or

Rather than reply based on actual experience, simply repeat what other folk are saying so you look like you’re part of the “in” crowd.

Not sure which i am doing 🙄

no experience of crank borthers so cannot comment

Superficial
    Free Member

I can sort of understand feet coming unclipped doing tables (doesn’t happen for my wonky-legged efforts, mind), but if it’s happening during bunny hops, you’re doing it wrong. Either your cleat tension is wrong, you’re got multi-release cleats (look for an ‘M’ stamped into the bottom of the cleat) or your bunnyhopping technique is… atypical.

Paceman
    Free Member

Used Crank Bros Candy’s and Eggbeaters for years on all my bikes, work flawlessly through rain and shine, and would definitely give you the extra float you’re after. Maintenence issues on earlier ones have largely been sorted on the latest design.

bigad40
    Free Member

My crank bros mallets came in a nice box with a cool sticker.
    No problems after 3 years abuse in all British weather (including droughts).
    Happily get same again.

jonnyrockymountain

I currently use Shimano pedals wound out so easier to clip out!
    Are time pedals adjustable in this way ??? Does anyone know

Yup, change spring tension with a twist of a screwdriver on shimanos.

If op is local then I would be happy to lend you my candy’s for a spin

EDIT- sorry thought you asked about shimano. No idea about time but I would strongly suspect it’s adjustable. The time crowd will be here soon to confirm

rickmeister

LOved the eggbeaters but they did fall to pieces at critical moments on long multi day trips and left a big spike to stab a calf…. these were well maintained too but the end bearing kept failing and the springs fractured..

Maybe newer ones are better but I went across to Time Atak. We have these on all our bikes and across the sets they have been brilliant and fuss free for years. Utterly dependable across our 6 bikes.

donsimon
    Free Member

Are time pedals adjustable in this way ??? Does anyone know

Of course they are.
    http://www.singletracks.com

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Received Wisdom. Rather than reply based on actual experience, simply repeat what other folk are saying so you look like you’re part of the “in” crowd.

Or……a lot of experience in the bike industry, seeing loads of CB products come back in their lovely little boxes, utterly ruined. Time stuff doesn’t come back. It just works!

The only failure I’ve ever seen on a Time was a mate who smashed part of a Z-platform off at Brechfa in a crash. On the Blue run! 🙂 (Well, we were going rather faster than most at the time!)

charliedontsurf

Time atacs and the other times are awesome.

The only people who use spds is people who have not tried times.

tallie
    Free Member

Another happy Time user here – I’ve had my ATAC Zs (same ones as CFH’s first pic) since 2002 without any maintenance or snags.

In the interests of balance I haven’t really tried any other pedals apart from brief flirtations with SPDs (before I got the Times – didn’t like the lack of float and mud clearence) and flats to sort my manualing out a couple of years ago.

zangolin
    Free Member

Worth checking what Superficial said – although I think using SPDs with a platform will help.

but if it’s happening during bunny hops, you’re doing it wrong. Either your cleat tension is wrong, you’re got multi-release cleats (look for an ‘M’ stamped into the bottom of the cleat) or your bunnyhopping technique is… atypical.

I think the majority of BMX racers tend to use Shimano DX M647 or similar so platform type SPDs should not really give you problems – also the likes of Gwin and Gee Atherton use DX SPDs with no problems. The platform on the DX SPDs would help with keeping clipped on when ‘table topping’ etc.

sheephills
    Free Member

Thanks for all the input, i think im gonna give the Time Attack Z a go..

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Time atacs and the other times are awesome.

The only people who use spds is people who have not tried times.

Back on SPDs for me.. I didn’t like that there was too much lateral rock with Times.. Z-controls work well though if you have a shoe with the right sole height to counteract it.

Steephills.. I’d try a new pair of cleats first, and check each spring hasn’t been damaged by levering the back plate back with a screwdriver.. You’ll feel if there’s a weak one.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘recomend me spds' with more float’ is closed to new replies.