Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Recomend me an electric shower.
  • singlespeedstu

Our 12 year old shower has just died so i’m looking for recomendations for a new one.

Must be under 8.5 Kw as our wiring won’t take any more. 😐

bazookajoe
    Free Member

Just put in one of these Triton T80Z which was decent price and does the trick. It’s 8.5kw but think there may also be a 7.5kw or another one that is very similar at 7.5kw. Easy to fit. Replaced an old Triton Opal II that packed in after many years.

RustyMac

I have a Mira Sport 8.5kW shower, this has been faultless in the last 3 years i have used it. I believe it has been installed for approx 6 years now so am going to presume it has been fine since then.

It looks a lot like this one. I have not searched for prices so don’t know if this is competitive or not.

http://www.tapoutlet.co.uk/zest-white-chrome-dual-control-8-5-kw-electric-shower-hand-shower.html

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Mira, every time

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Another vote for Mira.

deepreddave
    Free Member

I had a mira sport 9.8kw installed recently and the flow is utterly dreadful. Could be the water pressure on the 3rd floor but it comes out of the cold tap pretty quick so I’m due to measure the flow and ask the plumber to look at again. Not sure I’ve helped there really so will just confirm that everybody said Mira when I was reseraching which one to get.

singlespeedstu

Thanks for the replys so far.

Anyone else feel free to chip in please.

cinnamon_girl

Does it have to be electric?

granny_ring

Is there no way you can upgrade the wiring to 10mm?
    You’d really notice the difference with a 9.5/10kw if you can.

singlespeedstu

I have a feeling if we go down the upgrade the wiring route it’ll lead to the whole house needing to be done. 😐

Yep it needs to be electric.

cinnamon_girl

OK, I used to have the non-electric version of this:

http://www.mirashowers.co.uk/onlinecatalog/detail.htm?productNumber=MIRA SPORT 7.5KW&section=Electric showers&resultPageKey=316145834-0&category=

What I thought was particularly good was the on/off button didn’t affect the temperature. For example, due to being on a water meter, you could save money by using the ‘off’ button during a shower, say when shampooing hair. The temperature control remained in the same position so the water was a consistent temperature when you pressed the ‘on’ button to continue.

Hope that makes sense!

cinnamon_girl

@ deepreddave – in Winter it takes longer for an electric shower to reach required temperature, according to Mira’s website. I’ve actually given up using my electric Mira one but have another bathroom with a Mira non-electric which works well.

Neil-F
    Free Member

I replaced a Mira shower with an 8.5kw Triton, which was much cheaper than anything in the Mira range, and so far after 8 years has been much better pressure wise and utterly reliable.
    I’m not saying Miras are crap, just that they cost more for no apparent reason.

granny_ring

You’ve done well getting 12 years out of your electric shower, can only guess you live in a soft water area?

When we moved into our house there was a 7.5kw shower fitted which was just about ok in the summer but in winter the flow was so slow as we had it set on max temp.

Upgraded the cable to 10mm. I lifted the boards and did the first fix, sparky came and connected the triton 9.5kw shower up. The difference in temp and water flow was huge. Only trouble was about a year later it packed up as the heat exchanger had scaled up very badly. Very hard water round these parts. Fitted one of those electronic jobbies that supposed to reduce the scaling which does help a tad. We just accept that we have to sort it out every 18months – 2 years.

EDIT – Have got a basic Gainsborough 9.5kw which was cheaper than Triton and Mira. I’ve also been able to remove the heat exchanger from the older shower and descale with vinegar so will try and refit that when our current one packs up so in theory wont need to buy another shower for a while. In theory…. 🙂

thorpedo

I recently installed a Mira Jump – Seems pretty good and has different options for water and electric connections so it can be installed in many cases straight onto the existing connections for the old shower.

deepreddave
    Free Member

@ CG – that’s a thought thanks but it feels about 1/8th of the power of the combi fed mains ones so it’s currently hugely disappointing especially as it’s in the nice new shower cubicle…..

turbo1397
    Free Member

+1 for mira.. great showers and very reliable..

Bunnyhop

You’ve done well Stu for over 12 years.
    Our 5.5 year old electric shower gave up on us 2 days ago, it too is a Mira and we’re in a soft water area.
    Hoping to get some plumber type person in soon.

pease
    Free Member

I’m a sparky and the plumbers always go for the mira sports. They do seem to be pretty reliable.

nealglover
    Free Member

I used to be a plumber, and I always used Mira Sport on my bathrooms installations.

I had a mira sport 9.8kw installed recently and the flow is utterly dreadful. Could be the water pressure on the 3rd floor but it comes out of the cold tap pretty quick so I’m due to measure the flow and ask the plumber to look at again. Not sure I’ve helped there really so will just confirm that everybody said Mira when I was reseraching which one to get.

There is an issue there as the 9.8 Sport is a great shower, I’ve had 2 myself and installed loads without any problems at all.
    More than likely water pressure at the shower.
    Check out flow rate at the shower feed if you can, depending on the pipe work it could be very different from the pressure at the taps.

totalshell

we always use mira sport. the variety of fitting solutions is the key.
    if your having it installed by an electrcian he ll make the decision about the condition of the wiring and install appropriately.. read into that what you may..

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Recomend me an electric shower.’ is closed to new replies.