Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Rebecca Romero goes mountain biking!
  • 100mphplus
    Free Member

I wonder if this;-
    http://www.bikemagic.com/event-features/rebecca-romero-goes-mountain-biking/7408.html&?source=weeklyemail&attr=news3

is anything to do with this;-
    http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest/434328/olympics-track-decision-due-this-week.html

How cool would that be if she got an XC medal in 2012 8)

fatboyjon

Sounds possible, but track speed really has no bearing on MTB skills. I guess her best hope would be if the course for the 2012 MTB event was really cr4p. Can't see that happening with all the great mountain biking venues in the UK, it's not like it'll be round a field in Essex.

weeble
    Free Member

Saw her riding on Cannock Chase once at a trek demo day

Nezbo
    Free Member

I did on of the Merida's last year, i was riding most of the way round with her. Hope she does get a medal if she does go to the olympics 🙂 , really nice girl(lady).

njee20
    Free Member

How cool would that be if she got an XC medal in 2012

Judging by her performance at the Brass Monkeys there are a fair few people more likely than her to get an Olympic XC medal 🙂

Annie Last's gotta be in with a shot anyway, judging by current performance.

Dibbs
    Free Member

She was on R4 this morning, apparently they're talking about dropping her event (individual pursuit?)from the 2012 Olympics. Edit: Must read threads properly before I post 😳

tonyg2003

I've know Rebecca since she was the parcels girl at my mates bike shop. Great cyclist but too big for a XC whippet. She'd be a better bet for the road TT.

AdamML
    Free Member

She'd be a better bet for the road TT.

She'd better get training now then, else she'll get thoroughly trounced by Emma Pooley and Kristen Armstrong. Being a good pursuiter doesn't mean she'll be a good TTer…

tonyg2003

The road TT at 2010 will be very flat compared to Bejing. I don't think that anyone would expect Emma to repeat her 2008 result on such a course.

Being a good pursuiter doesn't mean she'll be a good TTer… errr Boardman, Wiggins, O'Grady, McGee …..need I go on.

AdamML
    Free Member

Fair point on the course perhaps not suiting Emma in 2012 (although if there's not as many hills her descending – i.e. her biggest weakness – won't be as exposed, but her climbing won't be able to play as much of a part either)…

All I was trying to say was that the ability to perform on the limit for 4 minutes, or 10 minutes in a rowing race, doesn't mean she'll be able to perform on the limit for an hour, or that if she can her limit would be enough to win a medal. I agree that the guys you've mentioned are excellent pursuiters and much better at TTs than me, but only Boardman (of that group and that I am aware of) has won a World or Olympic medal in both disciplines.

njee20
    Free Member

Those are examples of people who are good at both, it's not necessarily a given!

I can't comment on the exact circumstances, as I wasn't there and I hear it was pretty horrendous, but I was quite surprised that an Olympic gold medallist was so far off the pace at that MTB race anyway. She dropped 7 minutes on lap one against someone who tends to do more on the road anyway! I'd have expected someone of her 'background' to excel in adverse conditions anyway, she must be more used to suffering for her sport!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

but track speed really has no bearing on MTB skills

true, but a lot of track riders come up form BMX, therefore have rad to the power of sick levels of mad skill!

Anyway, even if you looked hard, I doub't theres an XC course in this country that it would take more than a days coaching to get an absolute beginner round.

scruzer
    Free Member

bbc radio have had her on 2 mornings on the trot so she's getting some air time in… Practicing for those jumps? lol

AdamML
    Free Member

true, but a lot of track riders come up from BMX

That's where a lot of the track sprinters come from, true…

njee20
    Free Member

Anyway, even if you looked hard, I doub't theres an XC course in this country that it would take more than a days coaching to get an absolute beginner round.

Let's not get into this again… but whilst a lot of XC circuits may not be very difficult for the weekend warriors on their 6" travel bikes, fat tyres, gravity dropper seatposts etc, they're a lot harder to do absolutely flat out at 99% Max HR, 7 times in a row, without any sight of a clear line, on a bike not designed to descend particularly well.

Anyway, if her technical skills are good then she's REALLY slow judging by her debut!

juan
    Free Member

bbc radio have had her on 2 mornings on the trot so she's getting some air time in… Practicing for those jumps? lol

You in the naughty corner.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It's mid winter, she's probably resting

i was riding most of the way round with her

Implies you were being sociable, and hardly riding flat out?

Winter races used to be just off season practice for the quick guys, now the mid group guys aim to peak later in the year in order to do well in the 'less compettative' winter races.

It's the opposite in sailing because the summer series' tend to be less compettative as the big boys are all off at the national/regional meets and all come back to race in the club autumn/winter series.

njee20
    Free Member

There were no 'really' quick women at that event, even elite level riders in the off season still do well, see Scott Forbes, George Budd and Tim Dunford in the male races, they're all enjoying an off-season and still doing well, people don't suddenly go half speed!

I'm sure she's just been resting, but that performance certainly doesn't suggest 'Olympic champion in 2 years' to me… Still, fair play to her for converting from rowing to cycling in the first place.

joolzed
    Free Member

I think if anyone read the race report and subsequent rider comment on the Brass Monkey's event, you'd find that Romero had to drop out mid race due to a mechanical, which cost her about 15mins. She then headed back out and was running just a coupe of mins off 4th but decided to pull out with just 15mins to go due to lack of brakes…
    It was her first race in appalling conditions on a borrowed bike…
    I think she did well. Be good to see her at a few BMBS's next year to see if she can develop those bike handling skills. You never know she could be good, given the chance, at least she's giving it a go and is realistic to know she won't be brilliant at it straight away… She's quite down to earth when you speak to her…

njee20
    Free Member

You never know she could be good,

I don't doubt that in the slightest, she's clearly got the pedigree and the drive, and it would be good to see her succeed!

As an aside Amy Hunt did alright on her first time out. 😉

epicyclo

I suspect she was probably under advice not to risk injuring herself.

joolzed
    Free Member

Um, Amy Hunt was a few years younger when she did her first ride, makes a big difference. It hurts a lot more the older you get if you crash:0)

judderman
    Free Member

i'll be right behind her all the way

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Rebecca Romero goes mountain biking!’ is closed to new replies.