Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Rear lights… suggestions on a decent one
  • rickon
    Free Member

Hi chaps,

I’m after a decent rear light for my partner, I would buy a Exposure Flare but there are none in stock at the moment as far as I can see.

Any suggestions? Something bright with a good visibility from far away…

Cheers everyone

Ricks

simondbarnes

Been very happy with my Cateye Rapid 3. Got it rack mounted with a cateye loop light on the seatpost as emergency backup.

morgs
    Free Member

*bump & watch*

Waderider
    Free Member

Moon Shield

crazy-legs

Evans have the Exposure Flare in stock.
    Great light, I’ve got 2 of them. I’ve had various rear lights over the years and always got fed up of them dying at the first hint of water or having crap brackets or getting through batteries every other week.

Exposure Flare is bombproof, ultralight, actually runs brighter on rechargeables than on disposable and has a secure bracket that can still be fastened and released in 3 seconds.

Stoner
    Free Member

I have one of the single 1/2w smarts (with 2x lower spec LEDs) and it works very well. So I reckon this could be pretty good esp for that price – 2x 1/2W LEDs.
    http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/LISMRTR2/smart_lunar_r2_rear_light

EDIT: This is the one I have, and am very happy with

morgs
    Free Member

EDIT: This is the one I have, and am very happy with

I just bought an identical looking thing from argos*, with a front light for £14.99. Made by ‘challenge’. Seems ok….

*bough as an emergency replacement fro tonights ride home as the other one fell off on the way in 😳

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I run two or three cheapo (but bright) one one steady , two flashing at different rates. Don’t forget reflective tape as well anyone want some email me – I have loads

seanoc
    Free Member

That Smart R1 above is very, very, very good; I generally wear one on my jersey pocket. It’s not as waterproof as it probably should be but if you tape it up it’s fine.

That Smart R2 above is insanely good; I’ve got two on the bike and they are mental.

Nothing beats an Exposure Redeye (the big one) which goes on my lid.

warpcow
    Free Member

For commuting I use a Smart like Stoner’s and a cheapo flashing one (with a liberal application of reflective tape on the bike frame, like TJ said). For mountain-biking, I’ve got a Blackburn Mars that’s survived years of wet, freezing abuse.

anto164
    Free Member

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cateye-tl-ld610-led-rear-light/

That light is fantastic. Bright and a nice size.

Bazz

I’m currently using 2 Fibre Flares, one on each seat stay, and an old Cateye light that has seen about 5 years of use and is still going strong (touch wood).

The Fibre flares i have on flash and the standard light on constant.

fasthaggis

Same as tj ,two cheap an cheerful on the back + a some Aldi LED bands round the ankles. I also wear a pink hi viz with Careful Now on the back( for non back pack days).
    I have found the cheap lights fine, if you weather seal them and fit decent batteries.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Anyone rate these.?

Stoner
    Free Member

nah, rubbish idea. Stupid concept really. Load of junk. Think the designer was on Class As at the time….

djc1245
    Free Member

I got a mini flare from Start fitness. Got a flourescent ruck sack cover, must be good coz i havent been run down yet

rp16v
    Free Member

i have the ld-600 and its bombproof its on the commuter all rear round and gets bouced up and down curbs allot highley recomend also one23 do a really bright rear light and is v small.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Anyone rate these.?

Actually I rate mine very highly. Had a few other commuters chat to me about it at the lights while waiting. See loads of people with hiviz vests on with dirty great black rucksacks over the top of them thus defeating the object.

Only design flaw really is the reflective stipes are at the top and the mesh pocket is at the bottom so I’ve flipped mine over (never use the pocket anyway).

A bit expensive but there is a cheap version in some other shop that does industrial reflective that I’d probably try next time. For £9 it’s something to try Linky here

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Exposure Flare on my seatpost shining under the (seatpost mounted) rack – reflecting off the mudguard, rack etc – good ol’ glow. Then a Fibreflare across the back of the panniers, flashing, with a Cherrybomb hooked on the loop in the middle of the panniers (flashing). Then an old 5 LED Cateye on the drive side seatstay on a random flash. Loads of reflectivity and sometimes even an armband with red LEDs too.

They’re all good in their own way – the more the merrier and lots of reflective moving bits helps. The Flare is a great light on its own – very bright, but you need to jack up the mount otherwise it shines downwards. Just a bit of s/a foam padding works fine, but I’m not sure why all their extensive R&D didn’t tell them that most people’s seatposts are angled below 90 degrees. 🙂

Northwind

My Smart R2 is very bright but also very directional, definately wouldn’t have it as an only light. Cateye in general seem to have good angle brightness, which is still something that LED lights tend not to do too well… I do like my 610.

edhornby

blackburn mars 3.0 and it’s good, bright and doesn’t waste the batteries

I’m getting some spoke reflectors, the ones that run the length of the spoke – having seen them in action they are well worth the antwacky look

MoreCashThanDash

Smart R1 is great VFM, the holy hand grenade gives great side visibility, anything small and bright on your helmet will make a huge difference

benjbish

Fibre Flare…. very good!

footflaps

Hope District is very bright, I run that and a 1/2W Smart on flash for my commute home.

v8ninety

+1 for the Smart 1/2watt here…

Goz
    Free Member

Hope District for me.v bright.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Someone just emailed me about getting some reflective tape as I have loads and I deleted the email out of sheer stupidity – so if you want to email me again?

morgs
    Free Member

Sam Brown HV belt gets wrapped around my backpack too

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Flashing FibreFlare – good for side visibility.

Lots of idiots in London that just ride round with those Hump covers and no lights – great idea.

rickon
    Free Member

Cheers chaps, bought my missus a couple of the Smart lights.

That Hope District looks awesome, overkill, but awesome.

nealy
    Free Member

I’ve got a RSP Astrum (http://www.wittons.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=2499&c=01&i=B002RL1068) which has 2 x half watt LED’s and is the brightest rear light I’ve seen so far, I’m sure the one from Smart will be quite similar.

I’ve also applied this black reflective sticker sheet to various parts of my bike (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=23560)

AndyP
    Free Member

The Flare is a great light on its own – very bright, but you need to jack up the mount otherwise it shines downwards. Just a bit of s/a foam padding works fine, but I’m not sure why all their extensive R&D didn’t tell them that most people’s seatposts are angled below 90 degrees.
    I’m sure they’re aware. It’s kind of the point of the light mount. You get a nice section of road behind you lit up. Best light EVER. Plus, for those of you who like your bike to look like some kind of comedy mobile disco, the ‘flash’ mode has ‘constant’ as its base, rather than the quite ridiculous ‘off’ option.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I have a Light & Motion Vis 180 and that certainly gets you seen. It is charging off my laptop as I type this. Very pleased with it.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Rear lights… suggestions on a decent one’ is closed to new replies.