Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • RCcarworld.com
  • bearGrease

Mini-greaser has earnt himself a reward and is after an RC car about which I know b*gger all.

Where should I start? Budget is >£100 and he’s probably after an off-roady one. Was hoping for one that will allow repairs and/or upgrades.

Any online stores come recommended? Or even an actual, physical shop, preferably in central Scotland?

v8ninety

Traxxas FTW. Sturdiest stuff in my opinion. The slash is almost indestructible, though not to all tastes as it’s a ‘short course truck’ style car. This means it has covered wheels as opposed to the open wheel monster trucks and buggies, and helps with damage resistance I think, as the bodywork/bumpers take the hit rather than the suspension more often than not.

lesgrandepotato

Tamiya and build it together – its half the fun!

matt_outandabout

We went to the really helpful Tayside Models in Scone/Perth.

They sold us a FTX Surge, with option of a nicer and stronger one just too much money. Iirc it was £80, next one up was £120, which mini oab didn’t have. Best bit of FTX is you can get spare parts, unlike some.

It shifts, flies nicely and so far has busy one bit of bumper when rolled into kerb of ramp.

Cougar

How old is he? Self-build an option? I had more fun building mine than I ever had from driving it.

Merak

Volition

Don’t bother with Tamiya. Outdated, slow.

The truck above is rear wheel drive, oil filled shocks, 30mph. Bargain. I have one. Upgraded now to brushless and Lipo. It’s rapid.

Northwind

Wonderland has a ready to run Tamiya Rising Fighter for bang on £100. Is it good by today’s standards? Haven’t a clue but it’s a rising fighter and therefore cool.

martymac

I can recommend tay models, ive used them a few times.
    As for an rc car, id be looking for something with a quick charger rather than a quick motor, most kids will crash a quick rc car instantly.
    Something with big wheels will handle grass more easily, oil filled shocks are good, but not essential, a spare battery would be more useful.
    Don’t discount tamiya straight off, spare parts and upgrades are plentiful and reasonably priced.
    Most recent car i bought was a schumacher mission, carbon fibre chassis, belt drive 4wd, oil filled shocks etc. Complete with 4 spare sets of wheels and tyres and two bodyshells for £25 off ebay.
    Added my own radio, and a brushless motor/speed control, cheap £20 battery.
    Dunno how fast it goes, but anyone who has seen it always says holy sh*t!
    Total cost around £120

bearGrease

Thanks all, plenty to look at there. We’ll probably take a trip to Tay Models.

allfankledup

I now know where I’m going to on Saturday morning…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘RCcarworld.com’ is closed to new replies.