Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Putting heli tape on a frame – tips from somebody who's done it please!
  • Kendal
    Free Member

Having read various reports of iffy paint jobs on On One bikes I plan to protect my new 456 frame with Heli tape, (when it arrives!) Now I’m the sort of person who can tie themselves in knots when trying to wrap Christmas presents, and the use of double sided sticky tape would appear to be a black art as far as I’m concerned, so, any hints on how to put heli tape on a farme properly, or is it fairly straight forword?

Liftman

Hair dryer

jimw
    Free Member

Having done six or seven frames I will offer my tuppence worth, but I don’t claim to be an expert and there has been a lot of swearing involved over the years

Make sure the frame is absolutely clean. I degrease them as well. Keep hands as clean as possible and avoid touching adhesive side. I make paper templates for awkward bits. I have also warmed frame up first with fan heater which seemed to help a bit. Hairdryer also good plan for curvy bits

But above all, don’t rush

andyl
    Free Member

as above ^

clean with IPA and keep your hands clean during too and wipe down areas again right before sticking the tape down. Use a hairdrier to warm the tape and do it in a warm area.

seanodav
    Free Member

dip the tape in mild soapy water, fairy or similar will do then apply squeezing out the water. Lets you move the tape till in place

jackthedog
    Free Member

Will echo the above, particularly the bit about taking your time. It’s not a quick job to do neatly, and as it’s a job that’s meant in part to aid aesthetics, it’s worth doing neatly.

I’d always recommend making paper templates first, and try to make sure all your shapes are swoopy and all your corners have a large radius. Avoid angled corners, as sharp points will start to peel quite quickly.

Keep everything – frame, hands, work area – clean, and use heat to keep the tape soft and pliable. And use a properly sharp knife to cut the tape. Scalpel the best, otherwise brand new blade in a Stanley knife will do.

And be patient, don’t rush.

andyl
    Free Member

^ yup, radius any corners. Internal and external ones.

zerocool

+1 for dipping tape in mild soapy water and then squeeze it out once applied. Makes it much easier to reposition. I think Bike Tart had a good how to video a while back, otherwise check YouTube

Kryton57

All of the above – if you can tape the frame after its been indoors (or any heated area) for 24hrs even better.

Superficial
    Free Member

The soapy water thing makes it a million times easier. I spent ages ‘fixing’ bubbles on the first frame I taped (dry). The wet method allows you to get the perfect position with no messing.

I wouldn’t ever consider doing it dry now.

Mugboo

Never used the soapy water thing but sounds like a plan. I always use a hair dryer to warm the area of frame first and the tape.

Kendal
    Free Member

All great, thanks one and all.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Putting heli tape on a frame – tips from somebody who's done it please!’ is closed to new replies.